• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're kidding about GM, of course. Pretty shady how they alighned the pensions with AC Delco and then spun AC Delco off as a separate company which then immediately filed for bankruptcy which then, of course, let us taxpayers pick up the tab. I'm pretty sure they did not disclose THAT plan before implementing it.
It was tongue in cheek. GM and many other companies are not as transparent as we want them to be.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I figured. I just wanted to hijack that to rant, again, about one of the main reasons I don't consider GM vehicles when shopping.
GM is no better than the rest of them. At least we penalized VW over and over again with record amounts of fines over 450K cars. Plus we all agreed that having them electrify America was a good thing, thus why EV's now will be more popular too. Then VW was pressured into making EV's here in the USA all while creating American jobs at the plant in Chattanooga, TN. All of this while GM lays off Americans in their USA plants. Maybe we need to punish GM like we did VW. Then they would be creating American jobs as opposed to shedding them.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
GM
91,000 employees in 2014,
103,000 employees in 2018

While that is total employees, I understand the number of US workers has declined. If workers continue getting more expensive, GM will continue to move to more economical areas to manufacture... The union, while serving a purpose of protecting workers, is going to protect them all to the unemployment lines eventually. Union workers like to think they compete only with other workers in the US but the unfortunate truth is that they compete on a world-wide basis. GM doesn't move plants overseas because it's more expensive to build vehicles in other places, they do it because its less expensive. If GM (and their stockholders) decides that it is just too expensive to operate in the US, they'll just move their whole operation elsewhere. Think about it. at $1.00 per hour, GM would probably make every vehicle in the US because they'd save enough in labor to overcome any shipping and tarrif costs. However, at $10,000,000 per hour, they wouldn't build a single vehicle here. Right? So... somewhere in the middle is the line between building in the US and building overseas. I think we are awfully close to that line.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
GM
91,000 employees in 2014,
103,000 employees in 2018

While that is total employees, I understand the number of US workers has declined. If workers continue getting more expensive, GM will continue to move to more economical areas to manufacture... The union, while serving a purpose of protecting workers, is going to protect them all to the unemployment lines eventually. Union workers like to think they compete only with other workers in the US but the unfortunate truth is that they compete on a world-wide basis. GM doesn't move plants overseas because it's more expensive to build vehicles in other places, they do it because its less expensive. If GM (and their stockholders) decides that it is just too expensive to operate in the US, they'll just move their whole operation elsewhere. Think about it. at $1.00 per hour, GM would probably make every vehicle in the US because they'd save enough in labor to overcome any shipping and tarrif costs. However, at $10,000,000 per hour, they wouldn't build a single vehicle here. Right? So... somewhere in the middle is the line between building in the US and building overseas. I think we are awfully close to that line.
Other companies build vehicles here in the USA. So if the USA is too expensive, then why do companies keep expanding operations here as opposed to GM? If you want to see real high labor costs, look into Germany. Yet they can build cars for the US that can compete with GM. When was the last time you heard that GM or Ford were expanding use manufacturing operations here in the USA? Then have you ever hear of a foreign company expanding USA operations?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Other companies build vehicles here in the USA. So if the USA is too expensive, then why do companies keep expanding operations here as opposed to GM? If you want to see real high labor costs, look into Germany. Yet they can build cars for the US that can compete with GM. When was the last time you heard that GM or Ford were expanding use manufacturing operations here in the USA? Then have you ever hear of a foreign company expanding USA operations?
Other companies build here to avoid import tariffs. I know our workers are more productive (They actually show up for work every day) than other country's workers. Ford and GM have both increased the number of line workers in the last 4 years while decreasing the number in the US. There's a reason for that and I'm sure it isn't because they said "Hey, I know a way we can lose a lot of money..."

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Other companies build here to avoid import tariffs. I know our workers are more productive (They actually show up for work every day) than other country's workers. Ford and GM have both increased the number of line workers in the last 4 years while decreasing the number in the US. There's a reason for that and I'm sure it isn't because they said "Hey, I know a way we can lose a lot of money..."
You have to ask yourself, "Why are other foreign companies increasing their number of workers in the US?" If it's to avoid tariffs then GM would do the same. GM pulled out of the EU and is been greatly reduced in central and South America. Asia is not really big for them and that leaves them with not much left. I do agree that foreign plants are mostly in the US for the Americas market. BMW is the exception. When you look at all of the other companies, they do quite well and its not just the plants but all of the suppliers and engineering centers. Then that is passed onto the suppliers of the suppliers. The majority of them are US based which are in the heartland of America. We need to take that into consideration.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From Halloweens past

Your Elio’s “Costume”
October 25, 2019

Happy Friday Elio’ers! The Halloween holiday got us to thinking about different ways to “dress up” your Elio. With Halloween just around the corner, we thought it’d be a good time to think about the different applications for your vehicle. Plus, we get tons of different requests and suggestions when it comes to available options. So, today we’ll revisit how you will be able to customize your Elio through different wraps.

Let’s start with the basics. From time to time, we get asked just what a wrap is. Simply put, vehicle wraps are essentially a new skin to go over the paint of the vehicle to change the color and look of the vehicle. A wrap covers every single painted inch of the vehicle. If you go to our website and use the configurator, you will be able to get a feel for how wraps will look on the Elio. Keep in mind that the wraps we currently have listed are only a small sample of the wraps we will have available. The wraps currently on the configurator have more to do with different shades of color.

Among the Elio Motors community, there are some really talented photoshop artists. We have been sent hundreds of ideas for different wraps, from a Captain America themed Elio to an Elio shark, and they are all awesome! We plan on having a ton of different wraps to make the Elio as unique as you.

We often get asked if we will offer custom paint jobs straight from the factory. Part of the reason we’re able to keep the base price low is by producing 14 total vehicles from the plant: 7 different colors and 2 different transmissions. We will not be offering custom paint jobs, but we’re confident you’ll find a local shop that will get the job done. We will also offer some pretty awesome wraps that will rival any shop’s expertise!

For those of you that plan on using the Elio for business, using a wrap will make your vehicle extra-eye catching. Not only will the sleek design and unique configuration turn heads, but if you choose to use a customized wrap you’ll really command some attention while you’re cruising around town. The Elio and a wrap will make for a great 1-2 combo!

Thanks for your support and have a tremendous weekend!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get that they are putting out the blogs again because some people are probably just now finding Elio and are curious. But, I question the thinking that people that are just now finding Elio are unable to simply do an internet search and get all the same information.

When (date) do you think Elio will put out a new Blog? It has to be substantial more than just changing a couple of words. I basically mean When will they put out a blog that has new information? And before you say "Never", try to think about when Paul would put out a blog that says somthing along the lines of "Despite the efforts of a great group of people, we regret to inform you that Elio motors is going to be unable to get to a point where we can produce Elios. We will continue to try to find someone else to take the helm and possibly produce vehicles."

I'm betting for Christmas, Paul will put out a "Thank you for your patience/I'm still working on it." blog. Actually, I'll guess the Friday before Christmas.

Top Bottom