• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Fiberglass?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Odd thought... I wonder if at some point if a customer wanted to and could afford it, could an all carbon fiber body be produced (edit: using similar processes)? Not saying I want one, but it would probably look incredibly bad ass.
The CF can be done as a wrap

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That front clip photo is extremely realistic in its detail, I seriously doubt its a photo-chop but I could be mistaken. No one has mentioned the name of the file is 'Creamsicle', the color shown is a far cry from the non-metallic 1970's orange of the P4. This new color has depth and character, looks more bronzy-copper-ish and just may be metallic with a clear coat. Agree? Love the headlight enclosures. This project just keeps getting better 'n better.View attachment 8937
That's MY CREAMCICLE ORANGE!

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is the fiberglass impregnated with plastic? Blended? Layered? Awaiting anyone with more description on the topic fiberglass-reinforced plastic. Will shopping carts nick this?

thanks for any responses
Shopping Carts are the Kryptonite to every car finish. There is no answer for any car actually in service and not in a box.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It looks like the reflection of a window on the front clip, and I can see the window crossbars in the headlight as well. Will Blender do that? If so, that's pretty awesome.

Oh yeah, it can do that. What you're seeing is multiple emission planes (light sources) and the "frame" is empty space between them. They (Blender) had a tutorial of a couple wine glasses. I did it a year or so ago, and wasn't even rendered at the highest level, but still looks relatively 'real' [below video]. The emission plane can be seen in the reflection (everything around them is a virtual black 'nothingness'), and the glasses are sitting on another created plane that doesn't emit light. Unfortunately, the laptop I had the original modeling file on bit the dust, but here's a link to the original tutorial. It's free open-source software, so if you have some time and some patience, download it an have some fun!

wineglasses.jpg

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the name of the file is 'Creamsicle', the color shown is a far cry from the non-metallic 1970's orange of the P4. This new color has depth and character, looks more bronzy-copper-ish and just may be metallic with a clear coat. Agree?
Yeah, that color is inifitely better than the P4 orange. I could see owning something this new color, but never something like the P4 color.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, that color is inifitely better than the P4 orange. I could see owning something this new color, but never something like the P4 color.
Never in my life have I liked orange on a car. But I could live with the orange in that pic, add just a touch of metallic and I might be close to even choosing it voluntarily.

jrm_cr_fl

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall reading that they will have their own presses for the body panels on site. I didn't know that fiberglass was a part of the process though. Thanks for the link explaining SMC.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be a little misleading to use CF in the crash testing unless EM plans to use CF as the standard material for the panels.
I never intended to suggest they use it for crash testing, just as an option for any customer that would like a CF body. It would most likely end up being way too expensive for most customers, but there's always that one customer with more money than sense. And either way, it would look pretty frakking cool.

Top Bottom