• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Fiberglass?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I never intended to suggest they use it for crash testing, just as an option for any customer that would like a CF body. It would most likely end up being way too expensive for most customers, but there's always that one customer with more money than sense. And either way, it would look pretty frakking cool.

I'm making molds of the hood and trunk shortly after I get mine home [while the finish is still pristine]. I have no idea how much the SMC parts weigh, but I'd bet a RTM version of a CF hood or truck lid would weigh half as much and be twice as strong/stiff...I'll let you know next year. ;) Still deciding on which weave to use on the "pretty" side.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm making molds of the hood and trunk shortly after I get mine home [while the finish is still pristine]. I have no idea how much the SMC parts weigh, but I'd bet a RTM version of a CF hood or truck lid would weigh half as much and be twice as strong/stiff...I'll let you know next year. ;) Still deciding on which weave to use on the "pretty" side.
The carbon fiber Elio, whole grain goodness for the discriminating palette.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I made a kevlar tail fairing for my BMW K1200LT. It was my first attempt at making something like this, but I found some good instructions here, http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/carbon-kevlar-rear-luggage-boxes-it-has-begun.650175/ He also post some on FB as High Desert Carbon Works.
BMW M1_2 8-21-2012 6-56-29 PM.JPG
IMG_1472.JPG

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know very little about CF manufacturing. What choices are out there that would work for body panels?

I've bought resin from these guys for a different project, and they have a CF "sampler" that gives you a little swatch of each pattern they carry. Some of them are very '3D-looking'. I'll just need to lay them up on a piece of glass [should give me a good idea of what they'd look like with a clear gel coat], and see which looks coolest in the sunlight.

Edit: I've already got about 3yds of the 2x2 twill, but I bought that stuff before I found the Fiberglast website.

Top Bottom