• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust Upgrades?

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If pumping losses could be significantly reduced by a larger set of pipes (which would not be any louder)
then the Elio would have them. Want power? Wait for the turbo version, and stop believing a set of larger
pipes will do anything. Reminds me of those low -income, old Honda Civic youngsters who slap a big muffler on
the car. I guess since it makes a lot more noise, they have convinced themselves it's going a lot faster.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Given that tradeoff... I'll take quiet.
You'll get your wish because that is how it's going to be delivered.

If pumping losses could be significantly reduced by a larger set of pipes (which would not be any louder) then the Elio would have them.
Except you are forgetting the other factor: Cost. Larger pipes cost more money.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If pumping losses could be significantly reduced by a larger set of pipes (which would not be any louder)
then the Elio would have them. Want power? Wait for the turbo version, and stop believing a set of larger
pipes will do anything. Reminds me of those low -income, old Honda Civic youngsters who slap a big muffler on
the car. I guess since it makes a lot more noise, they have convinced themselves it's going a lot faster.
Nah! I think they just like the noise. Most kids seem to prefer loud to quiet. :-) Z

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Except you are forgetting the other factor: Cost. Larger pipes cost more money.
Yes, but if it's a trade off between efficiency and price I'm sure they'll find somewhere else to pull the extra $3-5 out of.

What I think we'll see from IAV though is a system that uses the scavenging effect because it increases low end torque a bit, which is what makes a car efficient and safe for city driving. Scavenging doesn't effect the noise level, Ford's been using it for years and except for intentionally loud vehicles like the GT and the Mustang they're quiet as can be. Scavenging is cheap and reliable, making it a no brainer for Elio.

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I laugh at this, but I do run Monza exhaust on my Triumph Spitfire, however I'd never put exhaust on an Elio, utterly pointless and you'll most likely lose torque in the process while trying to gain hp, that's how my 2012 Mustang GT was. I could notice a drop in torque but it really opened up after 5 grand.
I just don't understand why anyone would put exhaust on an Elio... or any 'performance mods' for that matter. If you want a performance car, buy one.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They need loud because they have had their stereos blasting so loud that they have damaged their hearing and can no longer hear regular sounds.
They want loud to attract attention. They don't understand that it usually attracts the attention of the police instead of the girls.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If pumping losses could be significantly reduced by a larger set of pipes (which would not be any louder) then the Elio would have them.

that may or may not be the case .... having looked at pictures and diagrams (I haven't seen one in person) it appears they have all they can do in order to mount the exhaust system they are using under the vehicle .... it has been noted that the push is to get that system tucked in so that is doesn't hang down as far as it does on the models used in their nationwide tour

Top Bottom