• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust Upgrades?

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have always been fascinated by what sound an engine makes through the exhaust. Why some engines sound a whole lot better than others. A motorcycle with three cylinders known as a triple has a very unique sound and I hope the Elio has that type of sound and not a lawnmower sound. I do not plan on doing any modifications to the exhaust unless there is a way to make it sound better, not louder. Just my 2 cents.
I own BMW motorcycles. The one I'm going to type about is the R1150GS. a twin cyl air cooled motor. Many of us remove the muffler and replace it with a simple turn down tip, and it is still not very loud. Now take the Harley. Twin cly air cooled motor and do the same thing, you get a extremely loud sound.
I don't know, but I think the sound comes from the exhaust valve cam timing.
I'm guessing the Elio will be tuned more like BMW. It's a 1150 cc motor in a heavy motorcycle and gets over 50 mpg

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I own BMW motorcycles. The one I'm going to type about is the R1150GS. a twin cyl air cooled motor. Many of us remove the muffler and replace it with a simple turn down tip, and it is still not very loud. Now take the Harley. Twin cly air cooled motor and do the same thing, you get a extremely loud sound.
I don't know, but I think the sound comes from the exhaust valve cam timing.
I'm guessing the Elio will be tuned more like BMW. It's a 1150 cc motor in a heavy motorcycle and gets over 50 mpg
BMW's -I always had air heads except the 250 single,(Same engine as the Isetta?) and their beauty was listing to the valves, on the other hand, my H.D's.......

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mechanical sounds have their own beauty. I remember going to Road Atlanta for the SCCA vintage races.
Talk about engine sounds! every thing from 2 strokes, to wankles, to screaming 4 cyl, to big block v8s!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
And no one has mentioned Flame Throwers ..... :(

upload_2016-1-25_13-51-31.png

Oh if you want to do the new lowrider style

upload_2016-1-25_13-54-45.png

Top Bottom