• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Development Question Put To Em

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was born there too. I'm in Oak Ridge right now. As a matter of fact, I'm in Oak Ridge every Monday thru Friday. Argh!:mad:
Normally I would say there have probably been a lot of changes since I left in 1972. However, considering the few changes that I learned about the 2 years I was there (the town was no longer behind fences) maybe there have not been that many changes. "Downtown" Oak Ridge was what now would be called an open mall. There were some new homes in the area but most of us lived in the old government housing. I loved the fact that the residential areas of government housing had greenbelts around and within them. It made it seem less "governmental" even though the houses all looked alike for the most part. Your mother and I probably had the same doctors since there were only 3 and they had all been there for some time. She probably had one more than me because one of the 3 had stopped obstetrical work and only took gynecological patients by the time I was there. Small world. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was born in Crossville Tn not far from Oak Ridge. I love the east Tennessee mountains. I'm still not sure how I ended up I Houston. This place is too flat!
The area of Oregon I live in is beautiful like the East Tennessee mountains. That is if you ignore the clear cutting. I used to love to go up to Cades Cove camping and used to buy the best stone ground cornmeal at a mill in the park. It made the absolute best cornbread and I still buy stoneground cornmeal for cornbread to this day. We would wait until after school started in the fall to go camping because the summers were impossibly crowded - literal traffic jams. I imagine it is even worse now. :-) Z

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Normally I would say there have probably been a lot of changes since I left in 1972. However, considering the few changes that I learned about the 2 years I was there (the town was no longer behind fences) maybe there have not been that many changes. "Downtown" Oak Ridge was what now would be called an open mall. There were some new homes in the area but most of us lived in the old government housing. I loved the fact that the residential areas of government housing had greenbelts around and within them. It made it seem less "governmental" even though the houses all looked alike for the most part. Your mother and I probably had the same doctors since there were only 3 and they had all been there for some time. She probably had one more than me because one of the 3 had stopped obstetrical work and only took gynecological patients by the time I was there. Small world. :) Z
Z, everyone misses the open mall. Back in the early 90s it was torn down and replaced with a "proper mall", which now sits empty and is slated for demolition. This is progress? I too lived in one of the government houses. An "A" house. That was my bachelor pad 20 yrs. ago. LOL.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Z, everyone misses the open mall. Back in the early 90s it was torn down and replaced with a "proper mall", which now sits empty and is slated for demolition. This is progress? I too lived in one of the government houses. An "A" house. That was my bachelor pad 20 yrs. ago. LOL.
We lived in an apartment until a coveted "C" house became available. If the open mall is gone and the proper mall is going to be torn down, where will people shop? Has Knoxville spread that far? :-) Z

Reactions: DWR

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I asked EM about the current state of engine development and testing. The following links are what I received in reply.

I don't know if this info has already been posted, apologies if so. It is still interesting reading.

GO EM !!!!!!

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=ee5baadff5&e=[UNI QID]
http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=927f23e10f
The engine is now on Facebook. I started a thread on it.

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/the-elio-engine.2588/#post-37027

Since I didn't actually pose a question to Elio, I didn't think the Engine picture belonged here. I didn't want to hijack this thread.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I worked at B12 (Oak Ridge) for the Univ. of TN graduate school. I have also worked at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratories in Berkeley, CA. And I worked for the Radio Astronomy Dept. at the University of Texas in Austin. That is just 3 of the places I have lived, all in this country. LOL :) Z

Z, I actually did a summer internship working on the worlds largest single-aperture radio observatory in Arecibo, Puerto Rico.

In addition to Oak Ridge National Laboratory I have worked with Sandia, Los Alamos, and Pacific Northwest National Laboratories. I am actually working as a consultant right now supporting a bid for a new joint project with PNNL and the IAEA.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Z, I actually did a summer internship working on the worlds largest single-aperture radio observatory in Arecibo, Puerto Rico.

In addition to Oak Ridge National Laboratory I have worked with Sandia, Los Alamos, and Pacific Northwest National Laboratories. I am actually working as a consultant right now supporting a bid for a new joint project with PNNL and the IAEA.
DWR corrected me, I worked at Y-12. It has been a while. The radio astronomy observatory I worked for was out in the Marfa, Texas area and was an array rather than a dish, if that makes sense. I worked in the office in Austin until 3 days before my older son was born (he was 2 weeks early - Surprise! LOL). I actually went out to the site once while I still worked there. It was dismantled once they finished the project which had something to do with tracking Jupiter. Where is PNNL? oops, forgot to sign off! :) Z

Last edited:
Top Bottom