• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Development Question Put To Em

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Jack Nerad, executive market analyst at KBB.com, a car information site, points out that the market has never
taken to three-wheelers. “Americans don’t find them very practical or useful,” he says.
I had to face this issue very directly when I built my first 3 wheeler. At my university(WWU), in the research area(VRI), we had a visit from the President of the SAE(Society of Automotive Engineers). My single seat 'Taddy' sat about 5ft from him in a public meeting at the fab shop. He asked for questions. I asked, "Would a car like my three wheeler have a chance in the open market place?" This was 1982, just after the close of the Opec Gas Crisis. He said, "NO", period. (I was mortified, but silently rebellious)

After that, I'd looked at the issue from all angles with-in marketing and business management. When you look at the Elio from the idea of the only car you could own, it's a non starter for most people, unless you are single and some other special circumstances.

However, that being said;

Probably the greatest invention of EM is the one idea, "Driving the Elio, will save you more money than the cost of the car.". This means that owning an Elio would in effect be helping to pay for both cars, for those who are driving some minimum monthly mileage. For all other attempts at this kind of car in America, this has never been true for a Freeway ready, all weather vehicle, having excellent safety, and not requiring special skills. Period.

Motorcycles have been good at some parts of that, but they don't usually reach that MPG and all weather safety level.

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
i just hope it doesnt have the "sorry about the first yr problems" syndrome that any auto company can have
Hi and welcome from Oregon, elio now. I think that is less likely to happen because EM is very aware something like that would be a disaster for a start up company. That is exactly why they are taking the time to do this thing right the first time. Other companies have other vehicles to offer and to help cover their backs if they have problems. Elio does not have that. It absolutely must be right the first time. My reservation shows my trust in EM as I wait and enjoy this exciting journey into a new dimension of vehicle ownership. I hope you will join us and enjoy the journey as well. :-) Z

Tenn is another state I have lived in. In fact my younger son was born in Oak Ridge, TN.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Tenn is another state I have lived in. In fact my younger son was born in Oak Ridge, TN.

Z, you sure have lived a number of interesting places! I like Oak Ridge and have been there quite a number of times as I have done a good bit of work for the Department of Energy and various national laboratories including Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Z, you sure have lived a number of interesting places! I like Oak Ridge and have been there quite a number of times as I have done a good bit of work for the Department of Energy and various national laboratories including Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
I worked at B12 (Oak Ridge) for the Univ. of TN graduate school. I have also worked at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratories in Berkeley, CA. And I worked for the Radio Astronomy Dept. at the University of Texas in Austin. That is just 3 of the places I have lived, all in this country. LOL :-) Z

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Oregon, elio now. I think that is less likely to happen because EM is very aware something like that would be a disaster for a start up company. That is exactly why they are taking the time to do this thing right the first time. Other companies have other vehicles to offer and to help cover their backs if they have problems. Elio does not have that. It absolutely must be right the first time. My reservation shows my trust in EM as I wait and enjoy this exciting journey into a new dimension of vehicle ownership. I hope you will join us and enjoy the journey as well. :) Z

But can you sing Rocky Top????

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And let's not forget the Oak Ridge Boys. One of my all time favorites! lol

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Oregon, elio now. I think that is less likely to happen because EM is very aware something like that would be a disaster for a start up company. That is exactly why they are taking the time to do this thing right the first time. Other companies have other vehicles to offer and to help cover their backs if they have problems. Elio does not have that. It absolutely must be right the first time. My reservation shows my trust in EM as I wait and enjoy this exciting journey into a new dimension of vehicle ownership. I hope you will join us and enjoy the journey as well. :) Z

I was born there too. I'm in Oak Ridge right now. As a matter of fact, I'm in Oak Ridge every Monday thru Friday. Argh!:mad:

Top Bottom