• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Cost?

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But if you think back, Vega cylinder walls were free standing and fit into cast iron heads.
Over heat the engine and it warped the head. And bang! Compression is gone.
So it wasn't the silicone impregnated walls.
It was the aluminum block and cast iron head with different expansion rates.
Vega_block_cylinder_bores.jpg

I was thinking about those Aluminum Block Vega's myself, a friend had one. I am thankful ELIO will not be. Go ELIO, tried and true, Red White and Blue.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is indeed aluminum! Very common these days to have all, or mostly, aluminum engine blocks and accessories.
Well I never owned one, did have a magnesium block motorcycle, so this will be my 1st Aluminum block. The Vega's were a long time ago, so I hope the technology is much better, and I will keep a close eye on the temp gauge.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I pulled my Geo apart a couple times, put new pistons into honed cylinders and found the job to be fun and rewarding. I pulled the head off with my left hand while moving hoses and wires with my right hand. No problem.
It's always nice to be working on the light ones. I had to replace an exhaust valve in a Geo Tracker. It was almost too easy.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well I never owned one, did have a magnesium block motorcycle, so this will be my 1st Aluminum block. The Vega's were a long time ago, so I hope the technology is much better, and I will keep a close eye on the temp gauge.
I was thinking back. I had a '65 Mustang with a 350W engine that wasn't exactly stock... But, I would overheat quite often. I had a Mazda that would overheat and a Dodge Omni that I think overheated. But, I haven't seen or had a vehicle that would overheat in over 20 years now. Is overheating still a thing? I would think cars are engineered to not overheat. I really don't know.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They should be making lots of extra engines, it is part of the business plan to sell them separately overseas. Do not think it will be a problem for us to get extra ones too. I have no idea about the cost yet. I see you live in Jellystone Park, CA too. Welcome to ElioOwners.
Elio is negotiating with Linamar, a Canadian-owned manufacturer or engines, to build Elio engines in a new plant in South Central US. Part of the deal -- for which there is a memo of understanding, but not yet a contract -- is that Linamar will be able to market Elio engines all over the world, in addition to supplying Elio Motors with 250,000 + engines annually.

So getting spare engines should not be a problem. What you'll pay for one ... well, I don't know.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is negotiating with Linamar, a Canadian-owned manufacturer or engines, to build Elio engines in a new plant in South Central US. Part of the deal -- for which there is a memo of understanding, but not yet a contract -- is that Linamar will be able to market Elio engines all over the world, in addition to supplying Elio Motors with 250,000 + engines annually.

So getting spare engines should not be a problem. What you'll pay for one ... well, I don't know.

Some members have speculated about what a foreign market for the motor would be. There are thousands of small river boats in Thailand that run a yoke mounted motor on the stern with the prop running straight off the crank shaft. They run any kind of motor that they can fit into the yoke.
upload_2016-9-9_15-5-41.png
upload_2016-9-9_15-6-51.png
upload_2016-9-9_15-7-33.png

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cooling is definitely better now days with electric fans that supply cooling when you are stuck in traffic. Another thing I learned from Jerome at the Salt Lake P5 stop was that the engine carries 6 quarts of oil which also provides additional cooling and better lubrication. I think the engineers and Paul are putting together a winner. Looking forward to getting mine. Go Elio!!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Cooling is definitely better now days with electric fans that supply cooling when you are stuck in traffic. Another thing I learned from Jerome at the Salt Lake P5 stop was that the engine carries 6 quarts of oil which also provides additional cooling and better lubrication. I think the engineers and Paul are putting together a winner. Looking forward to getting mine. Go Elio!!
6 quarts? I never knew that. I wonder if they have an oil cooler; that would remove some of it from the pan.

Top Bottom