• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Owners Southeast Rally

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure what October we are referring to. I seriously doubt that we will have our Elios by the end of October of 2015. My wishful thinking would like that to happen. Until Elio is approved for the big loan they are seeking, all bets are off on any production starting in a times anyone can guess. I'd lie my Elio yesterday, but the fact is each day we wait is another day added to the unknown starting date of the production line. Elio is to smart to state that production will start on (insert the month you think production will start in 2015). While many keep throwing around months like July, and Sept of 2015, their logic as posted on various forums and blogs is speculative at best. but back to the question...... Well would i be interested in such a rally/ group get together, yes. The problem for me is i do not tolerate long trips well, so my likelihood of going more than 4 hours is doubtful.
Charles,
Per Google Maps, your ride to the Iron Horse Lodge from Cumming, Ga. to Robbinsville, NC. would only be,
117 mi, 2 hours 23 mins, US-19 N and US-129, plus 20/25 miles up to IH. That would be well within your endurance level.. Then each days ride would be much less.
What I suggest is:
Day 1) Thursday, to ride North on the 'Dragon' then East on the 'Foothills Parkway', then down to the 'River Road', coming out just South of Gatlinburg. As we want need gas, we turn South on 411 and go up over the mountians to Cherokee. Take a break/see what they have to offer. Can you imagin the sight of 10/20/or more Elios rolling into Cherokee, with a prior press release of 'The Elios Are Coming, The Elios Are Coming'??. Should be a Hoot.
At the sound of a Long 'Train/Truck Horn' we regroup and ride accross and up thru the Natihala Gorge. Then back to Iron horse for dinner and the night.

Day 2) Friday: Ride it in the reverse. As most bike riders know, the road going the other way is totally different.

Day 3) Saturday, stay off the Dragon , too congested, with LEO/idiot riders/drivers. Visit the 'Wheels Thru Time',
in Maggie Valley, then do BBQ, about 20 miles away. Back to Iron Horse for dinner and the night.

I have ridden the Dragon many time but the last time we did it this way and it was Much more enjoyable.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Charles,
Per Google Maps, your ride to the Iron Horse Lodge from Cumming, Ga. to Robbinsville, NC. would only be,
117 mi, 2 hours 23 mins, US-19 N and US-129, plus 20/25 miles up to IH. That would be well within your endurance level.. Then each days ride would be much less.
What I suggest is:
Day 1) Thursday, to ride North on the 'Dragon' then East on the 'Foothills Parkway', then down to the 'River Road', coming out just South of Gatlinburg. As we want need gas, we turn South on 411 and go up over the mountians to Cherokee. Take a break/see what they have to offer. Can you imagin the sight of 10/20/or more Elios rolling into Cherokee, with a prior press release of 'The Elios Are Coming, The Elios Are Coming'??. Should be a Hoot.
At the sound of a Long 'Train/Truck Horn' we regroup and ride accross and up thru the Natihala Gorge. Then back to Iron horse for dinner and the night.

Day 2) Friday: Ride it in the reverse. As most bike riders know, the road going the other way is totally different.

Day 3) Saturday, stay off the Dragon , too congested, with LEO/idiot riders/drivers. Visit the 'Wheels Thru Time',
in Maggie Valley, then do BBQ, about 20 miles away. Back to Iron Horse for dinner and the night.

I have ridden the Dragon many time but the last time we did it this way and it was Much more enjoyable.

I happen to live only a few miles from Charles and agree the trip is not that bad at all. I love the the dragon, have ridden motorcycles and driven cars on it numerous times, and could not agree more to stay away during the weekend when it is a mess and not any fun. This would really be a fun Elio Southeast event and I can't wait to do it! :cool:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Another event location I would like to see Elio Owners visit, maybe even for a national event, is the Barber Motorsports complex near Birmingham. There is a very nice museum with meeting space however there is also a road course. Including some track time in an event would be a lot of fun and a very unique experience for many owners. It would also be pretty cool to see a whole bunch of three wheelers running around a track together.

https://www.barbermotorsports.com/
https://www.barbermuseum.org/

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another event location I would like to see Elio Owners visit, maybe even for a national event, is the Barber Motorsports complex near Birmingham. There is a very nice museum with meeting space however there is also a road course. Including some track time in an event would be a lot of fun and a very unique experience for many owners. It would also be pretty cool to see a whole bunch of three wheelers running around a track together.

https://www.barbermotorsports.com/
https://www.barbermuseum.org/
Goof, set it up,I'm all in for some Track time at Barbers, As I'm only 100 miles out from there, when you call the ball and let us know When..I'll be there with Bells on..... That oughta be a Hoot!!

Last edited:

Charles Stanley

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Charles,
What I suggest is:

Sounds doable for me. Thanks for taking the time to post this. By the way if you are not already a member of the Ga Elio owners group on facebook, you might want to check us out at https://www.facebook.com/groups/GAElioOwners/. Regards!

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The best way for me to get to the Iron Horse lodge is via Cherohala Skyway. I'll be there if possible. A good day trip is to go the Cherohala Skyway and come back the Dragon. leave after breakfast, lunch at Deals gap, and dinner at Ponchos on 411 south of Maryville.

Critter,
I failed to mention the Cherahalia Skyway. As we come up from the South, I/we head to Tellico Plains and do a gas/beer stop there, put on a jacket and ride up and over to Robbingvile from there.
The 'Cherahalia' is, I think, one of the Most scenic rides/drives in the South, Except when it's raining or Pouring Rain/fog/lightning. I towed a cargo trailer with the Wing over the mountian in that pouring rain/lightning, full of beer and gear (not all mine, most riders are maxed out on cargo space). Being the good guy that I am, we filled the trailer Up.
As we started to climb, we passed the Harley group(Newnan) suiting up but pushed on a little further.
It got worse, so we stopped to suit up, by the time we were about ready to move on, the HOG group passed us, the Heavens Opened up, the rain came in torrants with Lightning, some wanted to wait. The safest pace to be in that situation is 'On Rubber' not standing around a bike. I told them that I was moving on, they followed.
As we climbed higher we got above cloud base, the rain/lightning got worse. Later we came up on two(out of about 20) of the HOG group, the lead and one other, Where are the others, I asked Jay?, back there I guess, they must've stopped. Dam what a mess, my little group kept going with a 'See ya'll at Iron Horse'.
As it turned out, we all made it to IH, still riding. In the Hog group one woman laid her bike down in the road, one other woman wound up ditching her bike On Both sides of the road, before she came to rest, never found out how she did that.
I've seen the 'Cherahalia' at it's best and at it's worst. On a Good Day it is Beautiful but on a Bad day it is a Challenge.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
per Google Maps its 334 miles, 5 1/2 hrs from our home south of Raleigh to Iron Horse Lodge in Robbinsville .... IF the Elio's ride proves to be reasonably comfortable, that's a doable day's ride for us .... if EM begins production in September '15, I suspect that a good number of them could be assembled in October '16

Jim

Top Bottom