• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I'm going to guess that this dash that PE must have is not an American made part seeing how the one they are showing is metric. Can't they find an American manufacturer to make a good looking functional dash.
It will be made with American made parts that will most likely be assembled in this country. Every dash in every car in the country is made from parts used as specified by the designer/engineer. :-) Z

SandyCWV

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have to admit I was sort of "star struck" seeing the Elio this weekend, which must by why when I saw the display dash I didn't think to ask about the kilometers display. I noticed it in the pictures when I got home. Either way, if the silver bezel were a little smaller and the numbers a little bigger I think it would have the same look and be more useful.

JDub

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me is the dash an American made product? Or is this a part that could not be provided nationally. And what percentage of the Elio is now projected to be American made.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have to admit I was sort of "star struck" seeing the Elio this weekend, which must by why when I saw the display dash I didn't think to ask about the kilometers display. I noticed it in the pictures when I got home. Either way, if the silver bezel were a little smaller and the numbers a little bigger I think it would have the same look and be more useful.
I love your avatar. Is your goat jealous about being replaced? :p :rolleyes: :) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like your pose in the avatar photo.........please don't do that while driving down the highway!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The numbers in the prototype are not digital. It's an actual spinning disc. This is planned to be the case in the final design as well. Information like the odometer, engine temp, speed (mph), etc.. are planned to be shown on the the lower-center red LCD screen in between the tachometer and speedometer.
Moving parts = something else to go wrong. The more parts, the wronger things can go...

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
understandable thought but the Elgin and the Skyz are mutually exclusively .... as of now, every Elio will come off the line with an Elgin dash .... EM will not offer an approved option to be added by their folks .... the Skyz will be added at whatever location is adding the approved options (example leather, power seats) .... in short, you get an Elgin dash period .... adding the Skyz components has no impact on it

Jim
Skyzmatic will conceal what's behind it, the Elgin Dash. But it won't conceal the hole in my pocket from paying for it. Arrrgh! Seriously, I may go for a Navdi

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Skyzmatic will conceal what's behind it, the Elgin Dash. But it won't conceal the hole in my pocket from paying for it. Arrrgh! Seriously, I may go for a Navdi

As I have said in some other threads I really like the idea of a HUD of some sort however we will have to see what Navdy comes up with as the way it is right now it would not work in the Elio. The Elio will not have the OBD-II data streaming capability which the Navdy currently needs in order to get the vehicle information such as speed and engine RPM.

Navdy have said they are in discussions with EM and we will have to see what results from those discussion however a simple solution would be if Navdy could use the GPS in your phone to determine speed so at least the feature people use the most would be available in the Elio.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
For those who have not heard. In conversations with Elio VP Jerome Vassallo in Birmingham and Charlotte I was able to confirm that directly that the Elio vehicle will have a standard OBD-II connector and will be OBD-II compliant for diagnostic fault code scan tools and such. However, the Elio will NOT support the data streaming portion of the OBD-II standard so there will be no streaming sensor data which you need to run virtual gauges when using applications, such as Torque, which provide such functionality.

For those who may wonder as far as I can find the data streaming portion of OBD-II standard is not required by Federal law on any vehicle as the federal government apparently only really cares about using OBD-II for vehicle identification, safety, and emissions control purposes.

So even if the Elio vehicle were a car and not a motorcycle they likely still would not have to provide this data and could save money by using the inexpensive ECU/PCM which does not support hosting this data. Once again the very smart people working with Paul Elio have managed to find a way to save money while at the same time meeting the higher car standard instead of just the motorcycle standard.

Top Bottom