• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Delay To 2017 And Beyond

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll concede 4 flat on the floor. 5 is close, and might go with actual dimensions that we don't have.

My Elio "fleet", 6' wide the 1st 3 feet, then tapering from 4' down to 3' at the back.

e6ef9bafef93757d277bad424d601f71.jpg

Wow, the base model really looks like crap.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to see how you'd load 6 Elios on a standard, enclosed semi bed. The maximum inside width of a standard "wedge" trailer is 99 inches. The inside height is 110 inches at the read and 109 at the front. Length varies from 45 to 53 feet. The width of the doors is 93 inches.

Each Elio is a trapezoidal solid with the following dimensions: Overall Length: 160.5″
Overall Height: 54.2″

Front Wheel Track: 66.8″ (let's assume that's the widest part, ignoring the wheel covers which make the width actually a couple of inches wider)
(center rim to center rim)

I don't know the body width at the rear but it can't be less than 30 inches.

So: how many Elios can dance on the floor of a truck? You can't stack them, they're too tall. Taking the largest trailer, 53 feet, you have room for three Elios -- actually 3.975, but sorry, you can't squeeze that extra little bit in unless you were tail-to-tail as you suggest. But even so, my guess is that the max load on the longest trailer is only 4 Elios. To really answer this, you'd need to know how quickly the rear quarter of the car tapers down to minimum width, because that gives you the amount of overlap you could have. Maybe you or one of our good gear head guys could really work this out accurately, but I'm willing to bet 5 would be the absolute upper limit, and that's pretty unlikely. 4 is the probable upper limit.

Don't forget, you have to have working room to secure the vehicle in the trailer and then get in the thing to unload them. If they're overlapped, that might be hard to manage.
Just load them 'Vega' style!

vert-a-pac-car-transportation-1.jpg

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll concede 4 flat on the floor. 5 is close, and might go with actual dimensions that we don't have.

My Elio "fleet", 6' wide the 1st 3 feet, then tapering from 4' down to 3' at the back.

e6ef9bafef93757d277bad424d601f71.jpg

1st 3 loaded - 8x53 " trailer"

86a577e8aed3dcacca38d17593edbfc7.jpg

A little game of hopscotch, and my estimates are off:

571b31e89328a709d7997a9eeae5e0b2.jpg

With palletizing 2 side by side without front wheels, 6 would work easy. Wheels removed MIGHT make 2 high stacks possible.

Give a trucker a per unit price to haul, and he'll quickly figure out how to get max revenue on the back.

Entertaining to think about at this point, and maybe enough to buy a "hot shot" rig and make some Elio $ if the market is there when production starts. I liked driving, just hated a lot of the other stuff (shippers, dispatchers, etc.)
I appreciate the thought you're giving this -- one glitch, the Elio has one fairly wide door. How can you stack vehicles like this and then get in to drive or haul them off the rig?

My guess is that dollies and a conventional car carrier will be doing the job.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate the thought you're giving this -- one glitch, the Elio has one fairly wide door. How can you stack vehicles like this and then get in to drive or haul them off the rig?

My guess is that dollies and a conventional car carrier will be doing the job.
At 1200#, one of these that fit a notch in the back of the frame would maneuver Elios on and off a trailer pretty easy. They're made to move boat trailers etc around the yard without a vehicle.

7b091abb8ede499cf8a8020fcfdf7ceb.jpg

Reactions: Ekh

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
At 1200#, one of these that fit a notch in the back of the frame would maneuver Elios on and off a trailer pretty easy. They're made to move boat trailers etc around the yard without a vehicle.
Since they have a lot of them to move the muscle man version would be out and they go with something more like this Parkit360

Reactions: Ekh

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't find that post - can you link it here?
What I had said was that I had been told by the people at EM they have already signed on a company that will be in charge of the marshaling centers and transportation; they are a well established large national company that has asked not to be identified until everything is going operational (in other words they don't want people putting in applications for jobs until it's ready to go live).

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello. I'm in good ol' California. Wonderful state, if we're not talking politics. As far as the Elio goes though, there is every type of tarrane you can imagine. My first goal is probably to hit the coast and drive the length of it all the way from SD up to Oregon. Seems like the perfect trip for the Elio.
Agree that California is a beautiful state and wonderful place to drive your Elio. Born, raised, and lived there for 57 years. Unfortunately, politics and taxes drove me out.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I had said was that I had been told by the people at EM they have already signed on a company that will be in charge of the marshaling centers and transportation; they are a well established large national company that has asked not to be identified until everything is going operational (in other words they don't want people putting in applications for jobs until it's ready to go live).
That only makes sense. There is no urgent need to know who delivers our Elios. We know if EM builds them they will be delivered. The PepBoys announcement was a need to know servicing partner. The servicing and warranty questions needed to be answered directly to help stimulate reservations.

Top Bottom