• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone Else Think It Wont Happen?

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. My 1990 Geo metro has separate headlight and wiper switched on the dash and the turn signal is that plus dimmer. I drive a lot at night on winding roads which requires me to keep one hand on the turn signal at all times since I have to turn off the high beams at a moment's notice. I long for the days of the floor dimmer switch!

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Everytime I get into my wife's Oddessy, I get lost. Way too many levers and buttons. We've had it for four years and I still can't figure out the radio/DVD/front/back infotainment system. Delay wipers? Twist forward? Back? Rear wipers? How do they turn off? Front defog?
What a PAIN!
Agreed. I've had my Hyundai Azara for nine years, and occasionally find some rediculious option I never knew I had. Always hated that stupid sunscreen that went up and down in the back window every time the vehicle was shifted into reverse. I really like the Elio concept of only paying for options you want.

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I submitted this idea to EM for consideration.

VW has moved their headlight switch from the column to the dash. I have three old American cars from the 1960s’s that have the headlight switch on the dash, the wiper switch on the dash, and the dimmer switch on the floor (left side). I have noticed this is more convenient for me than having them on the column where I have to look closely at the lever, decide which part to grasp, which direction the move it, and try not to disturb anything else crammed (and I do mean crammed) on the lever. I like it better with discrete switches spread out over a larger area making their usage easier and more user friendly.

Perhaps Elio should consider doing this. I do not know if there are automobile requirements to have these controls on the column, but Elio is a motorcycle and can do it any way it pleases. This way if one switch breaks, that is all that must be purchased and replaced, not an entire assembly that replaces everything. I have replaced these and they can be very expensive. I am sure the individual switches are much less expensive. This would also be a way of Elio getting closer to the $6,800 price they are shooting for. It would also be more convenient for the owner.

I like the idea and have the same problem when driving a different car, but I think this would actually be more expensive. I cant think of any current models in this configuration, so Elio would have to pay to redesign the steering and manufacture the steering column and wheel versus buying off the shelf from a current manufacturer. I personally would love to go back to the dimmer switch and starter on the floor and seperate switches as they are easier to replace and torubleshoot, simpler is better in my world.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Though I don't agree with everything he said, I could certainly understand why someone would take this stance...a person needs A LOT of patience waiting for this movement to get off the ground...
Ok, if the worst happens we will have come out ahead in the personal development arena! More patience is not a bad thing to have or develop! Think of this period as a personal improvement seminar we've invested in, along with an excellent car we may end up being more excellent people.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I submitted this idea to EM for consideration.

VW has moved their headlight switch from the column to the dash. I have three old American cars from the 1960s’s that have the headlight switch on the dash, the wiper switch on the dash, and the dimmer switch on the floor (left side). I have noticed this is more convenient for me than having them on the column where I have to look closely at the lever, decide which part to grasp, which direction the move it, and try not to disturb anything else crammed (and I do mean crammed) on the lever. I like it better with discrete switches spread out over a larger area making their usage easier and more user friendly.

Perhaps Elio should consider doing this. I do not know if there are automobile requirements to have these controls on the column, but Elio is a motorcycle and can do it any way it pleases. This way if one switch breaks, that is all that must be purchased and replaced, not an entire assembly that replaces everything. I have replaced these and they can be very expensive. I am sure the individual switches are much less expensive. This would also be a way of Elio getting closer to the $6,800 price they are shooting for. It would also be more convenient for the owner.
And then there was my grandfather's car where the switch for the windshield wiper was by the clutch pedal, there was no automatic wiper, and so on rainy days it was as if he was working a manual sewing machine.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone else get the email notifications email yesterday (twice) from EM? LOL! Personally, I got sick and tired of the non-stop emails, and unsubscribed about a week ago. Looks like a bunch of people did the same thing, so Elio responded with yesterday's email.

Personally, I don't want to hear anything else from them except "Hey, Digital Dan, We're about to build your Elio! What color and options do you want?"

Everything else is pretty much just more hype and BS. I'm already sold on the concept, just build the damn things, already.
Yup, I've been getting them in duplicate and sometimes triplicate for the past year, the new email system that they are moving to is supposed to fix that.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. I've had my Hyundai Azara for nine years, and occasionally find some rediculious option I never knew I had. Always hated that stupid sunscreen that went up and down in the back window every time the vehicle was shifted into reverse. I really like the Elio concept of only paying for options you want.
Last month I went shopping for alternatives to the Elio and every single hatchback had a rear windshield wiper. I happened to test drive it on a rainy day, there was absolutely no need for that wiper for rear vision.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
windshield-wiper.jpg

Top Bottom