• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

An Observation

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh... I just remembered an important point.

Pep Boys has been pretty mum about Elio. Why? Well, the outgoing CEO of Pep Boys didn't want to stir the pot and affect their stock any more than it already was. (It apparently wasn't doing wonderfully) He was also taking kind of a wait-and-see stance as Elio is kind of an unknown and they didn't want to tie their fate to Elio. Anyway, now that the new CEO is on board, we should be hearing more about Elio from Pep Boys and perhaps there will be a better tie-in.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any word on how the dry paint worked? Anyway, thanks for asking. Now I have a Google target for the "dry paint process". Hate to hear that it sounds like a showing in the projects, (but lets face it. Even driving through East TN projects, you see more BMW's, and Mercedes than you do in working class neiborhoods). Glad you got to see it! I hope they realize at least one person there was serious about thier project. Honestly, thinking about where the Pep Boys are here, there is only one I would approve of an Elio showing. Members, maybe we should rethink this Pep Boys angle? Showing it to the "pants on the ground" folks may not be the best stradgey (yeah, I know I spelled stradgey wrong).:oops:
To be fair, we have 3 Pep Boys locally and they went to the one with the largest parking lot. I didn't feel unsafe there but I wouldn't hang around there either.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh... I just remembered an important point.

Pep Boys has been pretty mum about Elio. Why? Well, the outgoing CEO of Pep Boys didn't want to stir the pot and affect their stock any more than it already was. (It apparently wasn't doing wonderfully) He was also taking kind of a wait-and-see stance as Elio is kind of an unknown and they didn't want to tie their fate to Elio. Anyway, now that the new CEO is on board, we should be hearing more about Elio from Pep Boys and perhaps there will be a better tie-in.
It was and still is more important that Elio Reservationists are aware of the Servicing Partner than it was/is for PepBoys to promote a concept vehicle until it is guaranteed to be built. A good sign that EM is getting closer to production if they start routine stops at PepBoys across the country or better yet showcasing a few E Builds.

Reactions: DWR

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was and still is more important that Elio Reservationists are aware of the Servicing Partner than it was/is for PepBoys to promote a concept vehicle until it is guaranteed to be built. A good sign that EM is getting closer to production if they start routine stops at PepBoys across the country or better yet showcasing a few E Builds.
I was wondering why they didn't already do this. Perhaps the traffic wouldn't be as good as it is at the mall. Lets face it, Pep Boys aren't exactly busy places and the only ones who knew about the visit were already Elio fans. Even then, I only found out AFTER the event started... and I'm IN Albuquerque. people a couple of towns over didn't really get a chance to check it out and being at a Pep Boys doesn't increase new customers very much.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
This stop was the first at a Pep Boys, Pam Vassallo said.

I did ask some questions.

1. The capitol question and oxygen freezing temp got blank stares, a look of "why the hell are you asking that?", and an awkward silence.
2. The paint system is PPG. The color code for Red Hot will be made available as it is a final color. The others may be tweaked.
3. The trunk will lock but whether that is a lock or pull release from inside wasn't known by the road crew.
4. Hood pins will be different and the hood will lock.
5. While at the Insurance thing a while back, they had the Elio do the cone weave and did it at 65 easy. The driver of the Polaris Slingshot turned off the stability control of the Slingshot and went through at 50 mph... well, part of it. He leaned one way, then the other, then it flipped over on its top and slid on its top in front of the Insurance companies. The guy from the road crew said he and Jerome looked under there because the guy driving got his head dragged along the ground. (He was wearing a helmet)
6. The P5 frame is done... that isn't news but the fact that the rest of the 25 are all under construction was news to me.
7. There are a lot of sagging pants, hookers, and heroin addicts on Central in Albuquerque.... literally, a pile of needles at the Pep Boys corner.
8. If you pull into O'Rielly's Auto parts, you'll have just enough time to say "Where in the hell is Elio. I thought they'd still be here." Before realizing you are half a block from Pep Boys. Don't ask how I know that. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the report Ty, appreciate it!

Can you explain more on #5, about the Elio doing the cone weave at 65 easy. The P4 got the governor turned off, and someone actually drove it and did a cone weave at 65 mph? Any idea why the Polaris folks were fine with the Slingshot turning off the stability control and then doing the cone weave? Surely they thought it was going to roll. Maybe there were no politically bad effects if they figured it would roll...

I don't know that I've seen us ask this question yet: can the stability control be turned off by a driver of the Elio?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the report Ty, appreciate it!

Can you explain more on #5, about the Elio doing the cone weave at 65 easy. The P4 got the governor turned off, and someone actually drove it and did a cone weave at 65 mph? Any idea why the Polaris folks were fine with the Slingshot turning off the stability control and then doing the cone weave? Surely they thought it was going to roll. Maybe there were no politically bad effects if they figured it would roll...

I don't know that I've seen us ask this question yet: can the stability control be turned off by a driver of the Elio?
I can't tell more about the story without getting into conjecture and I don't want to do that. The story was told to me by one of the Elio Tour Team members. I can't remember his name right off hand. He was the younger of the guys there though. He said that the wire mesh simulation that we've seen of the Elio weaving was representing the Elio doing the cone weave at 65 MPH which is over the mandatory 50 MPH testing. They want the Elio to exceed the testing requirements.

Dang, I wish I could remember his name. His brother is one of the three people working over at the call center. If someone said his name, I'd recognize it. It wasn't common.

Top Bottom