• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Message To The Elio Team

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How many people have put down their hard earned cash to purchase this vehicle?, 12,000. How many of those have seen standard analog dashboards in every version?, 12,000. How many have seen three wheels and a tandem seating design?, 12,000.

Now - How many do you think would be really mad if Elio changed the vehicle design to a one wheeled unicycle, with a single seat, no a/c and a plywood interior, but still achieved 84mpg, costs $6800, has a 5 star...blah blah blah? My guess is 12,000.

12,000 people bought into the "whole" concept , not just the specific mpg/cost criteria. Every "design" change to what they have been shown in the prototypes will make many frustrated and angry. And don't say..."well it had gauges before...", it also has a seat and if they changed that to a hard plastic bucket seat from a dune buggy because it was "cheaper and lighter", ask yourself just how many would be really PO'd? I'd say about 12,000.

The bad news for everyone is that Elio's only goal is to meet that fixed mpg/cost/5-star criteria. So if they want to make changes, they can. Heck, even that criteria is not fixed in place since no one has actually bought anything but t-shirts and bumper stickers so they have no legal obligation to meet.

I won't judge anyone for their design opinions because personally, I think the dash design is
I can see one potential problem if the display readout is red and that is for someone red colorblind they would not be able to read it. I do not have that problem but have known people who did. I have problems with dark backgrounds and light readout but if it is digital this says it is lit and therefore that should not be a problem. As I have said in other forums, this is definitely a wait and see before judging issue for me. Z

tom k

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
HEY! DAVEY I'M GOING BUY ALL ( AND I MEAN ALL THE POSTS I HAVE READ 98% DO NOT LIKE THIS GAUGE CLUSTER) I DO NOT PLAN TO BUILD OR DESIGN MY OWN CAR AS YOU SAY! BUT THE LAST 20 OR SO YEARS NOW, THE BIG THREE CAR MANUF HAVE HAD THE ATTITUDE THAT BUY WHAT WE MAKE OR DON'T, OFF THE LOT SALES ACCOUNT FOR ALL OR MOST PURCHASES TODAY

Last edited by a moderator:

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't really like the cluster but I can live with it if they choose to select it as the standard gauge set. Its not a deal breaker by any means.

Maybe someone should create a poll on here to see which they like best. I am sure its not 100% set in stone either.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just posted a message on the Elio web site, I'd be interested in seeing if I receive a reply.....
This was the message:
""A message to the E Team and Mr. Elio....Do you all read these posts and the posts at other web sites ??. I think NOT....because if you all did you would find that the so-called Elgin dash board is NOT well liked. If anything it is a safety factor and I'm sure once the car/motorcycle mag's review the vehicle you all will be put down for creating a beautiful machine and then screwing it up with a gosh awful dashboard. If the vehicle must have this Elgin dash then make it an option for the very few that MAY want it and leave the set-up that the P4 has. I'm sure those who have made a reservation ( all-in ) should have have a say in this matter and their opinion should be considered, after all they are the ones who are pushing this vehicle not the E team
A disgrunted ( all-in 1K supporter ) ""
Practically every dimension of this post is flawed. First he asks a question as to whether someone reads it. Then he answers the question believing they do not. Then why write it?
Then he informs the readers(which aren't his intended readers?) that he knows that the instrument panel is unsafe. And then he proclaims he knows that reviewers of the car mags will declare it a gosh awful dash. Then he declares," those that have made a reservation should have a say in the matter." Well break out your contract and show me the clause. And he declares those who have made a reservation are the ones pushing this vehicle not the E team.
There is not a sentence of substantiated truth in the entire post. And he hasn't even seen the dash that he is so upset about.
I am so glad I don't have to deal with this.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I love it when everyone loses it over a design change
The-Simpsons-Movie-957copia.jpg

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't really like the cluster but I can live with it if they choose to select it as the standard gauge set. Its not a deal breaker by any means.

Maybe someone should create a poll on here to see which they like best. I am sure its not 100% set in stone either.
OK. I will.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it also has a seat and if they changed that to a hard plastic bucket seat from a dune buggy because it was "cheaper and lighter", ask yourself just how many would be really PO'd? I'd say about 12,000.

I have no intention of ever finding myself in my Elio for more than 20 minutes at a time. Add to that the ease of cleaning for a hard plastic dune buggy seat and I'd vote for it if it meant a $50 cost reduction.

Autoxdriver

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
All any of us have seen is just a pic out of context. We don't know what it will really look like in the vehicle. From a functional standpoint it is more efficient than a standard gauge, of which you are only interested in a small portion of at any one time. It also preserves the relative motion aspect of a standard guage. I understand that you lose a positional reference, so you lose that to gain a lot of space back, but it's way better than just a digital readout.

Functionally I really don't think it matters a whole lot. Maybe in a drag car where you have to to time shifts by gauging when the needle is going to hit the red out of the corner of your eye, but not on a car like the Elio.

The big issue here as I see it is simple familiarity, and I hope the marketing team has given this due consideration. Their job is to attract as many people as possible to what is already a radical design. A lot of people will be on the fence about whether or not they could see themselves in a 3 wheeled car. Do they really want to make it more of a departure from the normal, comfortable things people are used to? Personally I will be happy either way.

Top Bottom