• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Message To The Elio Team

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do they still make the Toronado? No? I wonder if it was because of that speedometer? LOL

Well since Oldsmobile is a dead marque, no. Toronado made it to 1992. At that time it had a digital display. Other GM models like the Buick Reatta had touch screens to change the gauge display, radio, A/C and heat. Just like new cars today.
It was ahead of its time. Crap, but ahead of its time.

tom k

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
DON'T KNOW HOW YOU VIEW THIS MESSAGE AS HARSH! NOBODY LIKES THIS STUPID DASH. AND HE WAS STATING THAT. NO WHERE DID I GET THE IMPRESSION THAT HE THOUGHT HE WAS GOD! VECHICLES MANUFACTURES SHOULD LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO BUY THEIR CARS, INSTEAD OF FORCING THINGS ON US WE DON'T WANT! WELL SAID GREYFOX.

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
DON'T KNOW HOW YOU VIEW THIS MESSAGE AS HARSH! NOBODY LIKES THIS STUPID DASH. AND HE WAS STATING THAT. NO WHERE DID I GET THE IMPRESSION THAT HE THOUGHT HE WAS GOD! VECHICLES MANUFACTURES SHOULD LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO BUY THEIR CARS, INSTEAD OF FORCING THINGS ON US WE DON'T WANT! WELL SAID GREYFOX.
Well, count me as nobody then, thank you very much.

tom k

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Neal..... I agree it was a harsh message, but sometimes you need to be, when attempting to get a very important message through... Sure I could have flowered it up, but then it may have been filed in the rotating file cabinet not on the "Oh **** we have a problem" list.......
grayfox,
you have seen small snippets of the dash on your pc, and decided that there is a safety issue. Noone with a real grasp on reality would make such a judgement with as little actual information as you have.
Here is how I read your message:
Dear Elio dumbasses,
I do not like the Elgin Dash, I am old and set in my ways, and at my age I have the old man mind-set that whatever I feel is actually how the world is, AND THE WORLD SHOULD LISTEN TO ME BY GOD.
And even though I have not even seen the Elgin Dash I am such a Mastermind that I am sure that I know more about it than your Design team ever will, or does. And I am telling you to listen to me, an old man driving a scooter somewhere in FL. I know, You Don't.
Listen to me, people will die if you put the instrument dash that I have never seen in the Elio. But I am cool if you want to offer it as an option...some people can die, I don't mind that at all...just not me. I want an old man's dash like on my scooter(like a scooter is safe in Fl).
lafrisbee! you are a terrible interpreter, I did not read any of that in his message.

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OOH, A feisty one! :p

Let me just follow up with the fact that many are getting their undies in a bunch for no reason. Elio clearly stated that this was under consideration for inclusion to the base model. It did not say anything like "This is the new cluster. Like it or lump it!". As I read it, it very much seemed like it would be a for pay or no-cost option.
So lets all just settle down.

Man... if this is the way people are going to react to P5 and P6 I might just have to log-off for a while!

Last edited:

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How many people have put down their hard earned cash to purchase this vehicle?, 12,000. How many of those have seen standard analog dashboards in every version?, 12,000. How many have seen three wheels and a tandem seating design?, 12,000.

Now - How many do you think would be really mad if Elio changed the vehicle design to a one wheeled unicycle, with a single seat, no a/c and a plywood interior, but still achieved 84mpg, costs $6800, has a 5 star...blah blah blah? My guess is 12,000.

12,000 people bought into the "whole" concept , not just the specific mpg/cost criteria. Every "design" change to what they have been shown in the prototypes will make many frustrated and angry. And don't say..."well it had gauges before...", it also has a seat and if they changed that to a hard plastic bucket seat from a dune buggy because it was "cheaper and lighter", ask yourself just how many would be really PO'd? I'd say about 12,000.

The bad news for everyone is that Elio's only goal is to meet that fixed mpg/cost/5-star criteria. So if they want to make changes, they can. Heck, even that criteria is not fixed in place since no one has actually bought anything but t-shirts and bumper stickers so they have no legal obligation to meet.

I won't judge anyone for their design opinions because personally, I think the dash design is

tom k

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Tom. While I think your to late to design and build your own car it does appear that you have written your own lottery ticket. Since your so certain Everyone hates their dash display design, Make Your Own aftermarket! If you start now you could have 60k units done by Elio sale. 60K units at say $125 each that's 9 million dollars for your effort and confidence! Please subtract 1 from you production order as I am fine with what they offer. Heck, if the car at this price didn't come with a speedo I'd still be a buyer. There's an APP for that! Good luck to you!

Dave #61 in Orange with Any speedo option!
HEY! DAVEY I'M GOING BUY ALL ( AND I MEAN ALL THE POSTS I HAVE READ 98% DO NOT LIKE THIS GAUGE CLUSTER) I DO NOT PLAN TO BUILD OR DESIGN MY OWN CAR AS YOU SAY! BUT THE LAST 20 OR SO YEARS NOW, THE BIG THREE CAR MANUF HAVE HAD THE ATTITUDE THAT BUY WHAT WE MAKE OR DON'T, OFF THE LOT SALES ACCOUNT FOR ALL OR MOST PURCHASES TODAY

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom