• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

250,000 Units Per Year ?

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Did they actually say 250k units to be viable? I recall them saying that the factory was capable of ramping up to that level and that was the goal (with international sales), but I don't recall it being said that was any sort of a requirement to keep the doors open. If it is... Yeah, I'm not seeing it. At least, not in the first year or two.

Same here. As far as I know, 250K/year is definitely not a requirement, just the estimated capacity.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Did they actually say 250k units to be viable? I recall them saying that the factory was capable of ramping up to that level and that was the goal (with international sales), but I don't recall it being said that was any sort of a requirement to keep the doors open. If it is... Yeah, I'm not seeing it. At least, not in the first year or two.

It is not a requirement and it is my understanding that they don't even really expect to get to that number until at least year three however the plant should be capable of reaching that number and even more as EM's plans do not include any weekend shifts. The latest news on production, which we were told by Jerome in Charlotte, is that production should start at about 150 vehicles a day and ramp up to about 350 per day in the first 2-3 months or so with just a single shift. Ultimately the goal is to produce 500 vehicles per shift and run two shifts per day five days a week. This is about 250 working days when you calculate in holidays and is how they reach 250,000 Elio's per year.

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe that most American drivers seem to need instant gratification and are unwilling to wait for a reservation.
Possibly they are afraid Elio is a scam, Once these babies start showing up on the streets and you can go sit in one
or even test drive one, it can be seen and felt and know it is real. I think then demand will soar,
not only in the US but also in Europe or Asia where small cars are the norm not the exception.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My thoughts for today...Mr Elio's goal of 250,000 annual units to make his project financially viable appears to an extremely optimistic sales goal at the least...for reference...Mazda only sold a total of 283,947 total units in the US in 2013...

Wow...250,000 unit is a huge number by any automotive standards...especially for a new manufacturer trying to introduce a untested product segment...

Ford sold 3/4 of a million of one model, the F150, in 2013. Edit: US only - add 125k in Canada. They've been averaging around that for at least the 15 years the Wiki page I looked up goes back.

Mazda, heck any foreign make, doesn't exist in any numbers up here. There are dealers in "The Cities" (Mpls/St Paul), but none out here in the country. GM, Ford, and Chrysler garages are still in many small towns, though not as many as there used to be. Elio may suffer for this same reason in rural areas, unless they expand their plans for stores beyond the major market plan they currently have. If we truly get to the order at the store, delivery on demand model, EM should have a store in every town big enough to support WalMart/Mickey Ds, etc. Heck, a kiosk in every (insert your favorite box store) would do it, and probably 20 of em would cost less than one "full service" shop/showroom/sales lot dealer does to own/operate.

Once the Elio is on the road we will see order's increase....just check out all the comments on the face book page of "I want one but will not order one till they are on the road".

That's my boat, Truett. I can't help it, I like to see, feel, and use something I'm going to invest any serious money in. Nothing against all you guys and gals, heck I appreciate all of your faith, as it's probably increasing the likelyhood of production. Without reservations to help show the demand for Elio, the whole project might be nothing more than a P3 gathering dust under a tarp in the corner of Paul's garage by now.

And yes, I'll be jealous as heck when you all are out trikin around and I'm still wallowing my way to work in the BBB (Big Brown Buick).

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think you'll have to ditch any sales based on "cool." Let's face it, most folks think the Elio is butt fugly. Those who don't.... Well, most of them have already laid their money down. The big picture is going to based on pure economics.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think you'll have to ditch any sales based on "cool." Let's face it, most folks think the Elio is butt fugly. Those who don't.... Well, most of them have already laid their money down. The big picture is going to based on pure economics.

don't know that I agree .... I've heard bunches of comments from folks whose needs are such that they aren't potential buyers and have yet to hear the word ugly ..... but with beauty being in the eye of the beholder, that could certainly be the case with some

Jim

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Yeah I haven't seen much hating on the P4s appearance. Personally, while I wouldn't say it's gorgeous or perfect, I think it looks great. Quirky, sleek, and fun. I can definitely think of many other cars I find ugly but sell very well.

Edit to add: I like the evolution from P2-P4 and current design of the P4 I think looks the best. I hope the final model will be similar. I would say that if the Elio's current design were more like the P2-P3, I would actually strongly hesitate to buy it. Maybe that's a bit harsh and vain, but appearance matters a bit when I'm looking to buy something.

Top Bottom