• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

250,000 Units Per Year ?

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If some company manages to make a similar model cheaper than the Elio, you'd really have to ponder about its quality & durability.

True, but at $7K, if it lasts 5 years, then you need to buy another one, it's the same as buying a $30K car and it lasting 20 years. I'm not saying that these are or should be disposable cars, but for the money, how long do we really expect / need them to last? I don't see getting 200,000 miles and 20 years of service out of mine. Maybe it will, but I'm not counting on it/

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, but at $7K, if it lasts 5 years, then you need to buy another one, it's the same as buying a $30K car and it lasting 20 years. I'm not saying that these are or should be disposable cars, but for the money, how long do we really expect / need them to last? I don't see getting 200,000 miles and 20 years of service out of mine. Maybe it will, but I'm not counting on it/
Comp, I understand your concern, but remember this is being made mostly with off the shelf parts, which I'm assuming have proven themselves already, except frame, engine and a few other original designs. Composit body means no rust, which if you live in an area where they dump tons of salt on the road in winter, makes a big difference. Only time will tell, if they hold up but I'm betting they will last at least as long, as the average low priced vehicle today.

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If some company manages to make a similar model cheaper than the Elio, you'd really have to ponder about its quality & durability.

Labor, plain and simple. Average wage of a Chinese factory worker in 2014 is $1.36 per hour. I would argue "quality" 20 years ago but YOU even have something in your current vehicle that was made in China, no matter what it is unless you made it yourself. Hyundai (S. Korea) produces one of the highest quality vehicles today and is backed with their legendary 10-Yr / 100k mile warrenty that no US manufacturer would dream of giving. Ford, GM and Chrysler all almost collapsed in the 70'ies and 80'ies due to poor quality and if you look at trustworthy sources like Consumer Reports, they still fall behind in quality. Just the names Honda and Toyota make most people think "quality" just by their name and reputation. When they make them (and they will), $5k may be a little low but people will choose based on the same way they choose a regular car. Quality, MPG, insurance, any other number of things that make us buy what we do. I have 2 Toyotas and a Ford F-150 (the most american made vehicle there is at 75%) and I'm impressed with the quality improvements Ford has made.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Each line can produce 500/day. Capacity for two production lines. 1,000/day x 250 working days/year = capable of producing 250,000 per year. Now if there isn't enough demand, they likely wouldn't be running both lines at 100% output and obviously wouldn't be at 100% for the first year, gradually ramping up production as the workers get more experienced with their roles.
I like your logo image C0yote. I don't remember what that is. Can you tell us?

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Labor, plain and simple. Average wage of a Chinese factory worker in 2014 is $1.36 per hour. I would argue "quality" 20 years ago but YOU even have something in your current vehicle that was made in China, no matter what it is unless you made it yourself. Hyundai (S. Korea) produces one of the highest quality vehicles today and is backed with their legendary 10-Yr / 100k mile warrenty that no US manufacturer would dream of giving. Ford, GM and Chrysler all almost collapsed in the 70'ies and 80'ies due to poor quality and if you look at trustworthy sources like Consumer Reports, they still fall behind in quality. Just the names Honda and Toyota make most people think "quality" just by their name and reputation. When they make them (and they will), $5k may be a little low but people will choose based on the same way they choose a regular car. Quality, MPG, insurance, any other number of things that make us buy what we do. I have 2 Toyotas and a Ford F-150 (the most american made vehicle there is at 75%) and I'm impressed with the quality improvements Ford has made.
I too own, Japan & American, Nissan & Chevy. Part of Paul Elio's vision is to put America back to work. If my choice today were between American or foreign made 3 wheel auto cycle, I'd pick made in America!:D

Top Bottom