• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Car You Have Owned Was, Is, The Most Fun To Drive?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had to think long and hard to decide which car was the most fun to drive, and not surprisingly it was the first car I owned.
For those of you who understand, I will say it was an early '57 Longbridge Healey.
For those of you who don't, It was a 1957 Austin Healey 100-6 model BN4. (4 speed e/w electric OD in 3rd and 4th, wires with knock offs, hard top, soft top, and tonneau cover.)
I bought it used in 1961 shortly before I got my drivers license so my father had to drive it home from the dealer. It was a rainy, miserable night and it really needed new wiper blades. (Not a good first impression for my father to get.) When we got home I asked him what he thought and he told me his honest thoughts. "It rides like an un-sprung lumber wagon!"
Needless to say, I loved it and it was my baby despite having to replace the wire wheels and de-carbon the heads and hand lap the valves every 6 months. Nor to mention the side curtains and the soft top that required a trained term of circus roustabouts to properly take down.
I had to get rid of it after two years since I needed a really reliable car to commute and car pool back and forth to work after I got a good job.
I'm told that a car like that would cost me at least $60K today, if I could find one since they are somewhat rare.

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great looking car.
healy bn4.jpg

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What British car made was good for primary transportation?View attachment 4673
From what little I know about British cars that are cool, they aren't necessarily made to be primary transportation, they are made to be good looking, they are made for that "feeling", they are made to lay up beside the guy with the family car and make him want to trade you his car, family and wife for it. As I understand it, that's what British cars like yours are really made for.

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is not a car that I owned.
This was like WilliamH's car.
I do not need anymore trouble in my life, so you will not see me with one of these unless I need a coffee table.

Last edited:

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only 3 types of people own British cars for transportation.
1. you are British.
2. you have more money than sense.
3. you are poor and brain dead! LOL

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is not a car that I owned.
This was WilliamH's car.
I do not need anymore trouble in my life, so you will not see me with one of these unless I need a coffee table.
Like I said, not primary transportation! Would the problems be mostly in the electrical system? Or some mechanical just to keep things lively?

Top Bottom