• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Car You Have Owned Was, Is, The Most Fun To Drive?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know what your typing about!;)
I had a BMW K1200RS. I just got it and had not ridden a sport bike before. So I dessided to take it to the local twisty roads:). I was going to take it easy just feeling it out and get comfortable on it. I put it in third gear and head up the mountain just cursing. I take the first curve and accerlate out, second curve, same thing,, after the fourth curve I thought to myself, wonder how fast I'm goin?. I look at the speedo,,, 100 mph turnin 9 grand:eek: I swear I didn't know. That bike was so smooth and quiet I had no sensation of speed. Every time I rode it I was always catching myself speeding. I knew I was going to get in trouble, either a ticket or a ride in a helicopter.
I didn't keep it very long, but I sure did like that bike.
I ride my bikes much faster than I drive my cars, but there is a reason for this. Your typical motorcycle is much closer to a racing motorcycle than your typical car is to a racing car. We all ride and drive by "feel."

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I ride my bikes much faster than I drive my cars, but there is a reason for this. Your typical motorcycle is much closer to a racing motorcycle than your typical car is to a racing car. We all ride and drive by "feel."

OK, that is the craziest thing I have read today.........race cars have 6 point harnesses now. (3 point for casual racers)
I am not trying to flame you, but your premise that you are safer because a motorcycle is closer to a race bike is just past crazy.
I have driven fast cars and bikes and the "pucker" factor on bikes is at least 10 fold. There is such a lower margin of error and the consequences are dramatically different. In all of Nascar Racing since 1980 34 lives have been lost in all races combined and including practices. (that is a lot of races)
The Isle of Man race has lost 19 drivers since 1980 in just 35 races.

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, that is the craziest thing I have read today.........race cars have 6 point harnesses now. (3 point for casual racers)
I am not trying to flame you, but your premise that you are safer because a motorcycle is closer to a race bike is just past crazy.
I have driven fast cars and bikes and the "pucker" factor on bikes is at least 10 fold. There is such a lower margin of error and the consequences are dramatically different. In all of Nascar Racing since 1980 34 lives have been lost in all races combined and including practices. (that is a lot of races)
The Isle of Man race has lost 19 drivers since 1980 in just 35 races.
I do not ride motorcycles faster because they are safer. Safety has nothing to do with what I am saying. Motorcycles are generally much more dangerous than cars. Race machines, be they motorcycles or cars, are far superior in their suspension, tires, and stiffness of frame. The "feel" of them is much better and they are more sure footed than non race machines. Motorcycles typically have these better suspensions, tires, and stiff frames than cars.
Yes, motorcycles are typically more dangerous than cars.

On the other hand, occasionally they are safer:
http://elioowners.com/threads/will-other-drivers-see-us.5131/page-8#post-74213

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only thing that makes me ride faster on a Motorcycle is the fact that I get an endorphin rush and adrenaline rushes.
This is Not much good for judgement though.
In my case It has nothing to do with how close it is to a "racing machine", it is about suppressing your minds (fear) natural tendency.

Those rice burners can lead you down the wrong path easily.

One of the reasons I switched to one of those big ole Harley Touring bikes.

I am not as easily tempted to join the scenery.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My latest project, in the hope of having even more fun, is to replace the overworked little 850cc Reliant engine with something a bit more capable.
It is to be a Suzuki G10 engine as per the Elio prototypes, but with a bit of extra "oomph!" ;)

Very much at the early stages just yet. I've not much idea how much power it will give, but I'm sure it will be more than the standard 53hp and quite a bit more than when it was in the Suzuki Swift. But the mpg won't match that of the Elio. :rolleyes:

image.jpg

Nice!! I read an article just the other day about superchargers. While it won't give you exact hp/torque numbers, it might get you in the ballpark on what to expect. I assume this little beast is going in the Liege?

http://www.superchargerkits.org/eaton-goes-smaller-to-get-bigger/

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MY HOTROD ISETTA 700 IS A BLAST TO DRIVE .

IT COMBINES ISETTA GOOFINESS WITH A FULL CONVERTIBLE BODYWORK AND A BMW700cs DRIVETRAIN
IN THE PUREST MIX OF BMW CAR & BIKE EVER BUILT .

80mph IN AN OPEN TOP ISETTA IS DEFINITELY A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE .

3 MAGAZINE ARTICLES HAVE BEEN DONE ON IT . I PROBABLY SHOULD START TAKING IT TO SHOWS AGAIN .
MY OF ALL MY MICROCARS , SON JOSEPH WANTS TO INHERIT THIS ONE .
View attachment 5350 View attachment 5348
View attachment 5348
DSC_1715.JPG
View attachment 5350
DSC_0032.JPG

Last edited:

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of bonnets that should stay open, as in this air-cooled car which is usually driven with the rear hood cracked open... I can't make up my mind what the best car was I ever had, but the NSU 1200 TT that I owned, is towards the top of the list. (no, that''s not mine in the photo, but pretty close).

There are still people that drive these for slalom racing for example, as they can out-corner Porsches in tight curves.

[Broken External Image]

Last edited:
Top Bottom