• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would hope Elio understands the law better than PJ. In Illinois you won't get 5 miles with tinted side windows without getting a $500 ticket. I remember thinking I was above the law in my younger years but after paying several tickets and spending an afternoon scraping my custom $300 window tint off with a razor blade I learned better! No thanks.
Illinois allows 35% tint on the front side windows, 35% on side rears, 35% on rear window, and tint down to 6" on the windshield.

It didn't take much research to figure it out. You'll be safe as long as you allow 35% light transmission.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I didn't mention was that I tinted all the windows in my truck for $40. Yup. $9.95 per roll which does about two windows. Professionals could have done a bit better of a job, I'm sure. Also, they wouldn't be buying tint at retail prices either. I can't imagine tinting windows on the Elio would be very expensive to have done professionally or even as an option after delivery.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey blacky 99% of the cars can seat 4 people, have a usable trunk, have a longer warranty, have tried and proven engines and transmissions..and 99% of the cars are ON the road already after 6-7 years. .
You are the first bird who should be " mad as hell, and you're not going to take it any more"..
You gave him the money (10 million) and he couldn't FIND a damn muffler for the P4!
We have waited 6 months waiting for the P5, SIX MONTHS!
This is INSANE ..not even a picture of the damn thing,,.......does it even EXIST,??
Are you happy EM said another 14 months.? Seems like it doesn't BOTHER you at all.
I spent almost 20 years wearing the suits, and if this was any of the corporations I worked for, it would be dust in the wind.
Speaking of wind, as a bird, you know how hard it is to get to your nest when the wind is blowing against you. 120 million!
Oh, Did you forget paul elio is a car salesman.? Several on his board are car salesmen.? You are making fun of them, only a bird brain would do that.........oh, ah,,,hummmmm..I better go..STRAIGHTED UP AND FLY RIGHT!

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[
I'm fairly certain I've rolled my windows on my cars down before. I do know what you are talking about and my Corolla, Camry, and Prizm were definately all tint-free.

Toyota may not offer factory tinted glass but it's standard or optional on many brands.

14363366011_aba4b2c34a.jpg

14343591396_2e636c8aed.jpg
'

Last edited:

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey blacky 99% of the cars can seat 4 people, have a usable trunk, have a longer warranty, have tried and proven engines and transmissions..and 99% of the cars are ON the road already after 6-7 years. .

Where do you get this notion that current cars made it from the drawing board to production in only a few years? I've only seen timelines that short if they borrow heavily from an existing platform or share a driveline with an existing vehicle. Otherwise timelines on the 7-10yr range are not uncommon.

It took Ferrari 5 years to get the 458 spider(convertible version of the 458 italia) to market even though owners had requested to reserve them the day the 458 Italia was released.

Just last week Mark Reuss (General Motors global product manager) mentioned at an event that the C8 corvette development was well under way currently even though it won't come out until 2018-2019, and that's just a rehash of an existing platform!

Tesla incorporated in 2003 and produced their first car in 2008, though the founding pair were initially working with a driveline and many ideas gleaned from from the 1997 tzero prototype they had produced. So from recent examples it looks like 10 years is not out of the question from drawing board to new production vehicle.

Here's a quote from Von Malcolm Powell,Vice President, Vehicle Integration Tesla Motors regarding how long getting to production was taking (4 full years after receiving funding) "Having been involved in previous vehicle programs, I often get comments from people who see the first prototype (family and friends included, although they should know better by now) along the lines of: "surely it’s nearly finished, so why does it take so long to get to production?" Despite the use of modern computer systems to design and predict the performance of the components, it isn’t until you actually build and test a vehicle that you find out many of the detailed tweaks required to meet the quality, reliability, and performance targets expected of today’s motor cars."

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where do you get this notion that current cars made it from the drawing board to production in only a few years? [/I]"
A great example of this on a very small scale would be the average consumers response to many service related things.

When I was a car audio install tech I would give a one hour estimate to install a new stereo into a customers car and some people would look at me like I was crazy then ask, "seriously, I have to pick my kids up in fifteen minutes. Can't you put it in faster than that?". Twenty minutes later they would come back and see the dash of their car completely disassembled and say, "OH MY GOD! I didn't realize you had to do that!" I would just look up and smile. Then they would respond, "Take your time". I was able to provide a visual for my client that would provide them with a small glimpse into reality. Unfortunately Elio can not do that and their project is a thousand times larger than simply installing a stereo into dash that already had one.

2.ooohhhh your explanation was great, but no matter what we argue the ignorant and impatient will never grasp the concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is a kit car that will be put together on a assembly line using off the shelf parts from napa and pep boys and a few other suppliers. A roll cage designed by the cad computer for crash worthiness is not a 2 year project. Plastic panels from a storage company is not a 3 year project. A steering wheel from a chevy cruze and a tail light from a Hyundai is not a 18 month project...it has been going on since 2008, been turned down by the city of Pontiac Michigan and been turned down by the federal government. Stop dreaming and stop paying this man anything until he delivers a final prototype that is complete.
I am not the bad guy, the buck stops with paul elio...he needs to stand and deliver! People want their elios.

Top Bottom