• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you Edward, and yes a lot of it is tongue in cheek, we all want this vehicle to be built and provide the fuel economy they say it will. But, at what time does someone stand up and say "over a year and a half and you can't give me a finished product or put a muffler on the P4. Don't give me the waiting for the engine stuff either. Buy an comparable engine and transmission install it and give us the results.You have collect several millions dollars from us and cannot show us even a peek of the P5? I am saying it for a lot of people..no more money till you show us the P5..No more excuses!

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you Edward, and yes a lot of it is tongue in cheek, we all want this vehicle to be built and provide the fuel economy they say it will. But, at what time does someone stand up and say "over a year and a half and you can't give me a finished product or put a muffler on the P4. Don't give me the waiting for the engine stuff either. Buy an comparable engine and transmission install it and give us the results.You have collect several millions dollars from us and cannot show us even a peek of the P5? I am saying it for a lot of people..no more money till you show us the P5..No more excuses!
Breath in through your nose, take a DDEEEEEEEPP breath, now hold it, a little longer....exhale slowly through your mouth. If you keep going with this rant you're going to have a heart attack before you get your Elio. Nobody wants to see that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The P5 needs the new engine because that is the point of that prototype, testing how the car performs with the engine they plan on using for production. That step has to happen eventually. Building another prototype without the engine is just a waste of money. There are a thousand reasons why they haven't shown the new prototype yet. Maybe the new engine isn't performing as expected and they are working on tweaking it.
The P4 had a muffler. A NYC pothole ate it. :eek: Maybe the P5 is taking so long because they are working on that problem.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After reading that the transmission would come from Aisin and the power-train development was in IAV's court I looked around and my best guess is this is it: http://www.aisin-ai.co.jp/english/products/ff.html The BC5 seems to fit the bill. They have a package that automates the same transmission. the MC5.

My wife's Fiat 500C has a conventional 6 speed Aisin automatic built in a Hyundai plant here in the US. I will go for the automated version if my sweetie will be able to drive this without an endorsement. Otherwise the it will be the manual. http://www.aisin-ai.co.jp/english/products/others.html

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If only we could find out if there is a cost difference between the two, then we would have an idea of the extra cost of AMT vs. Manual.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't we all get the AMT and just shift for those of us that want manual, but with no clutch?

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The industry average is around 1200 bucks Elio has been hinting they would like to do it for less. I would budget 1K and put it elsewhere if it turns out to be less.
But looking at the BC5 and the MC5 there is not much difference, so why would it be that much more expensive? In the photos they look almost identical. Also with the MC5 there is no need for the clutch pedal and all the hardware, a savings in both labor and material.

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
PJ Rogers (is that "Peter the Jerk" Rogers? ) whined :
"It is a kit car that will be put together on a assembly line using off the shelf parts from napa and pep boys "
I don't see any "off the shelf parts" from napa or Pep Boys, much less a chassis to attach them to.
PJ obviously is quite ignorant about how an auto is designed, especially one designed by an individual and a few
compatriots rather than a multi-billion dollar automaker. The thinking that has gone into this design has been
extraordinary - just witness the windscreen wiper fluid system. They are creating an entirely new automotive
concept. The Fiero was a two seater but otherwise totally conventional. Many of the design paths Elio is
taking have never been travelled before. So far they have produced an excellent design.
And just exactly what does Peter the Jerk think Elio can accomplish by spending time fabricating an exhaust
system for a prototype ? Especially when, according to Peter, they could just wander down to their local Pep Boys
and buy one off the shelf? Which shelf is that Peter? And exactly what difference would it make,even if
they found one? This is a prototype, Peter. That's P-R-O-T-O-T-Y-P-E. It is NOT the manufactured vehicle.
Most new cars from automakers are supplied with off the shelf engines and trannies, and often even the chassis and
almost everything else. So, according to Peter's definition, all automakers must also be kit car makers. Yeah,right ...
Trolls like Peter need to get booted off this blog.

Top Bottom