• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Milage Vs. Power

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Yes it will; as I had stated, the Elio engine is a completely new design; there are early articles that do some of the explaining how it is so different.
But yes, 12:1, runs on regular unleaded. The head also has variable valve timing.
Thanks for the info.
I was in high school in the mid 60s and the big muscle car engines required high octane. Remember nice SIMPLE engines? Pop the hood and you can actually see the driveway. No prob changing the rear plugs. But I regress. . .

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I was in high school in the mid 60s and the big muscle car engines required high octane. Remember nice SIMPLE engines? Pop the hood and you can actually see the driveway. No prob changing the rear plugs. But I regress. . .
Simple engines in the mid 60's? I guess you never worked on cars like 429 Ford Cobra Jet engines; you had to take the front tires off, cut a hole in the wheel well so you could get to half the plugs; same in the Dodge Darts with the 440's in them (ok, not so much mid 60's, more like late 60's early 70's) Those were muscle cars! :thumb:
But the same applied to the full size luxury cars like a 67 Cad Coupe De Ville with every option in the world; I swore they used coffee cans painted black as the vacuum chambers for the cruise control and 5 gallon window washer reservoirs; just everything and anything to get in the way.
Now if it was one of the straight 6's or the small block V8's, then you could see the driveways.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, I remember seeing the vacuum canister on several of my old cars and thought "I swear that is a coffee can".
I swear that's what they used; they looked exactly the same; same size, same shape but they only had the fitting that went into them; so they got them before it ever had coffee in it (they'd probably weld a lid back on a few cans if inventory ran short)

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
When I first got interested in the Elio I tried to find something that I was familiar with that would match Elio specs.
Strangely enough I found that it matched almost exactly my first car.
A 1957 Austin Healey 100-6.
Once I saw that I was sold.
The 100-6 wasn't the fastest thing on the road, but it was a lot of fun.
When I was 13 (59) a friend of my dad took me for a ride in his Healy and I loved it. Got a MG TF for $600 in my senior year. Funny; the car I thought was UGLY was the bug eyed Sprite. Love to have one now.

Last edited by a moderator:

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Simple engines in the mid 60's? I guess you never worked on cars like 429 Ford Cobra Jet engines; you had to take the front tires off, cut a hole in the wheel well so you could get to half the plugs; same in the Dodge Darts with the 440's in them (ok, not so much mid 60's, more like late 60's early 70's) Those were muscle cars! :thumb:
But the same applied to the full size luxury cars like a 67 Cad Coupe De Ville with every option in the world; I swore they used coffee cans painted black as the vacuum chambers for the cruise control and 5 gallon window washer reservoirs; just everything and anything to get in the way.
Now if it was one of the straight 6's or the small block V8's, then you could see the driveways.

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Ya you're right. I was talking early 60s. My father had a 58 Ford with a "Police Intercepter V8". I think it was a 352 with a four barrel carb. I used to flip the top of the air cleaner over so you could hear the back barrels kicking in. The auto trans lasted 6 months!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya you're right. I was talking early 60s. My father had a 58 Ford with a "Police Intercepter V8". I think it was a 352 with a four barrel carb. I used to flip the top of the air cleaner over so you could hear the back barrels kicking in. The auto trans lasted 6 months!
That early was a little pre-muscle car era; that was back when they still just called them hot-rod cars ("Oh, those hooligans with their loud music and their Hot-Rod Cars; just disgusting ! They're probably smoking cigarettes and listening to that Evil Elvis")

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, on this thread I was waiting for someone to mention the concept of an electric boost option. Guess I'll have to.
There are very few vehicle that would be this easy to adapt to a EV boost. This kind of tech is used on the Prius for hybrid efficiency, but it's actually technically easier to implement it as a power-booster add-on.

The Elio has a swing arm with out any drive. That could easily be upgraded to a
1) Ev-Motor drive on a new swing arm,
2) a controller that has a switch or rheostat added to your gas pedal
3) a larger capacity generator to better re-charge a power pack
4) a battery pack(s) to be installed in hidden spaces and/or in the 'trunk' or under the driver's seat (special sport seat?)

The best Elio racer maybe would have the Turbo or other ICE mods, plus the E-Drive booster system above.

! You could race and still pass your emissions test. !

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I drove a friend's 58' Interceptor one time. I think it was the hottest stock car I ever drove. It would peg out the 130MPH on the speedometer.

Top Bottom