• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Milage Vs. Power

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I knew that; but as the article says the first ones were "works" cars; basically factory built race cars.
The imported the Tigers were never Shelby Tigers, they were always Sunbeam Tigers.
They were actually built by Jensen Motors with royalties paid to Shelby for doing the initial design for it; it was always Rootes Group was the parent company until Chrysler bought them. You would usually (they could be found at other dealerships also) find them at dealership that handled MG/Triumph/Austin imports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunbeam_Tiger

Well, I've got to correct my memory a little. It sure was a pretty Sunbeam Tiger. It had roll bars inside like the "works" car.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can someone correct the typo in this thread's title? It's making me die a little inside every time I see it. ;)

Reminds me of a joke one of my girls told me. She said "I accidentally swallowed a whole bottle of food coloring so I went to the doctor. He said I'd be fine but I feel like I dyed a little inside."

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone correct the typo in this thread's title? It's making me die a little inside every time I see it. ;)
Correct a typo? What's wrong with Power? Was it supposed to be Powder?
Milage is actually correct.
As per Webster's Dictionary
milage
/ˈmaɪlɪdʒ/
noun
a variant spelling of mileage

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Correct a typo? What's wrong with Power? Was it supposed to be Powder?
Milage is actually correct.
As per Webster's Dictionary
milage
/ˈmaɪlɪdʒ/
noun
a variant spelling of mileage
Huh. I've never seen it without it's "e" in there. My computer won't let me spell it that way without underlining it in red either. But, I desist. (it still looks wrong) :confused:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. I've never seen it without it's "e" in there. My computer won't let me spell it that way without underlining it in red either. But, I desist. (it still looks wrong) :confused:
I was just giving you a bad time, until I looked it up; I never knew that was a word either.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Furrinerz have problems spelling things like COLOUR and DEFENCE as well. I guess it's PC for everyone to be correct.

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Elio Gen 1 says that top speed will be over 100mph; 0-60 is 9.6sec if you look up 0-60 speeds for US cars, there are a lot of cars in that category.
Turbo; Paul has hinted at a turbo, but not on the Gen One Elio, maybe Gen 2 or Gen 3 as an option; they have said if they do come up with a turbo on future generations it would retro fit back to the Gen 1 Elio's.
Also, the motor is a 12:1 compression, you've got to really know what you're doing to fit a turbo on it; if you give it too much boost and the wrong time, you will blow it apart. The engine in the Elio is a completely new design, and not something your everyday speed shop is going to know how to approach for a while. This is one of the main reasons you can't compare it to 1 liter motors you have had in the past.

There is also a difference in fast and quick, quick is torque related, which is an area the Elio motor shines in.
I am not an engineer but 12:1 compression. And it still runs on reg? At these milage figures, 91 octane would be no big deal but I thought they said 87 octane is OK.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not an engineer but 12:1 compression. And it still runs on reg? At these milage figures, 91 octane would be no big deal but I thought they said 87 octane is OK.
Yes it will; as I had stated, the Elio engine is a completely new design; there are early articles that do some of the explaining how it is so different.
But yes, 12:1, runs on regular unleaded. The head also has variable valve timing.

Top Bottom