• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Milage Vs. Power

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What you do after the Elio is delivered is entirely up to you. But they are producing a fuel efficient car which does not lend itself to jackrabbit starts and sudden stops. It will only take 4 or 5 dozen Elios to get that Funny Car you're dreaming of.

Please note - I'm exaggerating a lot for the humor. Please forgive me if you're not in a humorous mood today. Most days I am, but not every day.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What you do after the Elio is delivered is entirely up to you. But they are producing a fuel efficient car which does not lend itself to jackrabbit starts and sudden stops. It will only take 4 or 5 dozen Elios to get that Funny Car you're dreaming of.

Please note - I'm exaggerating a lot for the humor. Please forgive me if you're not in a humorous mood today. Most days I am, but not every day.
I just imagined a new category of Elio Drag racing. That would be something,

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

No problem. I have found that sometimes humor doesn't always lend itself to the printed word. :-)

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
No problem. I have found that sometimes humor doesn't always lend itself to the printed word. :-)
I guess it was to 0-60 in 10 sec. My Ural side car hack is faster than that. Also, I've owned 900 and 1,000 cc motorcycles with less than 1,100 lbs. (can't use # for pounds because the younger generation only see # as a "hashtag!), including me and never got 1/2 of that 80+ mph. Admittedly, the newest engine technology and the elif's slick aerodynamics gives it a great advantage.

Spent time in the great state of Texas: Ft. Hood and Ft. Walters.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it was to 0-60 in 10 sec. My Ural side car hack is faster than that. Also, I've owned 900 and 1,000 cc motorcycles with less than 1,100 lbs. (can't use # for pounds because the younger generation only see # as a "hashtag!), including me and never got 1/2 of that 80+ mph. Admittedly, the newest engine technology and the elif's slick aerodynamics gives it a great advantage.

Elio Gen 1 says that top speed will be over 100mph; 0-60 is 9.6sec if you look up 0-60 speeds for US cars, there are a lot of cars in that category.
Turbo; Paul has hinted at a turbo, but not on the Gen One Elio, maybe Gen 2 or Gen 3 as an option; they have said if they do come up with a turbo on future generations it would retro fit back to the Gen 1 Elio's.
Also, the motor is a 12:1 compression, you've got to really know what you're doing to fit a turbo on it; if you give it too much boost and the wrong time, you will blow it apart. The engine in the Elio is a completely new design, and not something your everyday speed shop is going to know how to approach for a while. This is one of the main reasons you can't compare it to 1 liter motors you have had in the past.

There is also a difference in fast and quick, quick is torque related, which is an area the Elio motor shines in.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Wait a second ...... what's an elif?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I first got interested in the Elio I tried to find something that I was familiar with that would match Elio specs.
Strangely enough I found that it matched almost exactly my first car.
A 1957 Austin Healey 100-6.
Once I saw that I was sold.
The 100-6 wasn't the fastest thing on the road, but it was a lot of fun.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Am I the only one that wouldn't mind giving up some of that 84 MPH for more power? Turbo charger anyone? I'd be happy with 65 MPH. I know, I know. Lets get the Elio into production first. But, further down the road. . .

Part of their mileage is because they want to, and part of it is because they need to have good enough mileage to qualify for the ATVM loan; 65 MPG would not be enough.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am in the category of being willing to trade efficiency for power. The Elio's fuel efficiency is not what draws me to the vehicle at all. I love the design (except for the view dead on from the rear, I find that boring but we can work on it), I love the idea, and I think it will make a very fun commuter to go along with my bike.

I am holding out for the second year turbo, or maybe Roush will make an add-on kit. If actual plans for one are not announced by year two then I will probably just buy the naturally aspirated Elio and live with regular bolt-ons for power until someone makes a kit.

Right now I am getting 22 - 24MPG in my Miata. Since I only put about 300 miles per month on my cars anything over 10 MPG is fine, LOL.

Top Bottom