• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is The Eliomotors.com Website Down?

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am such a nerd... however I do know that the website is being worked on... I logged in today to drop my 1000 and some of the words have been switched and there are three extra tabs at the top of the page that are "unlinkable."

Anyway there is something coming from what I see :) here is a quote from the recent blog post

"Well, spoiler alert, we are working on the next generation of our website and there will be a section that we share some other information about reservations and a lot of other cool to know items."'

The update must be coming soon :) I am so excited I want to drop my 1000 but I think I am going to wait until the website is updated and finished... I have my 900 upgrade set aside and waiting...

What do you guys think? does it have any extra space toward the top of the page? Do you notice changes? Whose dropped the full 1000

Yes, I read all of that on the Blog yesterday. Nice thought, but from one old "fart," if I were you, young man, I would NOT be waiting for the new website to be up; waiting MIGHT cost you a 25% decrease on your reservation incentive.

Waste no time. . . . You say you have the $900, ready to go in. . . . GO.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did multiple searches of the source code in both IE8 and FF24.0 and found nothing remotely resembling what you've listed.
I actually skimmed through the entire source code just to make sure.
If it were in the source code the way you've shown, it would "show up" on the actual page.
It would show up as one blank single character space for each "empty tab" (via the "&nbsp").
However, to work in most versions of browsers, it must be " " (note the semi-colon).
That in itself would explain why they don't show up on the actual page.
To show up, the list items must have content. Without the semi-colon, and without a class or ID they "don't exist".
On the other hand, yes, the extra 4 spaces might have made everything too wide for the div holding the tabs.
That could be a reason for initially seeing the "about" pushed down to another line (and covering up some of the other content).

I have no idea why you're seeing this and none of us are.
I even looked for conditional statements that would feed different html to different browsers or versions of browsers and found none.
Having multiple CSS stylesheets coupled with ID tags, Class tags, and conditional statements will enable different styling for different browsers.
But it doesn't change the html across those browsers.
Without very specific conditional statements, the html should appear the same in all of the source code pages.
Whatever the case may be, I think it's more a case of the webmaster forgetting to clean up after themselves.
Not a case of "I'm putting this here because I know I'll be using these soon and I don't want have to remember how to do this."
It's a good, clean, fairly well-contructed site, and I don't think whoever's working on it would save themselves any time by using place-setters.
It just doesn't look like the site's set up to have content changes done by layman EM personel via a WYSIWYG editor.
A pro will usually use "edit out" <!--....--> comment sections for place-setting.
They'll do that for the very reason of not wanting the "place-setting" code to accidentally show up and affect the page.
Again, I think it was just a case of someone forgetting to sweep the floor before they left for the night.

The only thing that I can think of is that you've got hold of a different site addy than the rest of us somehow.
Possibly one of a group of "unpublished" pages kept by the webmaster for "practice only".
I do most of my dev offline, but there are some things that just don't show up until you run them live in all browsers.
If you post a link to the page where you're seeing these variations, I'll click on it and see if they show up on my machine.
SO1iz1EdSyC9DPvP6CS6_Confused%20Tom%20Hanks.gif

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Amwinkle,
I even went back and looked at all the <noscript> content.
Nothing there that would produce the variation you're seeing even if your scripting were turned off.
I'd take Jim H's advice and find out what the heck the deal is before attempting to upgrade.
Something just doesn't seem right here.
There's a very remote chance (anything's possible) that you're being hijacked to a bogus copy of the Elio site.

Last edited:

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Amwinkle,
I'd take Jim H's advice and find out what the heck the deal is before attempting to upgrade.
Something just doesn't seem right here.
Anything's possible.
Including (very remote chance) you being hijacked to a bogus copy of the Elio site.
FYI. I have the same problem on my Samsung Chromebook, but not using Windows 8. Think it's a Chrome thing.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just brought the thing up in Chrome.
No difference in either the published page or the source code.
Your resolution (width) on a smaller screen (tablet or mobile?) could cause the "About" tab to drop to another line.
But I can't imagine why it would show completely different source code.

Last edited:

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did multiple searches of the source code in both IE8 and FF24.0 and found nothing remotely resembling what you've listed.
I actually skimmed through the entire source code just to make sure.
If it were in the source code the way you've shown, it might "show up" on the actual page in some browsers.
It would show up as one blank single character space for each "empty tab" (via the "&nbsp").
However, to work in most browsers, it must be "&nbsp;" (note the semi-colon).
That in itself would explain why it doesn't show up on the actual page.
To show up, the list items must have content. Without the semi-colon, and without a class or ID they "don't exist".
On the other hand it is possible that the extra 4 spaces might have made everything too wide for the div holding the tabs.
That could be a reason for initially seeing the "about" pushed down to another line (and covering up some of the other content).

I have no idea why you're seeing this and none of us are.
I even looked for conditional statements that would feed different html to different browsers and found none.
Having multiple CSS stylesheets coupled with ID tags, Class tags, and conditional statements will enable different styling for different browsers.
But it doesn't change the html across those browsers.
Without very specific conditional statements, the html should appear the same in all source code pages.
Whatever the case may be, I think it's more a case of the webmaster forgetting to clean up after themselves.
Not a case of "I'm putting this here because I know I'll be using it soon and I don't want have to remember how to do it."
It's a good, clean, fairly well-contructed site, and I don't think whoever's working on it would save themselves any time by using place-setters.
It just doesn't look like the site's set up to have content changes done by layman EM personel via a WYSIWYG editor.
A pro will usually use "edit out" <!--....--> comment sections for place-setting.
They'll do that for the very reason of not wanting the "place-setting" code to accidentally show up and affect the page.
Again, I think it was just a case of someone forgetting to sweep the floor before they left for the night.

The only thing that I can think of is that you've got hold of a different site addy than the rest of us somehow.
Possibly one of a group of "unpublished" pages kept by the webmaster for "practice only".
I do most of my dev offline, but there are some things that just don't show up until you run them live in all browsers.
If you post a link to the page where you're seeing these variations, I'll click on it and see if they show up on my machine.
If you go back and look at that screenshot amwinkle posted on post #4 of this thread, you will notice that on the top tool bar, Chrome moved the "about" tab down to a new tool bar, so it blocks out the reserve box on the page. I get the same thing on my Chromebook tablet.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just brought the thing up in Chrome.
No difference in either the published page or the source code.
Your resolution (width) could cause the "About" tab to drop to another line.
But I can't imagine why it would show completely different source code.
Jellybean, android operating system.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I only see 2 changes - the addition of Blog at the top and on the Specs pages there is button bottom right for downloading a specs PDF. I'm on an iPad. :) Z
Z, I have that spec sheet printed out and on the wall of my cubicle. I'm pretty sure that isn't new.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If, in addition to the "dropped down" "About" tab, you're also getting that source code that most of us aren't:
The only thing I can think of is that you're being recognized as a mobile device in the incoming protocol process.
You're then being routed to a totally different site specifically designed for mobile devices.
The address in the address bar will still be http://www.eliomotors.com
Sites can also refer you to mobile versions via conditional statements in the head of the code, but I don't see that.
That's why I think it may be done in the "handshake" prototcol connection process.

Btw, I tried variations on making my window smaller and couldn't get the tabs to drop down to a second line.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If, in addition to the "dropped down" "About" tab, you're also getting that source code that most of us aren't:
The only thing I can think of is that you're being recognized as a mobile device in the incoming protocol process.
You're then being routed to a totally different site specifically designed for mobile devices.
The address in the address bar will still be http://www.eliomotors.com
Sites can also refer you to mobile versions via conditional statements in the head of the code, but I don't see that.
That's why I think it may be done in the "handshake" prototcol connection process.

Btw, I tried variations on making my window smaller and couldn't get the tabs to drop down to a second line.
Too high tech for me. I tried changing resolutions, and I was able to lower it, but the tool bar went away completely, thereby unblocking the reservation box. Tried all other options, and it's either doubles tool bar, or there is none. Not a major issue for me. If it is, I can just go in my office and get on my PC, and all is fine. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom