• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

First Robotics

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That was fantastic; I like how they caught it when it was ready to lose it's balance point. :thumb:
The garbage cans on top was great; I though for sure there would be more dropped.
I wish they would televise more of this and forget the battle bots.

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sure do wish they'd had these types of things when I was in school. Would've given my bored mind something to slobber on. Then again, we moved around too much at times and most receiving schools didn't know what to do with us and we were continually getting settled in.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sure do wish they'd had these types of things when I was in school. Would've given my bored mind something to slobber on. Then again, we moved around too much at times and most receiving schools didn't know what to do with us and we were continually getting settled in.
I was too engaged in learning the slide-rule

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Came across this,- for me it was either wood shop or metal.
Thought this might be a good spot to put it-
EDUCATION LIFE | TECH
Wood Shop Enters the Age of High-Tech

By JOHN SCHWARTZFEB. 5, 2016

Photo
07TINKER3-master675.jpg

The maker space at the Rutgers campus in Livingston, N.J., offers a clubhouse ambience and high-tech tools.CreditRichard Perry/The New York Times

Continue reading the main storyShare This Page
  • Halloween costumes, he said. “We support all of it.”

Photo
    07TINKER2-articleLarge.jpg

A 3-D plastic printer, top left, used to make various objects, including a robot with a motion-sensor heart. CreditRichard Perry/The New York Times
    There are 3-D printers, which can be programmed to create wildly inventive shapes out of plastic or resin (like a decent copy of the Iron Throne from “Game of Thrones” or a bust of Groot from “Guardians of the Galaxy”). There is a laser cutter to etch materials like fabric, marble or wood and cut through plastic. Next door is an electronics shop, with racks upon racks of parts. Close by are drill presses, a router and a key cutter, which Mr. Carter refers to as “our gateway drug,” a piece of equipment neophytes can use to produce something they really need. A common space with couches and a television gives students a place to talk, show off their projects or just hang out.

Mr. Carter cobbled it all together “by hook and crook and grants and saving.”

Students love it. Alexandra Garey, who graduated from Rutgers in May, credits tinkering with changing the course of her studies, and life: “I went from somebody who was majoring in Italian and European studies to someone who was designing and prototyping products and realizing any product that came into my head.”

October of senior year, she wandered into the maker space because she’d heard “you can make cool products” and was interested in exploring entrepreneurship and learning some business skills. “I had no idea what I was doing,” she admitted. But the students who used the place, mostly in science and engineering disciplines, were accommodating and patient, and soon she was on her way.

A month in, she got a call from a friend who wanted help coming up with a tool for children on the autism spectrum — a grip for a pencil or crayon that could be fitted with an extension so the teacher could guide the hand of students who dislike being touched. By January, Ms. Garey had designed and fabricated a piece through 3-D printing and it was being tested in New Jersey classrooms; she later modified the design for stroke victims and people with brain injuries. Now she is working on making French presses and coffee mugs out of Illy cans.

Then there’s Jason Baerg, an M.F.A. student from Canada, who paints in acrylics on paper or wood, and uses the laser cutter to etch the paintings and cut out shapes that he arranges into assemblages. “It allows me to bounce between abstract and figurative spaces in production and presentation,” he said. “I’m liberated.”

He appreciates that this is not a sterile engineering environment. The setting’s funkiness makes it “probably the perfect place to do this work,” he said, “like an exploratory safe space for you to go and try out your ideas.”

That kind of enthusiasm tells Mr. Carter he is on the right track. “U.S. schools are very good at finding the brain-smart people,” he said. “They are also very good at finding the best athletes.” But they are not so good at finding and nurturing people who, he said, describing himself, think with their fingers. The next Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, he said, are more likely to emerge from a maker space than a garage. Besides, he said, “it keeps kids off the street.”

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WATCH: Golf Robot Named LDRIC Hits A Hole-In-One
Updated February 5, 20164:09 PM ETPublished February 5, 20163:18 PM ET
LAURA WAGNER
Twitter
A hole-in-one is a cause for celebration, even (especially?) when a robot does it.

LDRIC, a cleverly named golf robot, aced the par-3 16th hole at Arizona's TPC Scottsdale course earlier this week on just its fifth try.

YouTube
The Launch Directional Robot Intelligent Circuitry robot's name is pronounced "Eldrick" — as in Eldrick "Tiger" Woods. With its triumph, both LDRIC and Eldrick have made holes-in-one from the very same tee. (Woods did it in 1997.)

The robot reportedly takes the wind and surface of the green into consideration when lining up and hitting its shots. Golf Digest describes LDRIC as "the go-to device for equipment and ball-testing in the golf industry. Not only is its swing sound and fluid, but it can replicate hooks, slices and other flaws inherent to the average golfer."

But it doesn't wear brightly colored pants. So at least human golfers still have that going for them.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WATCH: Golf Robot Named LDRIC Hits A Hole-In-One
Updated February 5, 20164:09 PM ETPublished February 5, 20163:18 PM ET
LAURA WAGNER
Twitter
A hole-in-one is a cause for celebration, even (especially?) when a robot does it.

LDRIC, a cleverly named golf robot, aced the par-3 16th hole at Arizona's TPC Scottsdale course earlier this week on just its fifth try.

YouTube
The Launch Directional Robot Intelligent Circuitry robot's name is pronounced "Eldrick" — as in Eldrick "Tiger" Woods. With its triumph, both LDRIC and Eldrick have made holes-in-one from the very same tee. (Woods did it in 1997.)

The robot reportedly takes the wind and surface of the green into consideration when lining up and hitting its shots. Golf Digest describes LDRIC as "the go-to device for equipment and ball-testing in the golf industry. Not only is its swing sound and fluid, but it can replicate hooks, slices and other flaws inherent to the average golfer."

But it doesn't wear brightly colored pants. So at least human golfers still have that going for them.

Ok, come clean, you're a robot too right?, I mean you don't seem to need sleep. posts at: 7pm, 11pm, 3am, whenever, what's your secret?

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Live on the west coast, and constantly off the usual "clock"- one of the upsides of retirement.
That's just what a robot would say...
Im semi retired, (ha ha, quit my job and not looking) but I still have to get the 2 kids off to school, so I can't go to vampire hours like you..

Top Bottom