• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors Owners/investors

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well I have to say Willie not very fair because I spent months here before finally getting enough scratch for a deposit.

granted I have not been driving anyone crazy lately though :D or making random assessments or stereotypes but I'm still here.
How much, if any amount of $, is no criteria for sharing.
Fortunately I have the resources to purchase 100 shares.
My only suggestion if you want an E, and have not the funds to get to 1k all in, that should be the direction one should be looking at.
When it's produced, you will recoup 50% of your "investment" with the incentive.
Another investment I think will exist when you might be the first 15-16k units built- the I want one of those will push the price above MSRP. Hence, my three reservations. I know I might not be able to transfer my E, so I'll buy it outright, and sell it as "used with <200 miles

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see this vehicle produced. I have not posted in quite awhile because I am an accredidted investor and I filed to see the full disclosure. Since I take CDA's seriously I regarded it as unwise to offer any comments lest I inadvertently reveal confidential information. While I elected to not go "big" as an accredited investor during the first offering, I did plunk down $5k today.

I have mixed feelings about this whole endeavor. I was virtually certain that ATVM would not fund before Q1, 2015 and stated so here, but I thought surely that would be wrapped up. I doubt EM will actually sell the entire $25M offering of the current tranch and regard the odds that EM actually produces this as 50:50 or worse owing to difficulty in obtaining the working capital they need to get into production and threats to losing their production site.

The one upside to investing in such a risky offering is that at least I understand the business model: get $300M in capital and produce a vehicle folks will, in my view, surely prize. But that doesn't mean that I'm confident with management (I'm not) or that the prospects are just slightly better than bleak. So having negative things to say is not the same as being down on Elio Motors but likely reflects a sense of realism. We were told they would be well into production by now.....

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see this vehicle produced. I have not posted in quite awhile because I am an accredidted investor and I filed to see the full disclosure. Since I take CDA's seriously I regarded it as unwise to offer any comments lest I inadvertently reveal confidential information. While I elected to not go "big" as an accredited investor during the first offering, I did plunk down $5k today.

I have mixed feelings about this whole endeavor. I was virtually certain that ATVM would not fund before Q1, 2015 and stated so here, but I thought surely that would be wrapped up. I doubt EM will actually sell the entire $25M offering of the current tranch and regard the odds that EM actually produces this as 50:50 or worse owing to difficulty in obtaining the working capital they need to get into production and threats to losing their production site.

The one upside to investing in such a risky offering is that at least I understand the business model: get $300M in capital and produce a vehicle folks will, in my view, surely prize. But that doesn't mean that I'm confident with management (I'm not) or that the prospects are just slightly better than bleak. So having negative things to say is not the same as being down on Elio Motors but likely reflects a sense of realism. We were told they would be well into production by now.....
Thank you for your input. Paul Elio is an engineer and we engineers (I am an engineer also) often do not have great business acumen. You said you were not confident with management. I would like to hear what you would like to have seen done differently. I would also like to know what you would do from this point forward. Thank you.

Hartka47

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Since I reserved two Elio's ( 10,547 and 14,378) and bought 1,400 shares on Saturday, I guess I am a believer. Even the delay into the fourth quarter, while irritating, could just be the reality of working through government requirements. I think the sale of Shares through StartEngine will go way over the limit. They are still getting 170 reservation per week ( down from 200 4-5 months ago), but steady. The counter on the home page tells that story. I am a little concerned that the production delay will give competitors an opening. I have seen the autocycle ( not to thrilled with that name) at two road shows and, in person, it is very impressive. Once on the road, it will sell big time. My goal is to get this "way to get to work" vehicle out there for those who need it. We pioneers do have to take the risk. Off topic: does the Elio have 'model' name? It does have one big problem. It is too low. At the demo, many had trouble getting out. I am old, 68, and fat, so I have a big problem, but others more spry also commented on it. I sent them suggestions to have a lift mechanism to raise the Elio temporarily. You only need 600 lbs of lift at the rear end, a 6" air cylinder, with 25 psi can do that.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for your input. Paul Elio is an engineer and we engineers (I am an engineer also) often do not have great business acumen. You said you were not confident with management. I would like to hear what you would like to have seen done differently. I would also like to know what you would do from this point forward. Thank you.

You are welcome, Pistonboy, and I would not regard engineers as bad businessfolks. I know more than a few who are quite adept at the skill of finding value and transacting it.

Paul's chief trouble is that he has been far too optimistic in my view, as visionaries often are, and clearly failed to appreciate how difficult it would be to secure the capital he needs to get his baby into production. Also like most visionaries (I'm thinking Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and - sigh - Elon Musk here), Paul has had a problem letting go, which is absolutely related to his evident lack of success at attracting investment. This thing would have been funded and in production quite some time ago if he and his team had been willing to cede control. I don't think this is mere shrewdness but rather an acknowledgement that he had backed himself into a corner by adopting inflexible positions as to cost ($6800) and efficiency (84 mpg) that rendered the risk-reward potential unattractive relative to other competing opportunities angels and venture would consider. If Paul were to cede control cost would go up and efficiency would go down but the odds of getting something close on the real market would increase dramatically. As it stands we will get either what Paul promised or nothing at all.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping to put a hundred all in deposit this week. Don't know if I will be able to. Money is tight, and with holidays could be used for better memories. Would hate to think I would not be able to feel like a part of this community (of which I love you ALL), just because I don't have the scratch to join the club.

I wouldn't feel bad 100$ in is still in. Im only 100$ in as I feel its what I could risk. I am not a big gambler and I know my risk limit. I fully believe in the idea of Elio. If they are produced I will buy one.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are welcome, Pistonboy, and I would not regard engineers as bad businessfolks. I know more than a few who are quite adept at the skill of finding value and transacting it.

Paul's chief trouble is that he has been far too optimistic in my view, as visionaries often are, and clearly failed to appreciate how difficult it would be to secure the capital he needs to get his baby into production. Also like most visionaries (I'm thinking Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and - sigh - Elon Musk here), Paul has had a problem letting go, which is absolutely related to his evident lack of success at attracting investment. This thing would have been funded and in production quite some time ago if he and his team had been willing to cede control. I don't think this is mere shrewdness but rather an acknowledgement that he had backed himself into a corner by adopting inflexible positions as to cost ($6800) and efficiency (84 mpg) that rendered the risk-reward potential unattractive relative to other competing opportunities angels and venture would consider. If Paul were to cede control cost would go up and efficiency would go down but the odds of getting something close on the real market would increase dramatically. As it stands we will get either what Paul promised or nothing at all.
Thank you very much for your reply. I have said something similar but you have added new insight and pinpointed specifics like inflexibility on cost ($6800) and efficiency (84 mpg). I believe Paul will fully develop and test the vehicle and have it completely ready for production using current funding. Then, if he has the ATVM loan he will go into production using that money. If he does not have the ATVM loan, I believe he will pull from his desk (if he is smart) a list of interested wealthy investors who declined investment before because of the control issue. I believe he will call up these investors and offer to share control in return for their investment. At this point, investors will be less incline to change the design of a fully developed and tested vehicle.

Could you read the following post I made and comment on it. I realize you may not be interested in reading all of it due to its length. I would like your opinion on the ideas I have written. Thank you.

http://elioowners.com/threads/funding-refused-by-paul-elio.6205/#post-104098
Post #1.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I agree P. Elio and company could be further along if they would be flexible on the points you said. People like who roll with big dollars (E. Musk etc) can force their points unlike Paul who isn't exactly ballin.

Top Bottom