• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do understand. I wear bifocals myself.
I'm just thinking it will take a few times to instinctively know where to glance at in order to see what you need. Hopefully the numbers are large enough to assist in this as well. Even a fish eye magnifier in front of them may do the trick. Unfortunately, we have to wait until they're being produced, before we find out..

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Has the dash setup really been finalized? Or is this all just a "test balloon" situation?

according to corporate responses on Facebook the Elgin will be the OEM standard dash .... it will be that way because that's the way Paul Elio wants it .... period .... given the fact that it is his company, he has every right to make such a decision

Unfortunately, we have to wait until they're being produced, before we find out..

exactly right .... we won't know how user friendly they will be until they are on the road and reports start coming in .... one of the advantages of having a high reservation number is being able to make informed decisions on what options are proven to be worth the money

Jim

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
according to corporate responses on Facebook the Elgin will be the OEM standard dash .... it will be that way because that's the way Paul Elio wants it .... period .... given the fact that it is his company, he has every right to make such a decision

exactly right .... we won't know how user friendly they will be until they are on the road and reports start coming in .... one of the advantages of having a high reservation number is being able to make informed decisions on what options are proven to be worth the money

Jim
I am hoping they will have the actual dash when we go to the drive and ride events next year. Then we will have a better feel for everything our Elio will be except personal options. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am hoping they will have the actual dash when we go to the drive and ride events next year. Then we will have a better feel for everything our Elio will be except personal options. :) Z

as strongly as Paul Elio seems to be committed to it, I'd expect the Elgin to be the one they market

Jim

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do understand. I wear bifocals myself.
I'm just thinking it will take a few times to instinctively know where to glance at in order to see what you need. Hopefully the numbers are large enough to assist in this as well. Even a fish eye magnifier in front of them may do the trick. Unfortunately, we have to wait until they're being produced, before we find out..
I wear no-line bifocals and have no issues with focusing........head moves, not the eyes glancing up or down, to retain focus at all times. Don't know if there are no-line tri-focals. I would be very surprised if the numbers would be to small to read as that would be a safety issue for drivers with or without the need for corrective lenses.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I wear no-line bifocals and have no issues with focusing........head moves, not the eyes glancing up or down, to retain focus at all times. Don't know if there are no-line tri-focals. I would be very surprised if the numbers would be to small to read as that would be a safety issue for drivers with or without the need for corrective lenses.

I've been wearing bifocals and now trifocals for over 60 years .... a while back I tried the no line lenses and wearing them literally made me sick .... I'm glad they work for others but for me they aren't an option .... I hope you are right about the size of the numbers but we won't know until we can see an Elgin mounted in the vehicle

Jim

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been wearing bifocals and now trifocals for over 60 years .... a while back I tried the no line lenses and wearing them literally made me sick .... I'm glad they work for others but for me they aren't an option .... I hope you are right about the size of the numbers but we won't know until we can see an Elgin mounted in the vehicle

Jim
That happened to me too, however, the Doc said be sure when you glance up, down or side to side, that you move your head not just your eyes as you would with normal glasses or bi-focals. I don't know if that was your issue........but it was a tip that worked for me........and I had to make a conscious effort to do it until it became more natural, but it's whatever works for the individual. Good engineering and design tells me the numbers will be sized to read.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That happened to me too, however, the Doc said be sure when you glance up, down or side to side, that you move your head not just your eyes as you would with normal glasses or bi-focals. I don't know if that was your issue........but it was a tip that worked for me........and I had to make a conscious effort to do it until it became more natural, but it's whatever works for the individual. Good engineering and design tells me the numbers will be sized to read.

my issues may well have fallen in the trying to teach an old dog new tricks category ..o_O.. over 40 years ago in Popular Mechanics I saw a cycle that looked like 2 seat jet with no tail and tiny wings .... I believe they produced some of them and I've kicked myself every since at not trying to buy one .... when I first saw the Elio, I couldn't help but think back to those days .... for us its a want vehicle, not a have to have vehicle .... I flat out don't like the look of the Elgin dash and really hope there will be a reasonably priced alternative .... we have already figured that the one we will order will cost considerably over $6,800 .... with an AMT, dash upgrade, cruise, a spare set of P4 front fenders, tinted windows, good seats and who knows what else, we are looking in the $10,000 +/- range .... I have trouble envisioning spending any amount of money on a vehicle only to have to sit looking at an Elgin dash every minute I'm in the driver's seat .... I'm happy for others who have no such issues

Jim

Top Bottom