• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

KegerChris

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a "techno-tard" when it comes to how to make digital displays, but what you say makes perfect sense to me.

There are gauges like this: http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

I bought one of those, cause my F350 doesn't have a boost gauge. Not that the sensor isn't there, just that Ford decided that I didn't need to know what PSI the turbo was putting out. (22 psi, according to this gauge)

So, point being, the ECM is already reading all the information that needs to be thrown up on a digi gauge. It makes more sense to put a computer screen in that reads that info rather than using old style gauges. I just bought a replacement 15 in screen for my laptop for $49 bucks. In bulk, I'm sure they would be much less. Just my thoughts. Dodge is doing it with the Dart and it looks gorgeous.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
In this day and age, wouldn't a computer screen be cheaper than multiple gauges?
No actually, the larger the sheet of glass the more difficult it is to keep it optically perfect, in addition a computer screen requires a high density of pixels but all the current design requires (aside from the tiny numbers) is holes punched in the plastic with cheap large LEDs.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a thought.
"We" are "used" to dashes resembling what is in the P4 right now. Most of us grew up with it, or something very simular to it. The Elgin dash is very different, looking more like a meter box for our electric supply than a car dash.
Do you suppose,,,, are we resistant to the Elgin dash because "we" are mostly older and not used to the "change" being forced upon us??
I've always prefered needle indicators and full faced dashes, even the digital reads with the exact mph we're doing at the time is uncomfortable for me. I have walked away from otherwise very good looking car deals due to this preference.
I for one will probably get the Elgin dash, as it is what is "base" for the Elio. I also will admit up front that if I just can't get used to it, I will at the very least make it look more acceptable to my own eyes.
The dash isn't a deal breaker for me this time around. Factually enough, most of us haven't driven a reverse trike of any type before. We're willing to give it ago, yet resist other changes that come with it.
I guess I'll know for certain, about a Year after I've driven MY Elio. ;)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do you suppose,,,, are we resistant to the Elgin dash because "we" are mostly older and not used to the "change" being forced upon us??

I'm sure that's a factor .... while age is involved in my dislike, it isn't because its not what I'm used to .... I wear trifocals and want a dash that can be read at a glance .... from what has been shown, I fear that it will take me too long with my eyes off of the road to read whatever info I need .... in short, its a safety issue

Jim

Top Bottom