• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get it.......you don't want to see it. LOL I don't like it either, but need to see it in person to make a final judgement. It's a want vehicle for me too. By some miracle maybe Paul will scrap the Elgin design before it gets into the production prototype. I don't like the idea of having to buy a dash option just because, but it is Paul Elio's vision. He is an engineer not a designer.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Me holding Elgin.jpg

elgin.jpg

Elgin dash rendering.jpg

As some may have seen over in the Charlotte mall visit thread that is indeed the prototype for the infamous 'Lord Elgin' gauge cluster in my hands. I do have to say that while the design is definitely unorthodox the gauge cluster looks better in person than it does in pictures.

I believe it will look even better in the car where it will be in proper proportion to the vehicle as I think one problem with the photos is that it is hard to get a proper sense of scale for how it fits in the dash which is why I have included the previously seen rendering in this post for comparison. When I asked Jerome if they would install it in the P4 he said they considered it but they would not as both the P4 and the gauge clusters are one of a kind prototypes at this point so it was not worth the risk of damaging either one at this time.

As it can be damaged easily if dropped this may not be traveling with the tour for long and it will not generally be left out for everyone to see however if you ask nicely and they have it handy they may just share it with you. Hopefully the battery will be fresh so you can see it in operation.
'
The numbers are about 1 cm or about 3/8 of an inch tall, they are quite easy to read, and they look a lot more clear when moving than I thought they would. When powered on the dash runs through a simulation however the battery died while we were playing with it. Jerome said he would try to remember to charge the battery tonight so hopefully tomorrow I will be able to make a video of this in action.

Last edited:

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is that the fuel gauge on the lower right hand circle? It has 8 marks wich would match up with the fuel tanks 8 gallon tank. It also seems like you are going to have to guess your speed when it marked every 20 mph with just a dash in between for the 10s.. Most places around where I live go with speed limits of 5s like 25, 45, etc.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Elgin Dash should be the upgrade option..........so Paul could have one in his Elio. Technically, they would only need to manufacture 1. Oh I kid Paul Elio..... It's his baby so he can do what he wants..............I have no preferance.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Elgin Dash should be the upgrade option..........so Paul could have one in his Elio. Technically, they would only need to manufacture 1. Oh I kid Paul Elio..... It's his baby so he can do what he wants..............I have no preferance.
I'm all-in and yes its his car but that doesn't mean I have to like the Elgin dash. Like others, I will live with it but I find it to be less than desireable

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately due to some technical issues and time constraints we were not able to measure the dash or get a video of it however we did get a much clearer photo of the dash and a decent photo of it turned on briefly as the battery was still not cooperating. Hopefully there will be some operational video in the near future as it really would help clear up some of the misconceptions people may have about what they will see when this is installed in an operational vehicle.

100_1925.JPG
100_1924.JPG
100_1922.JPG

It was an honor to be able to see and handle this prototype gauge cluster which is currently a one of a kind item and could be damaged if mishandled so it is not taken out much. It was also an honor to be able to post these photos as these are the first close-up photos which Elio Motors has allowed us to see of this dash. I may have even inadvertently caused Jerome some issues over these photos because this is a controversial topic so I made sure to thank him and apologize if this did cause him any issues.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately due to some technical issues and time constraints we were not able to measure the dash or get a video of it however we did get a much clearer photo of the dash and a decent photo of it turned on briefly as the battery was still not cooperating. Hopefully there will be some operational video in the near future as it really would help clear up some of the misconceptions people may have about what they will see when this is installed in an operational vehicle.

View attachment 3763 View attachment 3762 View attachment 3761

It was an honor to be able to see and handle this prototype gauge cluster which is currently a one of a kind item and could be damaged if mishandled so it is not taken out much. It was also an honor to be able to post these photos as these are the first close-up photos which Elio Motors has allowed us to see of this dash. I may have even inadvertently caused Jerome some issues over these photos because this is a controversial topic so I made sure to thank him and apologize if this did cause him any issues.
Did it appear to have button to reset to miles traveled, or just current milage only?

Top Bottom