• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Balloons In The Air / Unanswered Questions

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will remote lock/unlock be available without Skyz?
There might be a far cheaper workaround for remote locking: install an alarm. I need one anyway, nothing too sophisticated, just enough to keep the honest people honest . . . but a remote lock activation is a matter of wiring it in. With power locks, you already have the solenoid to operate the lock.

Graemexx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
One question that is very important is how are they going to ship them. They would not fit on a rail or auto carrier because the centre of the carrier is used for the loader to strap down. They could ship by flat bed and get maybe four vehicles per trailer. They could buy slings for millions of dollar that would reduce shipping costs but the slings would have to be returned. The last option would be about a hundred custom trailers, this would cost about ten million and they would have to return to Shreveport empty

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
One question that is very important is how are they going to ship them. They would not fit on a rail or auto carrier because the centre of the carrier is used for the loader to strap down. They could ship by flat bed and get maybe four vehicles per trailer. They could buy slings for millions of dollar that would reduce shipping costs but the slings would have to be returned. The last option would be about a hundred custom trailers, this would cost about ten million and they would have to return to Shreveport empty
They can do the same thing that they do on a hoist, you lay a flat piece of metal across for the rear wheel to sit on.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
How would they drive them on the trailer and get the flat panel under the rear wheel?
Like so many other this that are meant to be temporary, put a short section of filler that they can roll on while loading; have the cross supports they sit on during transport as a fixed piece, once they load, remove the filler panel so that you can tie down as needed. Simple fix.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That would be hard slugging those panels. Would the car be able to be carried with a wide wheeled forklift?
That's a possibility also. They have said that the marshaling centers and transport is being handled by an established, rather large company; who it is they wouldn't say as per request by that company. So if they are an established transport company they probably already have a plan as to how they are going to haul it.

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio features an independent suspension with unequal length control arms, coil-over-spring and shock in the front and mono-shock with coil-over-spring and shock in the rear. The ground clearance is 5.75″ — similar to most of the passenger vehicles you see on the road today.

SO HOWCOME THE P-5 HAS A BLUE SPRING IN YOUR PICTURE AND AN ORANGE ONE IN MINE ?

I asked Jerome about that when I saw the Elio a couple of weeks ago - if color matched springs were going to be offered in the production. He said he didn't know, but that one of their suppliers presented them with the orange springs for the P4 now and they jumped at the offer. They do jump out at you. I'd seen the P4 a year ago and noticed the different springs right off.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was mentioned by the Elio people (I think by Paul Elio himself) of having a temporary bar attached across the back of the Elio with two small wheels on each end of the bar. This bar would be easily removable. Of course, these would have to be returned to Schreveport after transportation is done.

With this large volume of vehicles planned, the marshaling company may have their own transports that are modified by having a center ramp welded in place (between the outer two ramps) in order to hold the rear wheel.

I have wondered if the marshaling company owns or just operates the marshaling centers. Also, who owns the transports or will they be contracted. These are some of the many things Elio Motors has to deal with. People who complain do not realize how much work has to be done and on a shoestring budget at that.

Edit: In post 33 of this thread, it is stated by AJ Maxey: "I heard that EM would have these available for service centers (tire places, oil & lube, etc.) when they need to roll an Elio up on a lift, not for transportation."

Last edited:
Top Bottom