• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anti-theft Measures?

briish

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something like that and arguably a much better return on investment over an alarm system. I would do it, but I like all the features that I can get with an alarm. Like, remote start, window roll up, keyless entry, trunk pop, remote lights, etc, etc. and I can install it my self and make it look like nobody ever touched the car.
hahahhha cant steal wot you aint got lmao

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've used a number of battery cut-off switches over the years, and placed somewhere out of the way where you won't notice them, they are inexpensive and really effective. Battery switches are required on most racing classes, because they can quickly disconnect the battery in the event of a crash. Several types are available:

[Broken External Image]
412QVN5N2JL._SX300_.jpg

They fell out of favor on family cars a while back because disconnecting your battery causes all of your car's stored memory to evaporate - like your ECU, radio stations, and preferences in your "body computer".

But there's a simple fix for that. Bridge the switch with a 5A fuse, seen as the black jumper in the right photo above, or for a neater installation, run a lead back to your fuse block and install a fuse in one of the empty sockets. This jumper will provide power to your memory devices, even your dome lights when you open the door - but try to start the car and the fuse pops, leaving your car dead in the water. The only way to get the car underway is to locate and throw the switch, but on a dark street any self-respecting thief is going to move on to something more expensive and saleable than your Elio. You'll forget to flip the battery switch occasionally, so carry a few spare fuses to restore normal operation before using the switch again.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Siri.........find my Elio!
:D It's a feature of Drive+ on Nokia's Windows phones, but for sheer entertainment, Carrr Matey is a fun app for Android and iPhones that uses a pirate theme to record (drop anchor) your car's GPS location.

Both work well, but I can't help but like the pirates. Arrrr!
pirate1-smiley.gif

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I once had an alarm installer tell me never to buy a "factory" alarm. They're all installed the same way, in the same places, and every thief on the planet knows how to work around them. Independent service shops (or DIY jobs) are never the same twice, thus increase the security of the system drastically. Makes sense to me. If you're paying good money for an alarm, don't make it any easier for the thieves out there.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've used a number of battery cut-off switches over the years, and placed somewhere out of the way where you won't notice them, they are inexpensive and really effective. Battery switches are required on most racing classes, because they can quickly disconnect the battery in the event of a crash. Several types are available:

[Broken External Image]
412QVN5N2JL._SX300_.jpg

They fell out of favor on family cars a while back because disconnecting your battery causes all of your car's stored memory to evaporate - like your ECU, radio stations, and preferences in your "body computer".

But there's a simple fix for that. Bridge the switch with a 5A fuse, seen as the black jumper in the right photo above, or for a neater installation, run a lead back to your fuse block and install a fuse in one of the empty sockets. This jumper will provide power to your memory devices, even your dome lights when you open the door - but try to start the car and the fuse pops, leaving your car dead in the water. The only way to get the car underway is to locate and throw the switch, but on a dark street any self-respecting thief is going to move on to something more expensive and saleable than your Elio. You'll forget to flip the battery switch occasionally, so carry a few spare fuses to restore normal operation before using the switch again.
Just remove the ignition fuse. Allows you to maintain the memory on everything, still disables the car and is very cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom