• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Additional Options?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's because it is; the Elio will get motorcycle plates.
This goes back to where it is/was considered a motorcycle at first; just like the Can-Am, and other 3 wheel vehicles.
I think the motorcycle plates look better than automobile license plates because they are smaller.

License plates look ugly, so the smaller the better.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
as noted per Fed Regs, an Elio is expected to be registered and licensed as a motorcycle .... the look of the P3 rear end if fine but, again as already noted, I don't believe it will lend itself to adding a trailer hitch receiver

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trailer hitch. I hope it is developed by someone not to long after the Elio comes out. I'm not smart enough to make one.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's because it is; the Elio will get motorcycle plates.
This goes back to where it is/was considered a motorcycle at first; just like the Can-Am, and other 3 wheel vehicles.

As I understand it the feds are going to create a new category called an "autocycle". When and if this is done it would be my guess that each state would decide what size plates the autocycles would use. And let's not forget many states require a front plate too.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that would help .... I understand that for you the shape of the rear of the Elio is a important to you .... I don't believe that EM will produce it in their first generation of vehicles, who knows down the road ....

I think you're probably right. The standard rear end will be "the black thing". I'm hoping the "the stylish thing" will be an option.... that's why I keep harping on it on this forum. Maybe someone from Elio will see this and think it's not a bad idea. After all, they already have the design and it would be just one more way to make money.

That said, I have a back up plan. When I get the car I'll drive down to the border and stay at a friend's house (on this side) for about 3 or 4 days. Meanwhile the Elio will be across the border in Matamoros. I know a body shop over there that can do almost anything and do it well, fast and at a great price. I have no doubt that with a few good pictures to go by they can make me a new rear end panel. I would rather buy it from Elio, but hey, if Elio doesn't want the money, the Maxicans sure do.... :D

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think you're probably right. The standard rear end will be "the black thing". I'm hoping the "the stylish thing" will be an option.... that's why I keep harping on it on this forum. Maybe someone from Elio will see this and think it's not a bad idea. After all, they already have the design and it would be just one more way to make money.

That said, I have a back up plan. When I get the car I'll drive down to the border and stay at a friend's house (on this side) for about 3 or 4 days. Meanwhile the Elio will be across the border in Matamoros. I know a body shop over there that can do almost anything and do it well, fast and at a great price. I have no doubt that with a few good pictures to go by they can make me a new rear end panel. I would rather buy it from Elio, but hey, if Elio doesn't want the money, the Maxicans sure do.... :D

I'm sure your people on the other side can do a great job, but you need to take a close look at the back end on the P3 and the P4 and compare them side by side. You're talking about a major change.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
hope you will post pictures .... as to crossing the border or even coming close :nono: .... that's not for me

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
As I understand it the feds are going to create a new category called an "autocycle". When and if this is done it would be my guess that each state would decide what size plates the autocycles would use. And let's not forget many states require a front plate too.
Front plate, only on cars and trucks; I don't know of any state that requires a plate for the front of a bike/trike

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Colored rear end AND the stylish version are already planned options by Elio.

Top Bottom