• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Additional Options?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
A vehicle like the Elio just lends its self to customization; that where the low price really plays in, you have a low enough starting point that you can personalize it any way you like and not be in over your head with minimal changes.

I'm even going to go a step further and build a part I can sell for the Elio.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
fenders yes ... rear end, not so much .... road spray from rear tire would most definitely be an issue and rigging the rear so as to tow a trailer would be extremely difficult (if possible)

Good points! I wonder if the other read end would be any better as far as road spray. Perhaps some kind of "mud flap" could be added. As to a trailer hitch, I admit I never thought of that, however I'm sure there must be a way.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good points! I wonder if the other read end would be any better as far as road spray. Perhaps some kind of "mud flap" could be added. As to a trailer hitch, I admit I never thought of that, however I'm sure there must be a way.

haven't seen the P3 in person .... the rear tire of the P4 is far enough in front of the rear cowling that it should do a good job deflecting water spray .... from the picture of the P3 it appears to actually stick out a bit

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
haven't seen the P3 in person .... the rear tire of the P4 is far enough in front of the rear cowling that it should do a good job deflecting water spray .... from the picture of the P3 it appears to actually stick out a bit

Ok, I'll continue to play. The original on the left and my idea for a modification on the right. Extend the bottom of the rear panel an inch of two by slightly modifying it's angle of slope and lower the opening for the wheel. What da ya think?

Iminhgt2.jpg

1772246kui10.jpg

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
that would help .... I understand that for you the shape of the rear of the Elio is a important to you .... I don't believe that EM will produce it in their first generation of vehicles, who knows down the road ....

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I'll continue to play. The original on the left and my idea for a modification on the right. Extend the bottom of the rear panel an inch of two by slightly modifying it's angle of slope and lower the opening for the wheel. What da ya think?

Iminhgt2.jpg

1772246kui10.jpg
I just noticed the rear light for the first time. It and the entire rear is very clean. However there is no place for a license plate.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I just noticed the rear light for the first time. It and the entire rear is very clean. However there is no place for a license plate.
That one of the problems with clean vs. functional
Clean is a way it looks the best, functional is the compromise to change it from show only to street-able.
I've done a couple of show trucks in the late 70's that were street legal; for the license plate I had it come down from behind the rear body panel. When you had the key off, it would retract back behind the lower body. Doing this on the Elio would be tough because of size limits.
Worked something like this newer version

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
In this image it shows the same style rear end with a place for the license plate. It does look like a motorcycle plate.

That's because it is; the Elio will get motorcycle plates.
This goes back to where it is/was considered a motorcycle at first; just like the Can-Am, and other 3 wheel vehicles.

Top Bottom