• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have just an update on the ElioYear1.

I'm finding the new 'red' images a bit challenging. That is to say, I was expecting to just modify the P4 model.
But what I'm finding is interesting. There are several subtle changes once I try and map it to the P4. The changes would all be beneficial to the aerodynamics of the P4. I would guess, they were tinkering very carefully, then testing each change in a simulator. Doing as Paul has said many times, tinkering to get the mileage up.

This all leads me to believe that EM would not make any changes that are not beneficial to MPG. So I'd say there is little likelihood they will go back to the bulbous popped out headlight style that the P3 uses, since that would have a mild effect on the aerodynamics.

I also noted a very slight rise to the undercarriage, indicating a little trimming to the ride height and angle. Typically 1 inch higher at back. The hood is very-very slightly higher at the wipers, and there is rounding going all the way down the sides, except for the sculpted and indented side panels. There is an under-pan indicated under the engine. And of course, as is obvious, the front is longer and lower at the nose with a smaller 'mouth' at the radiator.

All of these curves continue to fit the original chassis and engine placement with the exception of 1/2 inch or so more head height near the windshield. The 'sweetspot' for the headlights seems to be exactly the same, indicating very little change, if any, for the engine and related accessories.

The 'red' images have the sides fully enclosed, which is typical for initial aerodynamic simulator testing. I suspect they will not want to open that up very much in order to retain as low a Coefficient of Drag number as they can.

Having said that, I think all the changes are so subtle that modifying the P4 is still suitable for use in our 3d model print of the EY1. So I'm staying to plan on this version.

To actually be 100% accurate, I'd have to start from scratch, and I don't have a good reason to do that, for now.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Where can I view the "red" car?
Could this be the production version of the Elio? Note the smaller front intake. There also appears to be a slight raise in the rear section of the roof. Pause between 1:44-1:48.

Well it's an interesting image. I guess everyone can take a look and decide what they think. :D

elio-video-screen-grab-jpg.4234.jpg

elio-video-screen-grab-jpg.4236.jpg

p3-jpg.4250.jpg

p4-jpg.4251.jpg

Fixed it for ya'. This may be a progress design study either before or after P4. Did they change the door location to curbside?? All I did was stretch this lengthwise to get the proportion like the P4. The cabin looks taller here, I did not mess with that dimension. The Elio just gets better 'n better. Smaller nose intake, taller cabin, more refined lines. Rear wheel cover is body color. Recess at the front hood trailing edge for the wiper. Narrowed B pillar. Teaser rear spoiler.

I think its more like the P4.

I posted in the other thread, but wanted it here too. Yes Jerome confirms that the 'red' views are the new Elio look for Year one. I don't like the profile look at the back as much (much better for the passenger however), but the nose is definitely more F86 like. Very nice to my eye. Just eye-balling it, It's only about 2in extra material at the front to achieve that, with a slightly smaller grill 'mouth'.

Our current 3d model already is wide-rounded more than the actual P4, but this appears fully rounded out, filled-in, or whatever. I'll let you know how that goes.

One of our members wants to make his own by hand, so I will create 'views' you can print on 8.5x11 paper as plans.

I'll refer to this body art as ElioYear1 or EY1.

If anyone finds a view showing how they will 'port' the body for the suspension attachment, please post it. For now I have to assume it will be the same as P4.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One more aspect will need a decision. Will the new Year1 have the same front wheel covers, or will it be a little more streamlined?
If anyone gets a chance, that will be useful. Otherwise I'll have to make an assumption for that as well.

Apparently, they are in the Phoenix area this week. If I can connect one more time, I'll ask about it.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio miniatures and models project update.

Unfortunately due to falling quite ill, and as a result falling behind on my other work, I have not been able to devote the time needed to move quite as far along in this process as I had hoped to over the last 10 days or so and this week is pretty slammed for me as I play catch up on everything else. Hopefully next week I can begin work on getting the first set of casting molds printed so I can see how that process goes. I just have to figure out exactly how to get the CAD software to create a negative of the computer model for me. :D

In working towards completion of good printable computer models I have 3D printed a full 1:32 scale Elio miniature which is slightly over 5 inches long and 2.5 inches wide. While the printer is still in draft mode, to keep printing time down and material costs low, the result still looks amazing to me. I can not wait to see what happens when I am ready to produce some high quality 3D printed miniatures and molds.

big elio in the cube.jpg
big elio profile.jpg
big elio rear profile.jpg

You can also follow along on the Facebook page I created for this project:

https://www.facebook.com/elio3dprinting

Top Bottom