• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reconstruction continues. . .
Visual update for you.
ElioYear1a.png

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
While Ari works on the latest version of the rendering I continue to refine my understanding of what it takes to convert the renderings into a reliably printable 3D CAD model. As part of that process, and also for fun, I have printed a variety of test prints in different sizes and colors. I will be publicly unveiling these prints at a Georgia Elio Owners Club Meet and Greet this Sunday afternoon in Dunwoody, GA.

prelim test prints multi color and size 1.jpg
prelim test prints multi color and size 2.jpg
prelim test prints multi color and size.jpg

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
While Ari works on the latest version of the rendering I continue to refine my understanding of what it takes to convert the renderings into a reliably printable 3D CAD model. As part of that process, and also for fun, I have printed a variety of test prints in different sizes and colors. I will be publicly unveiling these prints at a Georgia Elio Owners Club Meet and Greet this Sunday afternoon in Dunwoody, GA.

View attachment 4680 View attachment 4681 View attachment 4682

Wow, a public unveiling! You stud!

Nah, seriously, those are VERY cool, from one techno-geek to another.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ready to order my Hot Red one......It looks great.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score

So G1, I have access to a 3D printer and I think they are looking for things to do with it.
Would I need a file of some sort in order to print one of these?
I believe that it has a 5" limit. I'm not sure of the brand or anything.
Is this something I could do?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
So G1, I have access to a 3D printer and I think they are looking for things to do with it.
Would I need a file of some sort in order to print one of these?
I believe that it has a 5" limit. I'm not sure of the brand or anything.
Is this something I could do?

I am sure you can do it. The file most likely to be compatible, as most 3D printers use them, are .stl files with some printers preferring .obj files. I try to keep my updated .stl and .obj files uploaded to this public Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bxh8JmkBAL7wU3VacXF2TGpyQ2s

If you want to create new 3D designs and/or edit the files you would need some kind of CAD software. Frankly this kind of software is where 3D printing still has some ways to go in becoming user friend and some more advanced features are still restricted to paid software however there are some good free CAD tools out there which provide a lot of functionality even if they are still engineering tools so not exactly user friendly.

A free piece of CAD software which is commonly used in the 3D printing world is Meshmixer which is actually part of a larger suite of free software tools aimed at the 3D printing world.

http://www.123dapp.com/meshmixer

FreeCAD is a good general purpose piece of CAD software. It is quite powerful and while not terribly difficult to use there is a learning curve involved in using CAD software.

http://www.freecadweb.org/

If you have Windows 8 Microsoft actually has a pretty nice basic piece of software which is fun to play with and easy to use. It is mostly an entry level tool and does not have very advanced tools however it does have pretty some intelligent repair capability which can actually automatically repair many common problems found in 3D models.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/3d-builder/75f3f766-13b3-45e9-a62f-29590d5781f2

Microsoft also has an online 3D model repair tool which is essentially the same repair capability as the desktop app however all you do is upload your files and receive and download a fie and after waiting a bit download a file with the repairs to the 3D model.

https://modelrepair.azurewebsites.net/index.php

Top Bottom