• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3d Model

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, would be nice, but frankly that doesn't seem too likely.
I'm a interdisciplinarian, jack-of-all-trades, that just fits nicely into my interest in this vehicle type. So I can work, I'll bet at a variation of speeds, and any number of levels or angles.
But, today's modern business involves the use of intense trade specialties and high-end expertise with a focus on latest technology. Even supervision is a specialty, not brought up from inside the ranks anymore.
On top of that I've been very public and EM can not take a chance on perceptions of conflicts of interests.
Not that I won't be kept in mind after production starts, if they had something a generalist could do. :) But I doubt strongly it would sum-up that way for them.

The most usual way a technologist like my self makes it, is independent small business. Kits for cars and 'kit cars' comes to mind.

But HEY, I'm a flexible guy. lol.

Having said that, program management of some focus does need a variety of awareness with-in one individual.

Last edited:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio Motors 3D Printable Design Concepts (www.facebook.com/elio3dprinting) miniature Elio project is moving along. The printer arrived yesterday and I set it up today then I used the preliminary computer model for some test prints to test the new printer. They are not too bad at all for a preliminary computer model printing at the lowest resolution setting and using default automatically generated support structures.

While there is still a lot of work to be done before I am able to provide an accurate timeline or cost estimate things are developing quickly into a somewhat more solid plan. As I mentioned above I am looking into resin casting as a way to produce a number of Elio miniatures reliably in a cost efficient manner. This was just one of many good ideas I have received and I continue to welcome ideas and offers of assistance as some of these have proven to be quite helpful so far and I am sure that will continue.

I know everyone is tired after the long week with its up and down news from Elio Motors so I hope you all enjoy these pictures of a brand new 3" long Elio prototype.

First miniature Elio using the preliminary computer model for some test prints to test the new printer. These are at the lowest quality setting with default automatic support structures. The black base area is about 3" long.
View attachment 4378
View attachment 4381

First miniature Elio trailer using the preliminary computer model for some test prints to test the new printer. These are at the lowest quality setting with default automatic support structures. The black base area is about 3" long.
View attachment 4380
View attachment 4379

The workbench where it all happens.
View attachment 4382
Fantastic. Put me down for a red one in each size.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WOW, awesome, Superb!
This is a little much, but, any chance I can get an Atlantric print in a small size?

Actually, I do have a 15in(more or less) mold for Atlantric already. If anyone wanted a cast made, let me know. GoofyOh, if your activity turns into real business, I could be talked into turning that mold over to you. But it is a huge size for anyone's desktop or bookshelf.

So I was looking at the 'red' profile presentation of the Elio. I believe that might be the closest to the Year1 improved version. So I'm thinking of making that a new 3d model in anticipation of what Year1 might look like. It does have the 'better' nose and the extra 2" head height for the passenger.

If I can get back over to the auction show today, I'll ask if that's in play or if the P4 is the actual final design.

I posted in the other thread, but wanted it here too. Yes Jerome confirms that the 'red' views are the new Elio look for Year one. I don't like the profile look at the back as much (much better for the passenger however), but the nose is definitely more F86 like. Very nice to my eye. Just eye-balling it, It's only about 2in extra material at the front to achieve that, with a slightly smaller grill 'mouth'.

Our current 3d model already is wide-rounded more than the actual P4, but this appears fully rounded out, filled-in, or whatever. I'll let you know how that goes.

One of our members wants to make his own by hand, so I will create 'views' you can print on 8.5x11 paper as plans.

I'll refer to this body art as ElioYear1 or EY1.

If anyone finds a view showing how they will 'port' the body for the suspension attachment, please post it. For now I have to assume it will be the same as P4.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I posted in the other thread, but wanted it here too. Yes Jerome confirms that the 'red' views are the new Elio look for Year one. I don't like the profile look at the back as much (much better for the passenger however), but the nose is definitely more F86 like. Very nice to my eye. Just eye-balling it, It's only about 2in extra material at the front to achieve that, with a slightly smaller grill 'mouth'.

Our current 3d model already is wide-rounded more than the actual P4, but this appears fully rounded out, filled-in, or whatever. I'll let you know how that goes.

One of our members wants to make his own by hand, so I will create 'views' you can print on 8.5x11 paper as plans.

I'll refer to this body art as ElioYear1 or EY1.

If anyone finds a view showing how they will 'port' the body for the suspension attachment, please post it. For now I have to assume it will be the same as P4.

Let me know how it goes as I will likely decide to base my CAD models on the updated EY1 design. I have gotten pretty good at exporting the 3D renderings you create in Sketchup and importing them into the CAD software then refining the 3D wire meshes of the CAD model. :)

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score

The red graphics do not indicate bulges at the suspension points. Maybe they have decided to eliminate the bulges and not articulate the body there? So perhaps the chassis/suspension configuration has been modified to eliminate the bulges or the body has become a couple inches wider?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The red graphics do not indicate bulges at the suspension points. Maybe they have decided to eliminate the bulges and not articulate the body there? So perhaps the chassis/suspension configuration has been modified to eliminate the bulges or the body has become a couple inches wider?
Yes, they bulged the sides and consumed the topography that made up the side skirts. I had done that same thing by mistake (at first) for my 3d of the P4, just not 100% of it. So I left a bit of topography there.
It does look better that way, and is more aerodynamic as well.

Opps, but yes, the suspension will still go in, I'm sure they didn't cut out that part simply waiting on other decisions.. It means to me that they are considering the point I made that those side areas should be sealed. I suggested they use a silicon membrane there.

I had said that to Paul himself, but that doesn't mean he remembered. It's just a obvious thought any sensible engineer could run across.

Last edited:

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have considered that the suspension frames penetrating the side walls just move up and down for the most part, so that four vertical slits in the body should be sufficient to minimize air drag without large "wheelwell" cutouts in the sides like the P4 has. The axle shafts and steering linkage tie rods go in and out in other directions that would require larger holes.. Small solid deflectors or silicone sheet gasketing could close those slits off even more if it was beneficial. A removable panel could be devised to make that area accessible for servicing.

x.jpg

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have considered that the suspension frames penetrating the side walls just move up and down for the most part, so that four vertical slits in the body should be sufficient to minimize air drag without large "wheelwell" cutouts in the sides like the P4 has. The axle shafts and steering linkage tie rods go in and out in other directions that would require larger holes.. Small solid deflectors or silicone sheet gasketing could close those slits off even more if it was beneficial. A removable panel could be devised to make that area accessible for servicing.

View attachment 4399

And you know too, just for this 3d model we don't have to be right-on. We can just do something that looks like slits and print it that way.
OK, that's how I'll do the EY1 3d.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I may need help from the membership. First the quotes;
. . . I asked Jeremy V (at the Rome air show) what the P4 lights where taken from. He said that he didn't remember but, the final versions will be different anyway. :)
Oh ouch, that kind of hurts my 3d model attempt. So I guess I promise to adjust that in the graphics as soon as I know. I have no images of what that headlight styling might be.
If it's not a bulging geometry, not much trouble for the 3d print. But still a problem for any snap together model.
At some point, I really need to know if these headlights stick out and what the style is.
It has been stated before about safety related to wide set headlights, and it leaves more internal space. So I wouldn't be surprised to see something that 'bumps' out.

So if you find images, or are able to get a very detailed response from the EM Team, let me know right away.

Top Bottom