• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/29/2014 - Tech Talk - Engine Series: Part 3

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Clearly from the picts of Elio block, that it is all aluminum (which was expected). The iron sleeves had not been pressed in yet. I do not know of an engine that uses aluminum cylinder sleeves, hence the cylinder walls will be a little thicker than shown.
The cylinders will not be sleeved, they will be flame sprayed. To understand the process, search the topic, or see elios web site.

Last edited:

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Clearly from the picts of Elio block, that it is all aluminum (which was expected). The iron sleeves had not been pressed in yet. I do not know of an engine that uses aluminum cylinder sleeves, hence the cylinder walls will be a little thicker than shown.

there won't be any sleeves in the production Elio motor .... the cylinders walls will be sprayed with some sort of coating

Jim

KegerChris

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love it. I love how clean it looks even on the outside. I can't wait to see the dyno results.

I'm a detail nut. I'll either be sanding and polishing the emblem or painting it. I can't wait to see what it looks like with the engine installed and I hope they don't do the big plastic cover like all the other companies do. I LOVE the look of a clean engine under a hood, whether it's a 3 cylinder or a big beefy V8

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused (OK, I admit there is nothing new about that) .... as noted above in a prior info release weren't we told that the motor had already been assembled, spun and was being or was ready to be torn down to check clearances .... after which it would be reassembled and run on the dyno starting on or about Nov 15th .... the wording of this release suggest that is all still in the future

Jim
Probably a function of the PR system and approval queue. Having managed technical PR for a number of years, I'm pretty familiar with what's involved. These things trail the news; print pieces come after press conferences and interviews, not before them. Technical PR invariably takes a while to produce because it has to be checked over by management, the legal advisor, and who knows who else -- and especially Paul Elio, who may not have a lot of time to OK press releases and PR pieces like this.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Love it. I love how clean it looks even on the outside. I can't wait to see the dyno results.

I'm a detail nut. I'll either be sanding and polishing the emblem or painting it. I can't wait to see what it looks like with the engine installed and I hope they don't do the big plastic cover like all the other companies do. I LOVE the look of a clean engine under a hood, whether it's a 3 cylinder or a big beefy V8

As EM is so focused on keeping costs down I would be surprised if they spend extra money on a plastic engine cover.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As EM is so focused on keeping costs down I would be surprised if they spend extra money on a plastic engine cover.
You're probably right -- but they might if there's a significant engine noise problem and if a cover is cheeper (and lighter) than an insulating blanket on the firewall. Who knows?

Top Bottom