• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

10/29/2014 - Tech Talk - Engine Series: Part 3

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
has any info been given as to their target for the motor/exhaust sound level ? .... Harley straight pipe ? .... Honda Goldwing ?

Jim

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The cylinders will not be sleeved, they will be flame sprayed. To understand the process, search the topic, or see elios web site.
The aluminum engine will not be be sleeved in the traditional sense (pressed in steel sleeves) , but it is going to be sleeved with a steel liner. It is much thinner than a traditional "sleeve" and is sprayed in a molten form to adhere and transfer heat more efficiently. Aluminum cylinder walls would never hold up long by themselves. This technology is pretty cool and you avoid issues like sleeve movement. I wonder how thick this steel material actually is?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The aluminum engine will not be be sleeved in the traditional sense (pressed in steel sleeves) , but it is going to be sleeved with a steel liner. It is much thinner than a traditional "sleeve" and is sprayed in a molten form to adhere and transfer heat more efficiently. Aluminum cylinder walls would never hold up long by themselves. This technology is pretty cool and you avoid issues like sleeve movement. I wonder how thick this steel material actually is?
You might be able to find some information about it at Flame Spray. I think that is the name of the company creating that product for Elio and other vehicles. :-) Z

OctoberGlory

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The cylinders will not be sleeved, they will be flame sprayed. To understand the process, search the topic, or see elios web site.

Many years ago I briefly worked for a company called Metco that sold and manufactured flame spray equipment. It is a proven technology in many manufacturing processes to provide a thin layer of metal on top of the base layer of metal. We sold guns that flame sprayed a metal powder of various metal compositions and another gun that was fed from 100-pound rolls of wire. The core of the wire contained powdered metal too. Delta was a big customer at the time. They used it to spray turbine blades and many other components in a jet engine.

Certainly not a high tech application for flame spray, but one day I took in the expansion pipes off my Yamaha RD 400 and they were flame sprayed with a thin coat of aluminum. Years later when I sold the bike the coating was still in great shape and the pipes never rusted.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the size of he engine block, I scaled a picture in ACAD and asuming the bores are 74mm and stroke is 77mm (like metro). I allowed about 1mm for spray bore on each side and come up with about 3 inch rough bore in the picture, about 11 inches long for the block. Fairly petite I'd say :)

Oh , looks like the 2 holes near the oil pan flange are to tie the block to the center mains, will make for a stiffer, therfore quiter block than the G10.

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When this engine is finished the only thing identical to the Suzuki G10 engine will be the number of cylinders. I think Elio should have claimed loosely based on the Geo Metro engine. I definitely expect a smaller bore and longer stroke than the G10.

It's like when you go to the movie and all it has in common with the book is the title.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
When this engine is finished the only thing identical to the Suzuki G10 engine will be the number of cylinders. I think Elio should have claimed loosely based on the Geo Metro engine. I definitely expect a smaller bore and longer stroke than the G10.

It's like when you go to the movie and all it has in common with the book is the title.

The problem is not what Elio Motors has said but what the expectations of many in the Elio community have been. If we go back and look through the information we have been provided by Elio Motors we find that they have always said that this is an all new engine with its basic design derived from the Suzuki engine.

Richad

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I was in Vegas the other day at the Shelby musieum and had a nice conversation with Paul Elio. I asked if the newly machined engine had that special spray coating applied to the cylinder walls? He replied he should have known that answer but they arn't sure if that will be used or just sleeving the walls or ?????. Time will tell what the decision will be. This engine won't have the 2 step valve system but will be on later prototypes.

Top Bottom