• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wtf!?! Oh Yeah! It's On!

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, the squirrel's 'ammo' [black walnut] is around 1 1/2" in dia., same size as the I.D. of my kitchen sink vent stack, and the holes in the squirrel vent guard/UFO flask suppressor is 3/4". Should work...unless the aliens are smaller than I calculated! :alien: [been dying for a reason to use that smilie!] :D
Great looking design. Let's hope the squirrels don't decide to switch from walnuts to acorns.;)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great looking design. Let's hope the squirrels don't decide to switch from walnuts to acorns.;)

Yikes! And they're just spiteful enough to pull something like that. Yet another reason to line the tube with 1/8" hardware cloth!

If the cover's don't work out, I've already got a 'Plan D'...build nesting boxes for Red Tailed Hawks around the perimeter of my yard. Bring it, squirrels! :boxing:

Keith Dahl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got home after a long day at work yesterday, wife tells me the kitchen sink is backed up. Went to the store and got a jug of Liquid Plumber, dumped it in and let it sit overnight. Still clogged when I woke up. No problem, I'll swing by Lowe's on the way home and pick up a 25' sink snake. Ran the snake until it went all the way to the main vent stack...not draining. WTF?!o_O Didn't seem possible, but I was running out of feasible causes for it not draining. So I got up on the roof with a flashlight and looked down the vent connected to the kitchen sink...Holy Sh*t!! :eek: It's filled to the top with black walnuts!! Got out as many as I could, but it's apparently chocked full! This is going to be a messy job for sure. It's on an exterior wall, so it looks like the siding's coming down to get to it. The neighborhood squirrels have just made the 'hit list':mad:, and I've got just the thing to take care of them (JEBar knows). Bad enough they take one bite out of every vegetable growing in the garden, but now it's going to cost me time and money. Just what I wanted to do this weekend!
ive heard that handyman who has a natl radio show talk about that before. maybe some mesh over the top when you get her cleaned out? similarly,i hjad covered an rv with a tarp but was still hanging out in it in backyard and covered a vent. wow. I thought it was stinkbugs in a closet or something, I opened closet where pipe runs up and no bugs. climbed up and cut tarp over vent and smell disappeared in minutes. last fall the stinkbugs were really bad. never saw anything like it. im wondering with our moderate winter if we will be undulated again this fall. ooops got carried away....good luck getting those shells out.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
....good luck getting those shells out.

It took some major deconstruction [destruction] of my house to get them all out (9 total), but it's draining like it should now.

house deconstruction.png

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay...Made a compromise (out of argon, no flux-core wire:mad:), went with PVC. Turned out kind of like the CAD drawing more or less. Hope they run up to hide their nut(s), and say, "WTF! (in squirrelese, or course)", and run to the house next door (kickstart program for future sales!;)). Pretty simple, hope they do the trick. Throw some voltage on it and it'd make a descent bug zapper!

SAM_2148.JPG
SAM_2149.JPG
SAM_2151.JPG
SAM_2154.JPG

I did one for the smaller pipe that got "squirrelled", same concept. The ones going after my garden are still on the "hit list".:boxing:

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That does look rather bad-azz :D. I just remember my parents house in MD, avid bird watchers and my dad coming up with new inventive ways to keep the squirrels out of his feeders.

Well one of the last ones was a greased metal cone lid over the feeder ... but the little monsters figured out the right time and swing to hang on just enough to swing underneath for the score :D

Top Bottom