• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wrap That Rascal

Nathan Diffee

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I posted this in the "regional" section, but I thought I would post it here and see if anyone has any general information on the subject...

I'm brand new to this forum and 100% on the Elio bandwagon. I will be reserving a spot the second I have the extra cash.

I noticed on their site they have plans for a store in Hoover, AL. I also noticed that they plan to offer wraps as an option. Does anyone know how this might be done? Will they do them in-house? It seems like the kind of thing they would contract out. The reason I ask is because I work for a company just down the road in Pelham that does vehicle wraps, and I would love the chance to design and wrap some of these things.

Anybody have any insight on how that will work or where I might inquire about it?

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because a wrap is a special skill and not something everyone can install successfully, I imagine it will be done by sub-contractors who have both the ability to print and install the product. It's not extremely difficult, but it requires experience, and often the availability of several hands.

My first Lexus RX 300 had an obvious design flaw (later corrected in the following model year with a really ugly black mat) in that the top of the heavy vinyl bumper cover was not protected where it joined the tailgate, meaning heavy objects that went in the back would easily scar the bumper. I purchased a "protective film" kit that was custom cut for this application - a 9-mil sheet of clear plastic that would cover the area neatly from the tailgate, aft to wrap downward over the bumper. It was 14 hours before my scheduled departure on a 6800-mile vacation trip and the car was already loaded and ready. I had to get this on the car right away before I destroyed the bumper on my trip.

It was early May and a dark, chilly 55° out when I read the directions - overlooking the part about not installing it below 55°. It went on like a big decal, floating into place with a spray of soapy water and squeegeeing it into place with the edge of a credit card. The result was only fair, as I got all but a few bubbles out, and there were still a couple of stubborn wrinkles. That "decal" cost me $75, so I worked at it for a couple of hours before giving up. It would do for the trip, but I'd replace it on returning home.

Fast-forward three weeks, and after traversing all kinds of weather from blizzard in Wyoming to 114° in the Texas Panhandle, my handiwork was looking better and better. When I got home, the little vinyl "wrap" was perfect. The heat-cold cycles, plus a good baking in the sun had evened everything out and the result was perfect - it was invisible. Now I don't want to risk that as a DIY with a wrap costing a couple of thousand dollars, but nowadays there are plenty of videos on YouTube that will help if you just want to install a couple of graphics.

Nathan Diffee

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured if they offered it as an option they would contract it out. That's what I'm interested in finding out. I've been wrapping vehicles professionally for about 5 years, and I am always looking for new and unique projects to work on. When I saw the Elio, my first thought was "I want one!". My second thought was "I want to wrap one!" I'm hoping to get in touch with someone involved with the local store. It would be awesome to be the go-to shop for all their custom wraps. Or, at least get in touch with some local owners to do some custom jobs for them.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Email Elio directly regarding your question. Team Elio is very good about replies and does so in a timely manner based on my experience. Good luck with that very creative profession......in particular the design end.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured if they offered it as an option they would contract it out. That's what I'm interested in finding out. I've been wrapping vehicles professionally for about 5 years, and I am always looking for new and unique projects to work on. When I saw the Elio, my first thought was "I want one!". My second thought was "I want to wrap one!" I'm hoping to get in touch with someone involved with the local store. It would be awesome to be the go-to shop for all their custom wraps. Or, at least get in touch with some local owners to do some custom jobs for them.
Welcome to the forum and we are looking forward to your ideas about how to wrap our Elio's. We have a great bunch of excited Elio fans who are always looking for ideas to make their Elio distinct. Welcome and enjoy the journey with us..

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I posted this in the "regional" section, but I thought I would post it here and see if anyone has any general information on the subject...

I'm brand new to this forum and 100% on the Elio bandwagon. I will be reserving a spot the second I have the extra cash.

I noticed on their site they have plans for a store in Hoover, AL. I also noticed that they plan to offer wraps as an option. Does anyone know how this might be done? Will they do them in-house? It seems like the kind of thing they would contract out. The reason I ask is because I work for a company just down the road in Pelham that does vehicle wraps, and I would love the chance to design and wrap some of these things.

Anybody have any insight on how that will work or where I might inquire about it?
Hi and welcome from Oregon, Nathan. If you have read the Elio Store tab on the Elio Motors website you see that the stores will all be Elio Motors owned. Therefore, I suspect you would have to contract with Elio Motors and with private individuals but I'm not sure. They are going to give us more information on options when we get closer to production. In the mean time, enjoy exploring what is offered here plus sharing your own experiences and insights. I feel fairly certain your experience and knowledge will be well received. :-) Z

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are wraps and there are wraps..i am going to wrap with alsa.com stuff..love the blue..but some of the other stuff looks good..the hgarts.com is very interesting for parts you can take off. check them out!

Nathan Diffee

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I don't know much about wraps. What advantage or disadvantage over paint does a wrap have?
Wraps tend to be less expensive and les "permanent" than paint, but It really depends on what you want to do. If all you want is solid colors, you might be better off with pain or something like PlastiDip or a spray wrap like in the video above. If you want graphics, logos, detailed images, and certain textures and effects, you would need a wrap. (custom logos and graphics can be painted, of course, but that would be way more expensive than doing them with a wrap).

Top Bottom