• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wow...how Did We Get From This To The P4?

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That first sketch is very sleek but kind of impractical. As was noted, the stability was in question due to the front wheels being set too close. And the cabin? Well, you would either need to be reclining pretty far back or laying on your stomach! And forget trying to pry a passenger into the back. What we have now is definitely practical (I like it a lot) but I agree with G1 that the next step will be to create an upscale model for those that want more while continuing with the base model for those that just want to get from A to B in relative comfort and style while bagging a price they can afford.

I read a review that suggested that if the Elio succeeds it would be a logical step to take that success and create a more typical 4 wheel model and try to leverage a market in the mainstream. Hmm, I'm not so sure. Wouldn't that kind of put us in the same boat as AMC and other 4 wheel startups? Why would Elio mess with success, as we suspect will occur when the 3-wheeler hits the road.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My thought is One Elio......One Model. We can already upscale our Elios with the many upgrade options to personalize.........perhaps two future drive trains.......Elio I.C.E. & Elio Electric.

The Elio will sell like hotcakes in it's current form. Future model year tweaks to update the body style, increase mpg, finally get the gas filler cap on the proper side, keep the low price in check, and improve safety features from model year to model year........simple and cost effective manufacturing.

I think Elio Motors will stand by it's business model and philosophy to build affordable, high mpg, and a safe commuter vehicle for the average driver.......o.k. possibly a roadster/convertible for those that feel the need to drive topless. The future Elio vision would more likely be a hovercraft.................not a four wheel vehicle.

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My thought is One Elio......One Model. We can already upscale our Elios with the many upgrade options to personalize.........perhaps two future drive trains.......Elio I.C.E. & Elio Electric.

The Elio will sell like hotcakes in it's current form. Future model year tweaks to update the body style, increase mpg, finally get the gas filler cap on the proper side, keep the low price in check, and improve safety features from model year to model year........simple and cost effective manufacturing.

I think Elio Motors will stand by it's business model and philosophy to build affordable, high mpg, and a safe commuter vehicle for the average driver.......o.k. possibly a roadster/convertible for those that feel the need to drive topless. The future Elio vision would tend to be a hovercraft.................not a four wheel vehicle.
That was very smooth! I like the filler cap reference! But if it saves a few bucks I'm happy with it where it is!

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm hoping that Elio Motors will be such a success that down the road they'll be able to produce all sorts of models catering to everyone's preferences and needs precisely. I think the P4 fills its own niche that'll allow them that success.

I can't help but imagine a future lineup of fuel efficient, safe and affordable models alongside some more luxurious and/or performance ones. Some even with 4 wheels. I'd assume they're likely to stay in the relatively affordable and subcompact-car market. But definitely all that stuff will have to wait several years.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
l love the sleekness of the early concept sketch that looks like the 50's bomber tank racers, but completely agree on how the Elio has naturally evolved. That sketch is a "west coast choppers" version...no doubt some hot rodder will make one like that someday. But I totally agree with everything I've seen so far about how the Elio has developed and is developing - its been true to its goals and there is something refreshing about its honesty, I hope it does not become corrupted with tacky trim, fake woodgrain or other gobledegook just to appeal to a market segment it does not need. The P4 is a winner and future classic in my book because of what it is, if it stays true to itself.

I am just as giddy that this thread has not been merged/renamed/moved after 16 hours...made my day. Thanks G1.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The original Elio prototype styling evolved to a more functional and aerodynamic production based prototype design that probably won't change much from the P4.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Top Bottom