• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Your Elio Retain Its Resale Value?

Spyche Chaos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
A little pessimistic are we? I doubt there will be any depreciation on the first model year Elios as many people will want to buy used ones so they don't have to wait for one to be produced...that's how popular they'll be...

Oh, OK! I'll make sure to tack on an extra grand to the asking price, then. Your totally unsubstantiated opinion has convinced me.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think depreciation in the first year will be a matter of supply and demand.
If it is as well received as many of us believe it will be, the first year will create a major demand when you have no way to buy one without up to a years wait. And we all know that there will be those willing to pay a premium for a difficult to acquire item. After the first year, when retail stores open and two to three day delivery is available, we will probably see 20% depreciation once title has passed to the first owner..

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would think that the comparisons with DeLorean would be obvious, though not an exact parallel. Charismatic guy starts a vehicle company, with a unique/offbeat design, has money problems. Whether the parallel holds with limited production, a lawsuit, and bankruptcy remains to be seen.

The VW parallel is also there. Perhaps a fascist government will take over the company, lead the world into war, and the company will go on to produced millions of the model before moving on to other vehicles.
That the Volks survived a fascist Gov I would count a testament to a rather distinguishing strength of the design over most other designs. The same would go to the Elio. That is if it does survive, if you know what I mean. I'd not put it past the Big "O" nor Hillary finding something to charge PE with and turning the Elio over to one of their cronies, if you know what I mean that is. LOL I'm sure there are some here who did not know that's what happened to the Jew who designed the Volts.

My only point for the DeLorean was that it was never meant for the common folks. Hence you might notice my name for this site. LOL
P.S. I don't perceive an ounce of charisma in Paul. Chutzpah, maybe? Gonads, maybe? Competence? Just my opinion.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think depreciation in the first year will be a matter of supply and demand.
If it is as well received as many of us believe it will be, the first year will create a major demand when you have no way to buy one without up to a years wait. And we all know that there will be those willing to pay a premium for a difficult to acquire item. After the first year, when retail stores open and two to three day delivery is available, we will probably see 20% depreciation once title has passed to the first owner..
The potential post manufacture demand may parallel the pre-manufacture demand with our current 2 + year wait and our willingness to gamble a $1k reservation deposit that we will be able to acquire one.

Those choosing to wait gamble paying a potential $1k premium to buy an early production Elio from a reservationist hoping to flip their Elio's. It's a crapshoot scenario.

If EM announces a funding score to guarantee production, reservation numbers will rapidly increase to the max first year production cutoff.

Last edited:

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
<snip>
P.S. I don't perceive an ounce of charisma in Paul. Chutzpah, maybe? Gonads, maybe? Competence? Just my opinion.
Charisma comes in many flavors. Paul Elio has inspired his followers far beyond what his actual performance would warrant. To me, at least, that is indicative of him being a charismatic leader. (definition 1> compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.)

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Charisma comes in many flavors. Paul Elio has inspired his followers far beyond what his actual performance would warrant. To me, at least, that is indicative of him being a charismatic leader. (definition 1> compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.)
I attribute him a persona of competence and that's about it for me. As for his design Idea I can see that standing on it's own merit. Plus that set of parameters (the Elio) comes strictly from a his competence in my opinion. I feel confident to throw a rock and hit someone with more charisma. Sorry, but his talks are simply not charismatic to me but rather dry. That is of course excluding his expository on the Elio concept, however. LOL

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The potential post manufacture demand may parallel the pre-manufacture demand with our current 2 + year wait and our willingness to gamble a $1k reservation deposit that we will be able to acquire one.

Those choosing to wait gamble paying a potential $1k premium to buy an early production Elio from a reservationist hoping to flip their Elio's. It's a crapshoot scenario.

If EM announces a funding score to guarantee production, reservation numbers will rapidly increase to the max first year production cutoff.
Yep! it's all down to the FUNDING!!! To be honest, every day I open here hoping to see the new thread-" Funding Secured-all ahead full"

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can ya see this for the ELIO?????

Tesla’s Used-Car Store Is A Cheap Way to Get A Tesla
5c2dd8da579dba3e332993e6fe8e54db7df72e84.png
Justin Hyde
Managing EditorMay 4, 2015

c761051999bdd4de6be90d6a4bcfecb3ce21db6f.jpg

Just as it relies on its own stores and the Internet to sell its cars new, Tesla Motors has jumped into the used-car business on its own as well, opening an online store last week offering “pre-owned” Model S sedans in 11 cities — and, for some shoppers, potentially a good deal.

The Tesla site launched quietly last week looks less like a car dealer’s inventory and more like the Apple store’s remanufactured section. Buying the car requires a $1,000 deposit, and shoppers who aren’t located in the 11 cities around the country can get a vehicle shipped for an additional $1,500. Unfortunately for online tire-kickers accustomed to pouring over photos for flaws, Tesla doesn’t picture the actual model, but a generic representation.

The company says each used Model S it sells comes with a four-year or 50,000-mile warranty — although most are so new they would still be covered by the original owner’s 8-year, unlimited-mile warranty if sold privately with a $100 transfer fee.

And how do the prices stack up? At first glance, not too shabbily. The least expensive Model S in inventory sits in Atlanta, a 60-kWh 2013 edition with 10,481 miles and a $61,000 price tag. A check of that model and others shows prices that straddle those offered by private sellers and dealers, with a slight bias toward undercutting. By selling its own used cars, Tesla will bring some structure to a market that’s been all over the map and give some support to its resale values — even if it never has to buy a single giant inflatable gorilla.

Top Bottom