• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Your Elio Retain Its Resale Value?

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the Elio continues in production for 5years and beyond, the value will drop to 50%. If it goes out of production, the value will go to 200% and beyond. That is what history has taught us. I purchased one of the last Corvairs made for $2500 and sold it for $3500 when delivered. I currently own a 42 year old RV which cost $15K new, went out of production 37 years ago and can be sold today for $20K. I paid $2800 for a 1989 Miata, drove it 5 years and sold it for $5K and bought a '97 Miata for $6K which can probably be sold for $5K today.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder how the Elio T-shirts will wear and if they will retain some value. Although many may choose to mat and frame them for garage wall or man cave decor.

I already have my cancelled Lit Motors C-1 reservation certificate framed and hanging on my wall of vaporware concept vehicles. Lit Motors claim to still be in the development stages, perhaps I should move it to the opposite wall.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder how the Elio T-shirts will wear and if they will retain some value. Although many may choose to mat and frame them for garage wall or man cave decor.

I already have my cancelled Lit Motors C-1 reservation certificate framed and hanging on my wall of vaporware concept vehicles. Lit Motors claim to still be in the development stages, perhaps I should move it to the opposite wall.
The best practical option, cut into 4" strips and put it in the outhouse.
As for the T, I'm keeping it new, if I get my E I'll wear it, if not the three wheel fans might help offset my 1k- selling it on Ebay-( where if you're still looking for automotive related tools and equipment, there seems to be plenty from the Elio plant!)

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Half the people who reserved one are going to be on life support - or dead - before they have a chance of seeing an Elio, so that should make low-mileage used models pretty available.

Hell, I might sell #860 without ever driving it, or any other Elio, with all their bull about test drives. Let someone else take the hit on first year depreciation.

A little pessimistic are we? I doubt there will be any depreciation on the first model year Elios as many people will want to buy used ones so they don't have to wait for one to be produced...that's how popular they'll be...

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A little pessimistic are we? I doubt there will be any depreciation on the first model year Elios as many people will want to buy used ones so they don't have to wait for one to be produced...that's how popular they'll be...

Yes, a little pessimistic me are (from StarWars thread,(today is StarWars Day)),
Are we all just a little bit? wee little bit? smig? pessimistic??

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not fully convinced on how popular and in demand they will be myself. I was part of the smart car forum before they came out, and they also thought everyone would be dieing for them. I was surprised that not long after they came out I seen one at a local car lot without a buyer in sight.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At $6800 , I doubt pre-owned Elios will command any premium . However, If the Elio project mirrors the Delorean type scenario with limited production years and a hasty departure , I think they could easily double in value . Not sure the T-shirt will fetch more than $10 ever ;)

Top Bottom