• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Your Elio Retain Its Resale Value?

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At $6800 , I doubt pre-owned Elios will command any premium . However, If the Elio project mirrors the Delorean type scenario with limited production years and a hasty departure , I think they could easily double in value . Not sure the T-shirt will fetch more than $10 ever ;)
I'm not sure what aspect of the Delorean your comparing to. They are so far apart as to who and what they appeal too, cost as well as practically every other aspect. I expect the Elio will travel a similar path to the original Volkswagen. But yet with some more real advantages over the original Volks for economical upkeep. If the car holds up well then real value will hold up especially for a well documented original year models. Of course once again if Elio production sours and the car remains solid that will assure a collectable value for all and especially for a well authenticated first year production model With an authentic "production number". I'm seeing that a little with my 2003 Element.

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure what aspect of the Delorean your comparing to. They are so far apart as to who and what they appeal too, cost as well as practically every other aspect. I expect the Elio will travel a similar path to the original Volkswagen. But yet with some more real advantages over the original Volks for economical upkeep. If the car holds up well then real value will hold up especially for a well documented original year models. Of course once again if Elio production sours and the car remains solid that will assure a collectable value for all and especially for a well authenticated first year production model With an authentic "production number". I'm seeing that a little with my 2003 Element.

I would think that the comparisons with DeLorean would be obvious, though not an exact parallel. Charismatic guy starts a vehicle company, with a unique/offbeat design, has money problems. Whether the parallel holds with limited production, a lawsuit, and bankruptcy remains to be seen.

The VW parallel is also there. Perhaps a fascist government will take over the company, lead the world into war, and the company will go on to produced millions of the model before moving on to other vehicles.

There are lots of other parallels: 1937 Airomobile, Ford, Dale, Maxwell, Corbin, Studebaker, Yugo, Bricklin, Goggomobile, DeSoto, Messerschmidt, Aptera, Edsel and on and on. Some are closer than others.

Historically, the trend is to have a steady decline in resale, until age and collectibility set in. A few cars are instant classics. Many never achieve collectible status. Some have a brief run where demand outpaces supply.

I'm not convinced that buying up mass quantities of Elio reservations is the path to wealth and fortune, but I've been wrong about lots of things.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that buying one Elio reservation is the path to owning an Elio.
At this time, anyone selling their reservation must do so at a loss. With the incentives still in place, there is no benefit to be gained buying someone's reservation, as opposed to directly dealing with EM, The first opportunity to perhaps break-even, if the incentives are no longer offered and no sign of E's being made (like today -when/if the loan guarantee is approved it will immediately add value as the odds of production goes up). The next (and perhaps most profitable) will be when they close the first year's production list. i.e. if there is now a complete list of all $ levels published, everyone will know their spot in line. So, lets say, someone with a $100.00 want in will be waiting for the 50,000th +/- unit , might, at that time, buy their way closer to getting an E. this will be of benefit to the seller, as the total paperwork will be transferring a name thru EM, and receiving cash.
The more difficult, and perhaps more profitable, is to buy the E, and sell it. The upside- someone who "must" have it, the downside, you have to pay in full for the E, buyer must too pay you in cash and hope the buyer will like the color and options you select and at a competitive price (you will not be alone with this plan) - and you're selling a "used" E
This last option is my plan, I have three reservations- take delivery (of 7013, my 1k all-in) and try to sell it for (I'm thinking 5k above my costs) if I sell it great,- If I can't sell ? keep it and sell my $100 all-in. face value will be $150 (with incentive) (at that time I'm not sure if you sell your spot in line the incentive is transferrable
E's not hot sell the second E. and then take the $100.00 refund on the- want in, Of course the downside, no e's ever made- I'll lose $1200 total. $1300, if they are unable to make refunds. Let's hope the last doesn't happen to any of us

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The more difficult, and perhaps more profitable, is to buy the E, and sell it. The upside- someone who "must" have it, the downside, you have to pay in full for the E, buyer must too pay you in cash and hope the buyer will like the color and options you select and at a competitive price (you will not be alone with this plan) - and you're selling a "used" E

E's not hot sell the second E. and then take the $100.00 refund on the- want in, Of course the downside, no e's ever made- I'll lose $1200 total. $1300, if they are unable to make refunds. Let's hope the last doesn't happen to any of us

one more consideration of ordering an Elio and selling it in an attempt to recoup your money is, would the factory warranty be transferable .. ???? ... if so , that could be a major plus ..... if not, that could be a major minus

amen on the last part .. :)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
one more consideration of ordering an Elio and selling it in an attempt to recoup your money is, would the factory warranty be transferable .. ???? ... if so , that could be a major plus ..... if not, that could be a major minus

amen on the last part .. :)
In this day and age I don't think it would be possible as supported by TY's comment
Like insurance it's the car, not the driver

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At $6800 , I doubt pre-owned Elios will command any premium . However, If the Elio project mirrors the Delorean type scenario with limited production years and a hasty departure , I think they could easily double in value . Not sure the T-shirt will fetch more than $10 ever ;)

Depends on how long a person will have to wait to get a new one...we live in an immediate society these days, meaning people don't want to wait for anything...I could easily see people offering to buy someone's Elio at close to what they paid for it if they know they'll have to wait several months or more to get a new one...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In this day and age I don't think it would be possible as supported by TY's comment
Like insurance it's the car, not the driver

I know that in the RV industry .... new travel trailers and 5th wheel campers come with a 1 or more year OEM warranty but its for the original owner only

Top Bottom