• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Buy Elio (don't Worry, I'm All In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Lee

Elio Fan
Reaction score
All I can say is I'll believe it when I see it. I've been 'all in' at $1K since early '13, my reservation # is 3412. Personally, I think XXXXXXXXXXX Paul Elio is laughing all the way to the bank

edited to remove unsubstantiated insults/accusations

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Smith

Elio Fan
Reaction score
OK, so I work with a guy who is all gaga about the Tesla Model 3. I think it's pretty cool too, but I decided to do a little comparison to further convince myself I had already made the right decision by going All-In for an Elio (#14559). So let's do a little comparison.

(PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT attempting to bad mouth any particular vehicle manufacturer or models, I am only trying to provide information for entertainment purposes only - I am not associated with any manufacturer of any type of motorized conveyance. The only reason I chose to compare to this particular electric vehicle is that it is simply the most efficient one to compare to, and all others would fare much worse off. The contents of this posting are simply my opinions.)

Granted, the first thing is that they ARE NOT a head to head comparison. If you need to carry more than 2 people a majority of the time, the Elio is not for you. If you are like about 90% (my own estimate) of people who drive to work solo, then perhaps the Tesla is not for you. There is a lot of personal input to the equation of deciding what vehicle is right for you (and no amount of convincing is going to change a hard-core Tesla fan's mind). But if you know someone who is on the fence, then here are some nuggets to share.

Neither vehicle will be available until the 2018 model year.
Elio BASE price is advertised at $6800. Tesla Model 3 BASE price is advertised at $35,000.
Elio carries two people. Tesla carries 5.
Elio gets (expected) up to 84 MPG highway. Tesla gets (expected) up to 215 miles per charge.
(you are wondering by now - how is there any way to compare these two? Stay tuned.)
Fully loaded Elio should price out to about $14,173 (if you pick EVERY OPTION available on myelio.me). Fully loaded Model 3 - estimates running as high as $84,000!) [http://www.model3forum.com/threads/fully-loaded-model-3.41/]

With current supercharging stations installed, you could drive across the country, so long as you stop for at least 30 minutes every (215 miles x 80% =) 172 miles in your Tesla. Their website states 80% charge in as little as 30 minutes. You must also follow the (somewhat) limited path defined by the supercharging stations in a block like pattern across the map. The range above assumes you do not use ludicrous speed and drive it like granny.

With current gas stations (every few hundred yards) you can go any freakin' way you want to, about 575 miles at a time (let's not run it completely dry). And then fill up in about 3 minutes and be on your way.

COST OF FUEL:
MODEL 3
Model 3 base model battery will likely be 40kWh. Cost of electricity at home is $0.11 per kWh (in my area - your costs may be different, adjust accordingly). So a 100% charge will be 40 x $0.11 = $4.40 (this assumes 100% efficiency, which will not happen). Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they can attain 90% efficiency. Now the cost to "fill up" the Model 3 (at home) is $4.89.
$4.89 / 172 = $0.028 per mile (when filling at home - which will likely be a majority of miles driven)

On the road, the supercharging stations exist for a profit, so assume they will sell the electricity for $0.22 per kWh (since 100% is the standard retail markup). So now getting that 80% charge every 172 miles will run you $7.82 (that is calculated as $0.22 x 40 (kWh) x 0.8 (80% charge) / 0.9 (90% efficiency factor).
$7.82 / 172 = $0.045 per mile.

If you live in an area serviced by hydroelectric power, then there is little carbon footprint resulting from powering a Tesla. If, however, you live in an area where the primary sources of power are coal or nuclear, then the carbon footprint attributable to fueling an electric vehicle is (probably - I have nothing to back this up) greater than the less than a cow's farts impact of the Elio.

ELIO:
Drive 575 miles at 75.6 MPG (average - let's use that same 90% for grins, because it will not ALL be highway miles, and that mileage is EPA estimated at about 55 MPH, so let's be realistic), buy 7.6 gallons. Average price of regular gas is (pick a number) $2.25 = $17.10.
$17.10 / 575 = $0.0297 per mile. (and if you DO get 84 MPG, that cost is only $0.0267 per mile!)

SAFETY:
Both vehicles are "designed to meet 5 Star Safety Ratings"
The Elio needs an iPad mini (assume any iPad will work) for most features to work best.
The Tesla has a freakin' 17 inch LCD in full view of the driver. Talk about distracted driving!

There is no way it makes economic sense to buy any electric vehicle (ANY model) IF you are at all concerned about cost of ownership (I never thought it did, even without the option of owning an Elio). If you WANT one, then go that way. As for me and my $$, it's Elio all the way!
OK, so I work with a guy who is all gaga about the Tesla Model 3. I think it's pretty cool too, but I decided to do a little comparison to further convince myself I had already made the right decision by going All-In for an Elio (#14559). So let's do a little comparison.

(PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT attempting to bad mouth any particular vehicle manufacturer or models, I am only trying to provide information for entertainment purposes only - I am not associated with any manufacturer of any type of motorized conveyance. The only reason I chose to compare to this particular electric vehicle is that it is simply the most efficient one to compare to, and all others would fare much worse off. The contents of this posting are simply my opinions.)

Granted, the first thing is that they ARE NOT a head to head comparison. If you need to carry more than 2 people a majority of the time, the Elio is not for you. If you are like about 90% (my own estimate) of people who drive to work solo, then perhaps the Tesla is not for you. There is a lot of personal input to the equation of deciding what vehicle is right for you (and no amount of convincing is going to change a hard-core Tesla fan's mind). But if you know someone who is on the fence, then here are some nuggets to share.

Elio BASE price is advertised at $6800. Tesla Model 3 BASE price is advertised at $35,000.
Elio gets (expected) up to 84 MPG highway. Tesla gets (expected) up to 215 miles per charge.
(you are wondering by now - how is there any way to compare these two? Stay tuned.)
Fully loaded Elio should price out to about $14,173 (if you pick EVERY OPTION available on myelio.me). Fully loaded Model 3 - estimates running as high as $84,000!) [http://www.model3forum.com/threads/fully-loaded-model-3.41/]

With current supercharging stations installed, you could drive across the country, so long as you stop for at least 30 minutes every (215 miles x 80% =) 172 miles in your Tesla. Their website states 80% charge in as little as 30 minutes. You must also follow the (somewhat) limited path defined by the supercharging stations in a block like pattern across the map. The range above assumes you do not use ludicrous speed and drive it like granny.

With current gas stations (every few hundred yards) you can go any freakin' way you want to, about 575 miles at a time (let's not run it completely dry). And then fill up in about 3 minutes and be on your way.

COST OF FUEL:
MODEL 3
Model 3 base model battery will likely be 40kWh. Cost of electricity at home is $0.11 per kWh (in my area - your costs may be different, adjust accordingly). So a 100% charge will be 40 x $0.11 = $4.40 (this assumes 100% efficiency, which will not happen). Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they can attain 90% efficiency. Now the cost to "fill up" the Model 3 (at home) is $4.89.
$4.89 / 172 = $0.028 per mile (when filling at home - which will likely be a majority of miles driven)

On the road, the supercharging stations exist for a profit, so assume they will sell the electricity for $0.22 per kWh (since 100% is the standard retail markup). So now getting that 80% charge every 172 miles will run you $7.82 (that is calculated as $0.22 x 40 (kWh) x 0.8 (80% charge) / 0.9 (90% efficiency factor).

If you live in an area serviced by hydroelectric power, then there is little carbon footprint resulting from powering a Tesla. If, however, you live in an area where the primary sources of power are coal or nuclear, then the carbon footprint attributable to fueling an electric vehicle is (probably - I have nothing to back this up) greater than the less than a cow's farts impact of the Elio.

ELIO:
Drive 575 miles at 75.6 MPG (average - let's use that same 90% for grins, because it will not ALL be highway miles, and that mileage is EPA estimated at about 55 MPH, so let's be realistic), buy 7.6 gallons. Average price of regular gas is (pick a number) $2.25 = $17.10.
$17.10 / 575 = $0.0297 per mile. (and if you DO get 84 MPG, that cost is only $0.0267 per mile!)

SAFETY:
The Elio needs an iPad mini (assume any iPad will work) for most features to work best.
The Tesla has a freakin' 17 inch LCD in full view of the driver. Talk about distracted driving!

There is no way it makes economic sense to buy any electric vehicle (ANY model) IF you are at all concerned about cost of ownership (I never thought it did, even without the option of owning an Elio). If you WANT one, then go that way. As for me and my $$, it's Elio all the way!

Dennis Smith

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the article, Mike!

I am looking forward to taking ownership of an Elio, and am grateful that I went all in with $1K.

COST OF FUEL:
MODEL 3

ELIO:

SAFETY:

RadRich

Elio Fan
Reaction score
All I can say is I'll believe it when I see it. I've been 'all in' at $1K since early '13, my reservation # is 3412. Personally, I think XXXXXX and Paul Elio is laughing all the way to the bank

Yep, I agree. There's something suspect about Elio, not sure but I see it in his eyes.
It was a nice fantasy putting down $1k. I think I did it just to be part of something big...like when I backed the Pebble watch or helped fund Veronica Mars.
Oh well. Easy come, easy go. I don't really need 5 cars, but would like something better than the MPG I'm getting commuting to work. So far my motorcycle is fitting the bill :) $6 fill up once a week, vs $40+ for my Q50.

quote on which this post was based has been edited to remove unsubstantiated insults/accusations

Last edited by a moderator:

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you do a cost comparison against anything larger than a scooter, the Elio wins.
It doesn't even have to be bigger than a scooter.

I have a Kymco People 50 scooter (49cc). It cost about $2300 and gets around 50 MPG. Been my a 2-stroke, I bet it puts out more pollution than an Elio, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I have a Kymco People 50 scooter (49cc). It cost about $2300 and gets around 50 MPG. Been my a 2-stroke, I bet it puts out more pollution than an Elio, too.

Hmmm. I've got a '95 250cc Yamaha Virago Twin.

Cost me $1500 in like-new condition w' 2800 miles on the clock.
Is now dressed out and often gets mistaken for an 883.
Has never been mistaken for a scooter.
18HP and a good gear ratio curve.
Goes like a violated Ape.
Gets 80mpg.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm. I've got a '95 250cc Yamaha Virago Twin.

Cost me $1500 in like-new condition w' 2800 miles on the clock.
Is now dressed out and often gets mistaken for an 883.
Has never been mistaken for a scooter.
18HP and a good gear ratio curve.
Goes like a violated Ape.
Gets 80mpg.
It sounds like a wonderful dry weather vehicle. I wish I could handle a motorcyle, but I can't. (I actually tried, but couldn't operate the foot shift due to neuropathy.)

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

According to the EPA, a 2 stroke puts out about 30-50 TIMES as much pollution as an equivalent output 4 stroke engine.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did the EPA say that before or after they contaminated rivers in three states thru stupidity, incompetence, and negligence?
Government rules US, not the other way around. They are free to contaminate us and are exempt from legal recourse unlike mere individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom