• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Buy Elio (don't Worry, I'm All In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Badgle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
OK, so I work with a guy who is all gaga about the Tesla Model 3. I think it's pretty cool too, but I decided to do a little comparison to further convince myself I had already made the right decision by going All-In for an Elio (#14559). So let's do a little comparison.

(PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT attempting to bad mouth any particular vehicle manufacturer or models, I am only trying to provide information for entertainment purposes only - I am not associated with any manufacturer of any type of motorized conveyance. The only reason I chose to compare to this particular electric vehicle is that it is simply the most efficient one to compare to, and all others would fare much worse off. The contents of this posting are simply my opinions.)

Granted, the first thing is that they ARE NOT a head to head comparison. If you need to carry more than 2 people a majority of the time, the Elio is not for you. If you are like about 90% (my own estimate) of people who drive to work solo, then perhaps the Tesla is not for you. There is a lot of personal input to the equation of deciding what vehicle is right for you (and no amount of convincing is going to change a hard-core Tesla fan's mind). But if you know someone who is on the fence, then here are some nuggets to share.

Neither vehicle will be available until the 2018 model year.
Elio BASE price is advertised at $6800. Tesla Model 3 BASE price is advertised at $35,000.
Elio carries two people. Tesla carries 5.
Elio gets (expected) up to 84 MPG highway. Tesla gets (expected) up to 215 miles per charge.
(you are wondering by now - how is there any way to compare these two? Stay tuned.)
Fully loaded Elio should price out to about $14,173 (if you pick EVERY OPTION available on myelio.me). Fully loaded Model 3 - estimates running as high as $84,000!) [http://www.model3forum.com/threads/fully-loaded-model-3.41/]

With current supercharging stations installed, you could drive across the country, so long as you stop for at least 30 minutes every (215 miles x 80% =) 172 miles in your Tesla. Their website states 80% charge in as little as 30 minutes. You must also follow the (somewhat) limited path defined by the supercharging stations in a block like pattern across the map. The range above assumes you do not use ludicrous speed and drive it like granny.

With current gas stations (every few hundred yards) you can go any freakin' way you want to, about 575 miles at a time (let's not run it completely dry). And then fill up in about 3 minutes and be on your way.

COST OF FUEL:
MODEL 3
Model 3 base model battery will likely be 40kWh. Cost of electricity at home is $0.11 per kWh (in my area - your costs may be different, adjust accordingly). So a 100% charge will be 40 x $0.11 = $4.40 (this assumes 100% efficiency, which will not happen). Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they can attain 90% efficiency. Now the cost to "fill up" the Model 3 (at home) is $4.89.
$4.89 / 172 = $0.028 per mile (when filling at home - which will likely be a majority of miles driven)

On the road, the supercharging stations exist for a profit, so assume they will sell the electricity for $0.22 per kWh (since 100% is the standard retail markup). So now getting that 80% charge every 172 miles will run you $7.82 (that is calculated as $0.22 x 40 (kWh) x 0.8 (80% charge) / 0.9 (90% efficiency factor).
$7.82 / 172 = $0.045 per mile.

If you live in an area serviced by hydroelectric power, then there is little carbon footprint resulting from powering a Tesla. If, however, you live in an area where the primary sources of power are coal or nuclear, then the carbon footprint attributable to fueling an electric vehicle is (probably - I have nothing to back this up) greater than the less than a cow's farts impact of the Elio.

ELIO:
Drive 575 miles at 75.6 MPG (average - let's use that same 90% for grins, because it will not ALL be highway miles, and that mileage is EPA estimated at about 55 MPH, so let's be realistic), buy 7.6 gallons. Average price of regular gas is (pick a number) $2.25 = $17.10.
$17.10 / 575 = $0.0297 per mile. (and if you DO get 84 MPG, that cost is only $0.0267 per mile!)

SAFETY:
Both vehicles are "designed to meet 5 Star Safety Ratings"
The Elio needs an iPad mini (assume any iPad will work) for most features to work best.
The Tesla has a freakin' 17 inch LCD in full view of the driver. Talk about distracted driving!

There is no way it makes economic sense to buy any electric vehicle (ANY model) IF you are at all concerned about cost of ownership (I never thought it did, even without the option of owning an Elio). If you WANT one, then go that way. As for me and my $$, it's Elio all the way!

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you do a cost comparison against anything larger than a scooter, the Elio wins. It is by far the most cost effective 4-season method of transportation currently planned. EVs will likely catch up, eventually, but if gas prices increase at twice the rate of electric power (15%/year gas, 6%/year electric and using a ~$12k difference in base price [based on Versa vs Leaf]), it will take until 2023 for that to happen.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt for many Tesla owners it is about cost of ownership, definitely not those optioning out to $80k. I bet the Tesla will have a more luxurious ride and much better performance. They are really not intended for the same audience.

"Both vehicles are "designed to meet 5 Star Safety Ratings"" - I think Elio dropped this and changed it to "uncompromised safety". I have not kept up with the Tesla 3 news, but figure it will likely have options for safety nannies like lane departure, blindspot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, etc that the Elio will not.

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't want all those electronic gizmos anyway. All they do is get in the way when working and then eventually break costing me more in repairs on top of the higher initial cost. I'd even prefer a manual lock, hand crank windows and no cruise control if it shaved a few hundred off the purchase price.

Definitely, which is why we are on an Elio board instead of a Tesla 3 board. Different target audiences.

One of the things I loved about my 2006 Kia Rio LX was that the only options it had over the base model were the radio and AC. Hand crank windows and locks, manual transmission, manual seats... So little to break, it was marvelous. But then I got lured by the Siren's Song of the MINI Cooper S. That one spent almost as much time at the shop as she did in my driveway...

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, so I work with a guy who is all gaga about the Tesla Model 3. I think it's pretty cool too, but I decided to do a little comparison to further convince myself I had already made the right decision by going All-In for an Elio (#14559). So let's do a little comparison.

(PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT attempting to bad mouth any particular vehicle manufacturer or models, I am only trying to provide information for entertainment purposes only - I am not associated with any manufacturer of any type of motorized conveyance. The only reason I chose to compare to this particular electric vehicle is that it is simply the most efficient one to compare to, and all others would fare much worse off. The contents of this posting are simply my opinions.)

Granted, the first thing is that they ARE NOT a head to head comparison. If you need to carry more than 2 people a majority of the time, the Elio is not for you. If you are like about 90% (my own estimate) of people who drive to work solo, then perhaps the Tesla is not for you. There is a lot of personal input to the equation of deciding what vehicle is right for you (and no amount of convincing is going to change a hard-core Tesla fan's mind). But if you know someone who is on the fence, then here are some nuggets to share.

Neither vehicle will be available until the 2018 model year.
Elio BASE price is advertised at $6800. Tesla Model 3 BASE price is advertised at $35,000.
Elio carries two people. Tesla carries 5.
Elio gets (expected) up to 84 MPG highway. Tesla gets (expected) up to 215 miles per charge.
(you are wondering by now - how is there any way to compare these two? Stay tuned.)
Fully loaded Elio should price out to about $14,173 (if you pick EVERY OPTION available on myelio.me). Fully loaded Model 3 - estimates running as high as $84,000!) [http://www.model3forum.com/threads/fully-loaded-model-3.41/]

With current supercharging stations installed, you could drive across the country, so long as you stop for at least 30 minutes every (215 miles x 80% =) 172 miles in your Tesla. Their website states 80% charge in as little as 30 minutes. You must also follow the (somewhat) limited path defined by the supercharging stations in a block like pattern across the map. The range above assumes you do not use ludicrous speed and drive it like granny.

With current gas stations (every few hundred yards) you can go any freakin' way you want to, about 575 miles at a time (let's not run it completely dry). And then fill up in about 3 minutes and be on your way.

COST OF FUEL:
MODEL 3
Model 3 base model battery will likely be 40kWh. Cost of electricity at home is $0.11 per kWh (in my area - your costs may be different, adjust accordingly). So a 100% charge will be 40 x $0.11 = $4.40 (this assumes 100% efficiency, which will not happen). Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they can attain 90% efficiency. Now the cost to "fill up" the Model 3 (at home) is $4.89.
$4.89 / 172 = $0.028 per mile (when filling at home - which will likely be a majority of miles driven)

On the road, the supercharging stations exist for a profit, so assume they will sell the electricity for $0.22 per kWh (since 100% is the standard retail markup). So now getting that 80% charge every 172 miles will run you $7.82 (that is calculated as $0.22 x 40 (kWh) x 0.8 (80% charge) / 0.9 (90% efficiency factor).
$7.82 / 172 = $0.045 per mile.

If you live in an area serviced by hydroelectric power, then there is little carbon footprint resulting from powering a Tesla. If, however, you live in an area where the primary sources of power are coal or nuclear, then the carbon footprint attributable to fueling an electric vehicle is (probably - I have nothing to back this up) greater than the less than a cow's farts impact of the Elio.

ELIO:
Drive 575 miles at 75.6 MPG (average - let's use that same 90% for grins, because it will not ALL be highway miles, and that mileage is EPA estimated at about 55 MPH, so let's be realistic), buy 7.6 gallons. Average price of regular gas is (pick a number) $2.25 = $17.10.
$17.10 / 575 = $0.0297 per mile. (and if you DO get 84 MPG, that cost is only $0.0267 per mile!)

SAFETY:
Both vehicles are "designed to meet 5 Star Safety Ratings"
The Elio needs an iPad mini (assume any iPad will work) for most features to work best.
The Tesla has a freakin' 17 inch LCD in full view of the driver. Talk about distracted driving!

There is no way it makes economic sense to buy any electric vehicle (ANY model) IF you are at all concerned about cost of ownership (I never thought it did, even without the option of owning an Elio). If you WANT one, then go that way. As for me and my $$, it's Elio all the way!

As to your post, I have one comment. DAMN! :clap2:

Mike Badgle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
If you do a cost comparison against anything larger than a scooter, the Elio wins. It is by far the most cost effective 4-season method of transportation currently planned. EVs will likely catch up, eventually, but if gas prices increase at twice the rate of electric power (15%/year gas, 6%/year electric and using a ~$12k difference in base price [based on Versa vs Leaf]), it will take until 2023 for that to happen.
I once did a quick cost comparison between my 2006 Mustang (averaging 20 MPG) and the Tesla Model S. At the cost difference and at $3.00 a gallon, I would have to drive the Tesla 285,000 miles to break even, and I don't think I even included the cost of the electricity in that analysis, just the cost differential for purchase.

Mike Badgle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I doubt for many Tesla owners it is about cost of ownership, definitely not those optioning out to $80k. I bet the Tesla will have a more luxurious ride and much better performance. They are really not intended for the same audience.

"Both vehicles are "designed to meet 5 Star Safety Ratings"" - I think Elio dropped this and changed it to "uncompromised safety". I have not kept up with the Tesla 3 news, but figure it will likely have options for safety nannies like lane departure, blindspot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, etc that the Elio will not.

Agreed - most definitely not the same audience. But both groups have (I think) a similar wish to reduce the impact on the planet - and my pocket too!

And - yes - Tesla has (or will have) a LOT of extras that we won't have. The only thing that really interests me is the possibility for self-driving, as my wife is legally blind and SHE would really like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom