• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Transmission

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've heard a number of people speculating about paddle / slap shifters, but other than idle speculation from forum members, never heard Elio mention them. Considering the linkage involved my guess is you will need to add at least $800 to $1000 to get the paddle shifter on the steering wheel.

Linkage? Aren't paddle shifters simple contact switches that tell the computer to shift?

edit: of course the electronic shifting is only on the AMT with the computer. If the standard form has no computer than there would be linkag e issues.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Linkage? Aren't paddle shifters simple contact switches that tell the computer to shift?

edit: of course the electronic shifting is only on the AMT with the computer. If the standard form has no computer than there would be linkag e issues.

Not to be argumentative, but ........
You have to mount the paddle(s) someplace.
It needs some type of return spring arrangement for the paddle(s).
It needs the switches that you mentioned.
It needs a wiring harness.
Oh, and the steering column will probably need some kind of modification.
I think I'll still go with the $800 to $1000 guesstimate over and above the AMT option.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not to be argumentative, but ........
You have to mount the paddle(s) someplace.
It needs some type of return spring arrangement for the paddle(s).
It needs the switches that you mentioned.
It needs a wiring harness.
Oh, and the steering column will probably need some kind of modification.
I think I'll still go with the $800 to $1000 guesstimate over and above the AMT option.

Of course everything you say is correct. When you said linkage originally I thought you were saying that the paddles would need something like the major mechanicals that accompanied the likes of a three on the tree of yesteryear.

I've never worked on a paddle shifter so I really don't know anything about how they work but I imagine that the paddles and actuators would be roughly equivalent to what is needed for modern multi-function turn signal stocks. It should fit fine but yes, it would cost money to put in the controls and the additional harness, and potentially even a different column.

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that the price for the auto trans is a little high? If it's just a computer type system why is it so expensive? When it was first discussed a few years back they were estimating about half that cost. Not knowing anything about the components involved I could use some additional information from those in the know.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jayne --- I agree $1050 is a bit rich for the AMT however there is quite a bit of machinery involved to enable a 5 speed manual transmission to be clutched and shifted electronically. X and Y plane actuators do the same function as moving the manual gear shift left and right and fore and aft. Speed sensors on the input and output shafts. Clutch actuator and clutch position sensor. Transmission control computer and engine computer interface. Lots of additional wiring and switches. Lots of stuff needed to make it all happen (automatically).

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jayne --- I agree $1050 is a bit rich for the AMT however there is quite a bit of machinery involved to enable a 5 speed manual transmission to be clutched and shifted electronically. X and Y plane actuators do the same function as moving the manual gear shift left and right and fore and aft. Speed sensors on the input and output shafts. Clutch actuator and clutch position sensor. Transmission control computer and engine computer interface. Lots of additional wiring and switches. Lots of stuff needed to make it all happen (automatically).

All these things have already been developed and is being mass produced and in service in multiple vehicles overseas.

Here is an article of ATMs in India

dancote

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Before any of you decide to purchase the AMT, please drive a smart (prior model). It does not drive like the automatic transmission you're accustomed to and has been excoriated by the automotive press. We have 2 of them and we like them but you're mileage may vary.

... and the shifter has PRNDL markings

Last edited:
Top Bottom