• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Transmission

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I keep hearing about optional equipment that I have not seen in the configuration utility. Has any plan been said about when the configuration utility will be updated to include the currently expected options and approximate prices?

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm surprised EM didn't opt for a CVT transmission, especially since they are trying to achieve the 84 MPG target.

A properly tuned CVT transmission allows the engine to operate at peak torque at all times. Resulting in better efficiency and better fuel economy. The downside of CVT transmissions is "rubber-banding" effect. But this is usually manifested only in very powerful race engines (over 350 Hp). The Elio is only 55 ft/lb torque, so rubber banding would not be an issue.

Also, a CVT transmission has a LOT less moving parts than a conventional clutch/gearbox arrangement. In fact, A CVT transmission essentially has only 3 components:
  • A high-power metal or rubber belt
  • A variable-input "driving" pulley
  • An output "driven" pulley
Its much lighter, and takes up less space than a conventional transmission.

IMO, the Elio is begging for a CVT transmission.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I own a first gen Honda Insight with a properly-tuned CVT. It's buttery-smooth to the point of being invisible, but CVTs are not as efficient as manual transmissions. Manual Insights will easily best the CVT's MPG by 20% or more. The CVT has significant losses from friction of the drive belt on the pulleys, and from the hydraulic system required to operate the variable pulleys and the forward clutch pack.

CVT's also contain many more parts and are more complicated than a manual transmission. Honda won't even repair the CVTs anymore, let alone independent shops. Almost any shop can and will repair the manual (which needs it due to typical Honda input shaft bearing failures).
Compare the parts count for the manual and CVT here:
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/2005-honda-insight-3dr_dx-ka-cvt-parts.html
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/2005-honda-insight-3dr_dx_a_1_c-ka-5mt-parts.html

For maximum fuel economy I'm pretty sure a manual transmission is the best choice.
For maximizing cost/benefit ratio, I have no doubt a manual transmission is the best choice.
For providing an automatic option, an automated manual provides the best cost and highest efficiency.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
There is another thread on here that we did 40 or 50 pages on about the CVT's
CVT is good for city, not so much at high speed long distance cruising, plus I don't think you can get the same type of mileage that the Elio needs to have for the RPM range it's designed for.

AAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Here we go again!!!
<Tastes great - Less filling- Taste great - LESS FILLING - TASTES GREAT -LESS Aggravation!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom