• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Transmission

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Gas-Powered Awsome

Are you on the ICN forum? You can't beat the manual trans for mileage.
CVT's require a lot of maintenance during their use. The Manual only requires a fluid change every 100K miles.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am on IC, if that's what you mean. Only CVT maintenance so far is changing fluid and lubing the shift lever so it doesn't break. Filters are on the list but they aren't due for a little while even on the IC-approved accelerated maintenance schedule.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just like the idea of having more than 1 gear (ok 2, 1 - forward, 1 - backwards)
I want to tell the vehicle what I want it to do, not have the vehicle dictate to me.
I don't know, I love the one gear in our Leaf :p Although for the first few weeks, accellerating up to highway speed without the sound of shifting was kinda creepy.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope, no more PRNDL, it will now be like the picture:
View attachment 10895

RNE- -M+
R=Reverse
N=Neutral
E=EVERY GEAR (same as D) {Some car companies call it Economy Mode)
-M+=Manual shift mode (you would put it in M to use the paddle shifters)

Some others do it opposite side

View attachment 10896
Good....I like the"Euro" type better.

I've heard a number of people speculating about paddle / slap shifters, but other than idle speculation from forum members, never heard Elio mention them. Considering the linkage involved my guess is you will need to add at least $800 to $1000 to get the paddle shifter on the steering wheel.
I was told at the Greenwood show that the steering wheel is from the Dodge Viper .... all the electronics are there including the paddles !

Linkage? Aren't paddle shifters simple contact switches that tell the computer to shift?

edit: of course the electronic shifting is only on the AMT with the computer. If the standard form has no computer than there would be linkag e issues.
Yes...just switches.

Unfortunately, due to left hip problems I am no longer able to use a clutch so my Elio must be with an AMT.

My Elio will cost more for the AMT but it will be a requirement as a need not as a want
Ditto !
Same here. I'm healthy, but since my wife cannot/will not drive a Manual, we need to get the AMT.

Although I've been warming to the idea of the AMT anyways; my primary aversion to traditional automatics is the high repair/replacement cost of the transmission when it fails. Manuals and (single-clutch) AMTs are essentially the same, in that they can be repaired with a little elbow grease and a couple inexpensive parts.

As it is, it looks like we're selling my current daily driver ('96 Toyota Rav4) and replacing it with something that has an automatic transmission so that my wife can drive places beyond the range of our other car (our Nissan Leaf). 99% of the time we don't need any extra range, but there has been a few occasions we've had to borrow a car from somebody else, and I'd rather not have to rely on the goodwill of others in a pinch.
There are many smarts which uses the AMT that have over 100,000 miles (mine included) any many approaching 200,000 !

The paddle shifters in the Elio will be optional, not standard equipment.
But, they ARE part of the steering wheel.

Top Bottom